2021 Cardinals MLB Game 75 thread – Thursday, June 24 vs. Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 75 thread – Thursday, June 24 vs. Pirates

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    RHP Carlos Martinez (3-8, 6.62) vs. RHP Chad Kuhl (1-4, 5.66)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Martinez is 3-8 with an ERA of 6.62. As my old departed golf and high school basketball buddy used to say – PITIFUL!

He is pitching himself right out of St. Louis. Hopefully.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

My old boss at the CU Athletics department used to say “Terrible!”, but he pronounced more like “Turr-ible”.

Right now I really have no confidence in the Cardinals ability to beat anybody. Kuhl has good stuff, and you can just see him shutting down our club tomorrow and we end up on the losing end of a 3-1 or 3-2 game.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Somehow I refuse to believe we will lose at home to the Pirates. Their road record is 10-25.

Yes, Carlos is 3-8, but maybe he will have a colorful hairdo. Our good relievers will be able to go again and they got the rust off. We will have to see what kind of a crowd shows up on Thursday night.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We have three more series against the also rans before we have to start playing the big boys again. The Cardinals are playing with fire by not taking advantage of this stretch so far.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nootbaar needs to go on a Hazelbaker type hot streak. I hope they move him up in the lineup and play him everyday.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

More upsetting news from the former-Cardinal contingent last night, as Luke Voit is off the IL and had a walk-off single in a Yankees win.

And Adolis Garcia hit two more home runs for Texas.

With each passing day we get more doubt about the organizations ability to evaluate talent in the system.

Now Voit did net us Gallegos, who is an important member of our club. But you look at trades made the last few years and the players we gave up, and you can build a younger, cheaper and likely more competitive roster by unwinding a lot of the transactions.

It’s not all on management. We have had some tough luck too. Who would have know some of these guys would regress this bad. It was obvious Carpenter would be in decline at his age, but you would think he could still hit .250, with maybe 20 homers and a decent OBP playing say 2/3s of the time.

DeJong is another one. Plus Carlson has not exactly set the world on fire.

But time will tell. We will see how things look in a month as the trade deadline nears.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There seems to be several people in Cardinal land and the media fretting about Arenado opting out because of our poor performance thus far. Personally, I am not stressed about it one bit.

First of all, is he really going to walk away from $179 million going into an offseason where there is a high likelihood of a work stoppage? That doesn’t seem smart. Secondly, even if he did walk way, would that really be the end of the world for the Cardinals? Owing $179M to someone over the age of 30 isn’t great. If he walks they would immediately have another $30M to spend next year and could plug Gorman into his natural 3B spot. What Arenado may or may not do doesn’t even rank in the top 5 Cardinal things to worry about IMO.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Fresh asparagus, followed by breaded filet of cod, brown rice and ratatouille, washed down with a glass of unsweetened iced tea. How’s that for a healthy din-din sports fans? And I’m resisting a strong urge to ruin it all with a dish of chocolate I scream.

As for baseball, I find nothing in the recent performance of our beloved birds to draw me out of my current funk (though Nootbaar’s triple did bring a brief smile to my face). Hope is a dangerous thing.

Rah Cardinals!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Cf you’re funny! GScotar I’m not afraid of Arrenado leaving either. One things for sure “One monkey doesn’t stop the carnival!” Actually come to think of it I’m not afraid of any of our position players leaving!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    2. P. Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    4. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    7. Lars Nootbaar (L) RF
    8. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    9. C. Martinez (R) P

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A few of the younger guy at work are heading for the game tonight with wives/dates. None of them I spoke to have any idea how the team is doing. One said he heard Chris Carpenter isn’t hitting much lately. I said I wouldn’t think so. Maybe they will draw some nice crowds.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

It’s about time they move Edman out of leadoff

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They basically put Edman sixth and slid everyone else up one spot.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Holy Toledo, does Shildt not know anything about lineup construction?????

And it’s not only him. All of MLB is using terrible lineups. I just dont understand it. Maybe they should check some of the manager’s caps. Not for a foreign substance but to see if there’s any brains under that cap.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I doubt Arenado will walk after one year here with the deal he has. Too much uncertainty with the CBA and all.

The brass should work on Gorman as an outfielder. A lot of third baseman have also played the outfield. It would be cool to have a Gorman-O’Neill-Carlson outfield in the near future.

Cards need to go 6-1 in these next seven. We have burned a lot of error margin, such that 5-2 is not really saying much. 6-1 is the minimum acceptable record, with 7-0 preferred.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Cardinal in France, Shawshank quote? Red said that to Andy toward the end. Top 5 flick of all time.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Looks like the wet stuff is going to miss downtown St. Louis tonight. At least according to the Doppler Radar it is.

I am going to call this one 8-1 Redbirds. I think this is the night where it all turns around. In spite of that turrible lineup construction.

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Still no wife so I made up some home made cheddar bay biscuits with bisquick to dunk in some canned clam chowder. Turned out pretty good. And a klondike bar.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I wish I could agree with your score prediction Rat, but surely we are not going to lose at home to the Pirates.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, Carlos is at 23 pitches and got one out so far. 2-0, couple guys on base.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Right on cue that goofball Carlos Martinez gives up two runs in the first.

And right on cue Goldschmidt grounds weakly to 2nd and Avocado strikes out.

The beat goes on………

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Nooty is looking good in the field and at the plate.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Rather than Shidlt’s watered-down lineup change, I would have gone this way.

Nootbar, rf
    Sosa, ss
    O’Neill, lf
    Carlson, cf
    Arenado, 3b
    Goldschmidt, 1b
    Molina, c
    Edman, 2b
    Martinez, p

GACard
    Participant

Free

Now that’s a real shake up mike and one is like to see

A bomb from Reynolds puts some pressure on the offense

At this point you might as well DFA Carlos

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years