2021 Cardinals MLB Game 68 thread – Wednesday, June 16 vs. Marlins

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 68 thread – Wednesday, June 16 vs. Marlins

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:15 p.m.
    RHP Johan Oviedo (0-2, 5.72) vs. RHP Sandy Alcantara (4-5, 3.39)
    BSM // MLB Network // KMOX // WIJR

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cabrera, Gallegos and Reyes have pitched two days in a row. Tonight we need to build a big lead. Need some innings from Oviedo.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Something wrong with Arenado? He just had a day off a couple of weeks ago. This lineup is going to struggle to score runs against Alcantara. I’m calling this one 4-1 Miami with that lineup. Hope I’m wrong.

We do get a break today, however. The Cubs have lost the first two games against the Mets. And now they will face DeGrom in the Wednesday night game at Shea Stadium. Hopefully DeGrom lasts more than an inning or two.

Din-din today is the weekly trip to the Gasthof, the Amish restaurant. Fried chicken, mashed potatoes/gravy, green beans noodles, dressing, fish, cherry cobbler, ice cream, sweet tea – yum yum!

r/Esteemed Rat

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Oh Goody, Carp batting cleanup. That should help.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe we will see one of those goofy looking double play attempts from a shifted infield.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I wonder if Carpenter has the worst numbers all-time for a cleanup hitter in mid June? Obviously some guys in the dead ball era may have had anemic stats at this point in the season and hit fourth.

But in the last 50 years or so, he has to be down there near the bottom.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sosa making things happen with his speed, but having DeJong hit behind you is not good for building momentum.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

C’mon now Bike-M, be fair. He’s inching his way up to .180.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo looks good thru three. Need him to start extending his starts. Would love to see him go six innings today.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I always pronounced Alcantara’s name “Al-Can-Tar-A”. But McLaughlin says “Al-Con-Tra”.

Anyway, nice first time through for Oviedo. When he has command his stuff is good enough to play at this level.

Really reminds me of a latter day Mike Torrez.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Carpenter with a typical AB, he is going to either strikeout or ground out to the right side. Fortunately he did the ground out this time and moved O’Neill to third with one out.

Oh man, Sosa hits into a DP. Cards come up empty.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Got my wish! Oviedo thru six innings. Can he go thru seven? Common Redbirds, get those bats going!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You can tell this is a get away game. Very quick.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Great outing by Oviedo! Seven scoreless innings. He successfully worked through adversity. A lot of first pitch strikes! Congrats young man!

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sosa HBP! Initial reaction is that does not look good!

Wow, he stays in the game. Would not have thought that would happen.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards need to get something going here!

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards win! Yadi drives in the winning run in the bottom of the ninth. That’s three straight!

You guys keep it going! I am heading to Tennesse to watch some games in the Appy League this weekend.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

HR

MLB.com jerks

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Oviedo pitched better than his ERA. Won some games now that we’re getting good pitching. No bungling defense today either. We can win if our pitching can keep the runs down!

David
    Participant

Free

We swept the Marlins scoring a total of 7 runs. You’ll pardon me if I don’t get overly excited. I still think we need a new hitting coach and I’m sorry…. I know I’m in the minority here but Schildt is not the one to lead this team to a 12 title. His use of the starting pitching staff is questionable at best along with his confidence in them even when they’re doing well. At 87 pitches, Oviedo who was in control and in command of his pitches was taken out of the game in hopes that we could produce a 2 out hit from a 111 hitter. How can that be justified? I know that’s not because they want to save Oviedos and he only lasted 7 because his spot didn’t come up in the 6th. If you’re a starting Cardinal pitcher and under the age of 35, you will not pitch past the 7th inning if your spot in the order is up or you give up a hit after 5 . We need a new hitting coach and new Manager or this will be the Cardinals future…, Winning series against Young and inexperienced teams and being overmatched or out managed, in some cases both with the rest of the league.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Sheesh, 1968 revisited in this series. Always good to get a win in those close, low-scoring contests.

O’Neill had a pitch to drive in that last AB, up in the zone. When Alcantara threw it I said out loud “right there!”, thinking Ty would jump on it. But he let it go for the backwards K.

Yadi got the same pitch and ended the game.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

At this point all I can says is…….”C’MON DeGROM AND THE METS!!!”

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If the manager lets Oviedo stay in long enough to lose, he’s “questionable” for that too.

Turns out Shildt played it right, because Oviedo didn’t get lit up and take another loss, and the team got a Win.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years