2021 Cardinals MLB Game 64 thread – Saturday, June 12 at Cubs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 64 thread – Saturday, June 12 at Cubs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:15 p.m.
    RHP John Gant (4-3, 2.63) vs. Kyle Hendricks (7-4, 4.59)
    FOX Network // KMOX

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Even if we get good Gant he is not likely to go deep into it. More pen induced trauma ahead I think. There really is nothing to do but wait and see how the worm turns.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

May as well face the inevitable folks. There’s a sweep coming this weekend at the hand of the Cubs. We will be in 4th place by COB on Sunday night.

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And Max Scherzer left after 1/3 of an inning tonight in DC against the Giants. Wonder what’s up with him?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

And the Cubs might have just got another break tonight in New York. They play the Mets at Shea Stadium next week in a four game series. DeGrom was slated to go on Wednesday but he had to leave the game tonight against San Diego after just 80 pitches. Right flexor tendonitis.

Unfortunately things seem to be falling in place for the Cubs. Plus Milwaukee and Pittsburgh are 2-2 in the last of the 6th at County Stadium.

r/Esteemed Rat

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rats buddy, just heard it was a leg issue that caused Sherzer to leave the game.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I flipped a coin and it predicted that the Cards win today.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Milwaukee won again last night with some late runs. 7-4 over Pittsburgh. Cards now four games behind the Brewers and Cubs. We could be six games out by Monday morning. And in 4th place since the Reds might just move past us as well.

I am off to the Indiana boys semi-state games today down in Jasper. Another local team, the Southridge Raiders, play at 1:00 at Alvin C. Ruxer Field in Jasper. They play Indianapolis Brebeuf and after that game the Jasper Wildcats play Mt. Vernon. On the line is a trip to the state finals next week at Victory Field in Indianapolis. It’s going to be hot, low 90s are predicted. I probably will get there about 2:30 in time to catch the last 2-3 innings of the Southridge/Brebeuf game.

Din-din today before I leave are a couple of small center cut rib chops in the air fryer, some Bush’s baked beans with onion, water, and a bowl of homemade ice cream.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

With our pitching decimated by injuries – Flaherty, Kim, Mikolas, Hudson, Hicks, there is just no way to be optimistic about our club right now.

Can we somehow hang close enough and get some hurlers back in time to have a hot August and September? You would not get good odds on that, although it could happen.

Best we can do is watch how the next couple months go and hope that O’Neill and Carlson keep getting more consistent success. I also want to see Sosa back in there most everyday at short. I think he is probably better than DeJong right now, and will be a real good player as he continues to get reps.

Another guy who has missed significant time is Bader. With him in center our outfield is pretty good, and it gets Edman back to second base which further stabilizes the infield.

A quick look to know that you are going to struggle is that if you have to play Matt Carpenter. With him and DeJong in there you have .180 hitters occupying 25% of your position player lineup. Weak pitching and a drag on your offense like that is tough to overcome.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Southridge and Jasper both get drilled today, Rat. Raiders get it handed to them 10-4 and the Wildcats get ramrodded to the tune of 7-2.

Din-din for me today will be bluegill & perch, fried potatoes, Kentucky Cole slaw, 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies and a tall glass or two of whole milk.

Love St. Louis today. It’s a game where a few of our hitters get off the proverbial schneid. I’m calling it 8-4 Good Guys.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Really like your analysis Bike Mike. You’re likin that ice cream alot Rats!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Too bad its not a day game.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am not optimistic about this game at all. While Gant usually is good for a solid 5 innings Cy Hendricks is the Cardinals kryptonite. He will probably go 7 or 8 innings while giving up 2 runs or less.

This is not a fun time to be a Cardinal fan. While we are waiting for our injured guys to get healthy we are falling further behind in the standings. The trade deadline is still six weeks away. We may be too far out by then for Mo to be motivated to make any moves. If we do make moves I would try to acquire 3 pitchers, either two starters and a reliever or vice versa.

Or we may just punt and regroup for 2022.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

If he continues to struggle would we consider trading Goldschmidt at the trade deadline? Assuming we get an offer we really couldnt refuse.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) RF
    2. Dylan Carlson (S) CF
    3. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    6. Yadier Molina (R) C
    7. Matt Carpenter (L) 2B
    8. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    9. John Gant (R) P

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If he continues to struggle would we consider trading Goldschmidt at the trade deadline? Assuming we get an offer we really couldnt refuse.

Factoring in what he is owed there is probably negative trade value. A wonk who knows what a WAR is worth these days could figure out negative by how much.

BrockLou
    Participant

Free

By just about any metric, Goldschmidt’s best season was 2015. His decline since then has been pretty steady. One could argue that he might plateau at the present level for a season or two. You could just as easily argue that his decline will continue, at a fast or slow pace.
    I don’t see much risk in trading him for pitching. There’s bound to be a GM that is desperate for offense that thinks Goldy has another year or two in the tank, if only he had the right batting coach, HIS batting coach, lol.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Shildt again going with a bad lineup. You have nothing after the six spot. That is just too big a handicap on offense.

I do not like Edman at all as an outfielder, but understand the dilemma. I would like him at second, Sosa at short, and then you throw a tomato can in right.

That upgrades the defense and gives you 7 guys who can do something on offense, rather than six.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If Godly were traded you could double or triple the chances of Arenado opting out, imo.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

PugsleyAddams wrote…

Southridge and Jasper both get drilled today, Rat. Raiders get it handed to them 10-4 and the Wildcats get ramrodded to the tune of 7-2.

Sorry Pugs. Southridge won over Indianapolis Brebeuf by the score of 4-2. Colson Montgomery, the IU recruit, supposedly hit one over the rightcenterfield fence that is still going. And Jasper absolutely pounded Mt. Vernon of Fortville, NE side of Indy. It was 17-2 in the 4th inning. Both teams advance to the State Finals a week from Monday and Tuesday at Victory Field in Indianapolis.

I’ll be watching Charles Stanley tonight about 7:00 and then decide if I want to tune in to the 2nd straight St. Louis loss at Wrigley or instead finish my laundry, jump in the shower, and then get ready for Mannix.

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

jj-cf-stl wrote…..

If Goldy were traded you could double or triple the chances of Arenado opting out, imo.

I would just about agree with this. Hopefully Goldschmidt can turn it around and end up about .280/25/80 on the season.

r/Esteemed Rat

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mike, I think Shildt is desperate enough for wins that he’s playing who is hot, when it comes to Sosa and Carp.

Sosa is sporting a June ops of .577 (34 Pa’s) and Carp a June .842 ops in 27 PA’s.

When you’re 2-8 your last 10, someone, anyone pull a rabbit out of their hat!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

My wife is out of town so I ordered in a pizza. I didn’t think about how to get rid of the box, so that’s a dilemma.

Bikemike my calculation shows Carp and DeJong combined out hit Sosa and the tomato can by a few points, but I like your thinking.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Whoever dreamed up playing Saturday baseball at night? Think I’ll just save myself the heartburn and read about it over Sunday morning tea and croissants.

Din-din, for what it’s worth, was mushrooms, green peppers, bacon bits and Boursin cheese baked in a puff pastry, along with a crunchy green salad.

Rah Cardinals!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years