2021 Cardinals MLB Game 70 thread – Friday, June 18 at Braves

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 70 thread – Friday, June 18 at Braves

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

It’s starting to look more and more obvious that the contracts for Fowler, Carpenter, AND Martinez will come off the books at the end of this season.

r/Esteemed Rat

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Been hoping Martinez could find his niche. Sometimes hes very good but seems to be best at high voltage stuff. Maybe a one inning bull pen guy?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are good at padding stats in blow outs against chumps. Mo’s computer doesn’t know the difference.

Another bases loaded walk, that is 17 already. Maybe bring up the Japanese League guy that we had for a couple games 10 years ago. Maybe he can throw strikes. I noticed last inning a Braves lefty batter stroked one cleanly to left. That is the kind of left swinger you look for. Doesn’t matter if they hit moonshots to right. You can’t survive off that in MLB any more. They shift you or they pitch 100 away and you hit it off the end of the bat. Ask Carp. Ask Carlson even, he is finding out.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Knizner with a pad save and a beauty on Woodford’s bouncer.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

The shift has definitely hurt Carp. Seems to me our best offense has come lately from the recently arrived AAA guys. The big money guys seem somewhat dormant lately except Goldys stirring. I’m not expecting miracles this season but would like to see some young pitching come along. Last season was 2020. Worse year I can remember!

David
    Participant

Free

Schildt is not the right person to lead this team in the right direction. He’s the good job at least you tried leader. We need a leader to light a fire under their bottom. We are not the only team that has had to overcome injuries, batting slumps, bullpen trouble, miscues in the field, but we struggle to find what works because Schildt is we’ll get em next game but that’s not based on something he does different but more on hope. We actually have a good team…I strongly believe that but you wouldn’t know it. If you take any of the other division leading managers and put with our team, we have at least 5-7 more wins and Put Schildt with them… they’re not leading their respective divisions. I believe a team takes on the personality of its manager which explains are dull, lifeless approach to all games. Have you ever seen Schildt truly back his players during a game… mainly the pitchers esp on close calls. At most you see him in the dugout yell out… that was a strike.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We are making the Braves look good in front of their sold out crowd. That’s a 9-1 loser. Appropriate that we closed it out with a guy hitting .100, we’ve got nothing else.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Post game Carlos is saying his mechanics were all over the place. OK, he’s 29 and its his 10th or 11th pro year. His mechanics are not going to settle down at this point. I mean, why is a guy still here if his mechanics are not reliable? A pitcher whose mechanics are not consistent will never be consistent. It has always been true. Baseball guys know it has always been true. But we keep him and offload Lynn whose mechanics are a carbon copy every time. I am telling you, Carlos can light up the computer. Lynn puts the computer to sleep. Gomber is going to turn into another Lynn. His mechanics are consistent too. I noticed that watching him pitch in Peoria. That will be great for somebody else. BDW needs to drop the wonks over the side chained to their computers.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You never know which Carlos we will get. Unfortunately tonight was bad Carlos. And no doubt his contract will not be on the books next year along with Fowler, Carp, Miller, and Kim.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just start Woodford and send Cmart to mop-up bullpen duty.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Are we getting close to the point of getting rid of players like CMart? If he isn’t going to be reliable, why keep him? I’m at the point that I would rather see Oviedo or Woodford get his starts. Maybe someone will see him as a closer again and take a chance on him.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well I was over in Owensboro for Friday after five, apparently I didn’t miss much. I think Martinez as a starter has been a bust. I mean he’s had some great games but when he’s bad, he’s horrible. Of course we could only score one run so maybe it wouldn’t have mattered tonight. Best we can hope for is a split but lots of things are going to have to change for that to happen.

LACardFan
    Participant

Free

Are we getting close to the point of getting rid of players like CMart? If he isn’t going to be reliable, why keep him? I’m at the point that I would rather see Oviedo or Woodford get his starts.

It seems like it’s normally the end of June when they release players.

I thought June would be when they would wind up releasing Carpenter, but he’s been hitting better over the last few weeks, and we are so injury-ravaged.

It does make sense to move CMart into the bullpen. Bring him in during games we are already behind.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It does make sense to move CMart into the bullpen. Bring him in during games we are already behind.

A couple guys already have that job.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

If this is the kind of mumble-babble that is actually going through our manager’s head we are indeed in deep doo-doo:

“I think he just fell out of his rhythm of what he was doing,” said Shildt. “I think early on he felt like he had it and then I just felt like he lost his rhythm and feel for what he was doing. He wasn’t able to make adjustments quickly enough.”

I think the “box of chocolates” analogy is a more useful explanation.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

In hindsight, the excuses for CMart are used up. This mumble-bable is about all that is left.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I liked the part where he was praising Thomas’s catch against the wall in the bottom of the 8th trailing 9-1. Let’s focus attention on stuff that has no relevance to the outcome.

Our starting outfielders are solid enough defensively that we do not need a defensive replacement guy to protect a late lead. If you want to talk about Thomas, talk about how he is batting .100 and is therefore useless in the role as a bat off the bench that we do have a need for.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think Shildt is a good enough game manager but he is only as good as the roster is. And he is a complete company man all the way. He isn’t going to rock the boat or say anything negative about the players or the organization. It is probably what it would be like if Ricky Horton or Brad Thompson were managing the team. The front office likes that.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mo inherited LaRussa and has had newbie yes men, managers since.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That is true which really isn’t a compliment to the front office. This organization has had its most success when it had strong minded managers who weren’t afraid of going against the grain.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years