2021 Cardinals MLB Game 8 thread – Saturday, April 10 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 8 thread – Saturday, April 10 vs. Brewers

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Order has been restored, sadly. I was not able to catch today’s game and the team dropped to 1-3 in games I’ve missed. Still 4-0 when I’ve watched. Sounds like Carlos was OK til his last inning, then Webb threw the game away and the offense couldn’t catch up. Still, 11 hits will win you some ball games. Hopefully go win the series tomorrow.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The STL win expectancy after Carlos retired the last batter in the top of the fifth was 16.4% (fangraphs).

This isn’t a knock on Martinez, that he was horrible. It’s more of a realization by WE that managers throw their when behind relievers at this point, and they’re not the best any pen has to offer. Todays game is a good example why it’s hard to make up the deficit (Webb, Miller), when your Reyes, Hicks, Gallegos and Cabrera when ahead relievers don’t enter the game.

Did Carlos keep us in the game? If the score had been 3-3, I’d say yes. But with 12 outs to go, down 3, the realization of which relievers Shildt will likely use comes into play. That’s as much on our lineup as it is on Carlos’ 5.40 ERA on the day.

MIL tried to error us back into the game, down only one after 6 full, enter Webb and Miller.

The lineup continued it’s late inning scoring trend, but we simply couldn’t outscore our pens runs allowed.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good point jj. On the other side of that coin, the Brewers being way ahead, our late inning offensive burst led by Dean came off a failed MLB reclamation project just back from a stint in Korea.

bccran
    Participant

Not a major league ball player, BB.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I didn’t see the Williams struck by a batted ball play as I was listening to the radio, but Rooney insisted Williams was in foul territory and therefore the home plate ump blew the play when he called Williams out. Rooney was also critical that the third base umpire apparently did not try to help get the call right.

The ball that hit off Williams’ glove later, I did see. He ran a long way, but that ball should have been caught. He overran it slightly.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

This start I see 2 ways by Carlos. He didn’t lose us the game but man it seemed like a lot of flyball outs from the innings I saw.

I saw him talking to Waino and Jack after the inning and maybe he needs to make adjustments a bit. He did get tagged by that liner in what I believe was the same inning. Idk man!

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bling, good counterpoint from the MIL decision making. Before Yadi lead off the bottom of the eighth, the STL win expectancy (WE) was 0.3%
    We had less than 1% chance of winning, which turned out to be correct. Mil could afford to throw a “reclamation project”, ahead 9-2, needing six outs for a win.
    ———
    Dean should start today, imo.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A lopsided score gives players on both sides a chance to fatten up on mop up guys.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

pitching still has some issues looks like hitting was a little better and it is early

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BB, “fatten up” as we hope they will. Now look at those two innings of results.

Molina – single
    Carlson – BB
    Dean – HR
    Williams – F8
    Sosa – HBP
    Edman – F5
    Goldy – groundout
    Arenado – popout
    Knizner – single
    Molina – K
    Carlson – F7

Not everyone fattened up, which is why we can’t downgrade Deans HR. Dean performing as we hoped shouldn’t be thought of negatively.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Brian Walton wrote:

I didn’t see the Williams struck by a batted ball play as I was listening to the radio, but Rooney insisted Williams was in foul territory and therefore the home plate ump blew the play when he called Williams out. Rooney was also critical that the third base umpire apparently did not try to help get the call right.

Disagree with Rooney. It was a borderline call. Could have gone either way. But McLaughlin and Thompson couldnt understand why Williams was even that close to the line in the first place.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Williams was in fair territory, barely. It was the right call.

Lee
    Participant

Woodford needs more innings. He was awesome in spring and just
    needs to get some time on the field. Sitting at the Alt camp is a waste.

Viewing 13 posts - 51 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years