2021 Cardinals MLB Game 74 thread – Wednesday, June 23 at Tigers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 74 thread – Wednesday, June 23 at Tigers

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wow, this may be the new low point in a season of lows. At least earlier we were beating the sub .500 teams, but getting thumped by the good clubs. Lately we are not beating anyone, other than the Marlins.

We are bit like a team version of the old Hector Lopez scouting report. It would go something like “Team has trouble scoring runs, poor team speed, pitching is inconsistent, also injury prone, defense needs work, coaching staff not creative, weak bench.”

The obvious problems are the plethora of injuries, especially to pitchers, and no position player is having an outstanding season. Some are having historically bad seasons, while others are below expectations.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It’s sad when your top relievers don’t pitch for 8 days. And not in a good way. This is one of the worst stretches I can remember as far as offense, defense , and pitching combined goes. We really need to beat the Pirates and Dbacks in the next couple of series.

Not the top priority possibly, but I don’t understand why we don’t at least pick up a reliever to win the close games that we can win. Or trade for an innings eater like Gibson from Texas to help.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

The team needs to be selling, not buying

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Some are having historically bad seasons,

Seems like I’ve heard this quite a few times in recent seasons when things aren’t going well. At some point, it’s probably more fitting to say management’s ability to recognize, acquire, and avoid peddling away good talent is painfully bad.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not sure how you throw 70 pitches in 3 innings but John Boy managed it.

It looks like Nooty did well at the plate and in the field. The bar being low helps. DeJong 0fered again. Way to build trade value. Maybe somebody would trade a case of pitching goop for him, couldn’t hurt. I wouldn’t be too worried about the 10 day suspensions.

I understand that Shildt might rearrange the deck chairs next game. Another thing that couldn’t hurt I guess. Maybe move Nooty up in the order.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Shildt changing up the batting order would at least show some signs of life. He is way too predictable in his orders. He always puts a new member to the lineup in the 8th spot.

He often sticks a replacement in the same spot as the starter, like hitting Carpenter third when he spelled Goldschmidt earlier in the season despite Carpenter’s woeful numbers.

He gives the vets the benefit of the doubt, even when they are not doing well. Has DeJong missed a game since he came off the DL, despite not hitting before nor after the injury? He did hit some long balls early on, but he has been doing the Allen Craig thing for a couple of seasons now – a once good hitter gone bad.

I would love to trade him for a John Lackey type, although don’t throw in a Joe Kelly this time. But yeah, who is going to do that on the other side – no one who calls themselves a legitimate general manager.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I was surprised they traded Kelly as early in his career as they did with the way he lit up a radar gun. Granted he didn’t turn into a reliable starter, but he had the potential. Maybe its that he didn’t strike out too many. Didn’t walk too many either though. Or was kind of flaky.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Euro Danny just hit the nail on the head! The totally inept judgement of this front office on young talent has crippled this team for now and the future! There are players all over mlb they were once cards that would make us a ton better right now! I have no hope for the future with Mo running the show! On a other note, we have no chance to turn this around as long as Carpenter and Dejong continue to play everyday! Truthfully I’d rather see Wainwright and Kim bat! We are close to the point of no return! Schildt needs to put his big boy panties on and tell Carpenter and Dejong they are done!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Steve60 the veterans will play as long as they are on the active roster. Especially since there isn’t a hot rookie tearing it up and forcing his way into the lineup. He’s not going to sit a guy making $18 million and hitting .180 in favor of a rookie hitting .215.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

I’ll take the rookie hitting .215, he may hit .285 next year! Hit or get off the bus!

Steve60
    Participant

Free

Blingboy, if you are telling me Carpenter and Dejong are gonna play all year I will predict right now a 100 loss season! Playimg them is like having a 6 man lineup! I will bet you that neither is playing regularly by July 15! It just is suicide to continue to parade them out there. It occurred to me they were walking Molina on purpose to get to Carpenter and I don’t blame them! We are gonna have to pay them whether they play or not! They have no trade value whatsoever, so as soon as Bader comes back I would release them both and play Sosa everyday. He is not batting 215 and it a significant upgrade to Dejong! I’m not a huge Bader guy but prefer him over Carpenter any day in the week! I don’t believe you can play two guys who are hitting well below 200 all season just because they are making a lot of money!

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

Steve60:

DeJong will play all year. Contracts play…they have for decades.
    Carpenter, well, that’s different. He’ll sit against left handers but he’ll play much of the time unless as Blingboy said…there is some fantastic kid who is hall-of-fame material. 18 million dollars will play.

Steve60
    Participant

Free

By July 15 neither will play on a regular basis! Gotta happen!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I mean what can you sell that brings back anything? You can’t sell prospects due to the fact the minors players we’ve got are at least a year or 2 from being on the roster. If you do that you deplete your minors. I mean on the roster who can you get any value from?

I think they hold pat. IMO

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Judging by the game threads, Sosa would fetch a hefty return in trade. Now all Mo needs is a club who prioritizes getting hit by pitches!

bccran
    Participant

Start Sosa at SS and Edman at 2B.
    DeJong has unfortunately played himself out of a starter’s position. Very disappointing. They were counting on him heavily.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Yeah, I’ll go along with bccran. I’m not overly hot on Sosa but Sosa-Edman seems a better combo. DeJong is suffering from plate paralysis.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Steve60:

Euro Danny just hit the nail on the head! The totally inept judgement of this front office on young talent has crippled this team for now and the future! There are players all over mlb they were once cards that would make us a ton better right now! I have no hope for the future with Mo running the show!

Sad but so true. Things are looking bleak right now and unless the team can right itself soon, there should be no doubt that changes will be made. Oh wait, Mozeliak has a big contract on the books. Just disregard the last sentence.

Viewing 18 posts - 26 through 43 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.