2021 Cardinals MLB Game 31 thread – Wed, May 5 vs Mets Game 2

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 31 thread – Wed, May 5 vs Mets Game 2

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Nido having a pretty neat-o game for those guys.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo now has a higher career HR/9 than Ponce. Not a selling point for making the rotation.

1982 willie
    Participant

That was horrible by oneil, you have to automatically tag up there

1982 willie
    Participant

I’m not big on oviedo. I mean he has potential but I don’t see near top of the rotation guy. But I guess you never know

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

That was horrible by oneil, you have to automatically tag up there

Watching on TV I thought that was a hit, and maybe O’Neill did as well. But yeah, you tag right away in case it is caught, as you can always score on a hit.

1982 willie
    Participant

Oh I can understand the auto response is to go but a player has to just never assume anything. Great hit by carlson to make it mute.

1982 willie
    Participant

One big blast away from tie game.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo now has a higher career HR/9 than Ponce. Not a selling point for making the rotation.

It’s a little less of a red flag when you’re talking about a 22/23 year old with less than 40 career innings who probably would have been in Memphis for 2/3rds or those than it is for Ponce, with 3 times the work load in various roles and at a much riper age.

Flaherty gave up a lot of homers initially. So did Hudson when he moved to starting. I think it’s more important right now to look at the quality of the stuff and whether he can control it. Oviedo looks like he can, and then he can work on honing the command to keep more of those pitches in the park. Ponce just can’t seem to pitch in the zone and when he nibbles, the walks go sky high.

To add to my post, I think Ponce can be an effective bullpen arm in the Gant mold. I just don’t think he can do more than spot start for you in an emergency.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You’re probably correct that Oviedo needs more seasoning in the minors.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If it weren’t for all the Mikolas, Hudson, KK, Ponce injuries it’s likely Oviedo would be honing his command as a minor leaguer. Trading Gomber also hurt the SP depth. Oviedo seems like the next man up, out of need.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well, game 2 was a clunker. The Cards had their chances with 11 base hits in 7 innings, but manages to strand just about as many as possible. They still have a shot to take 3 of 4 with a good game on today, so let’s hope the clutch hitting is better.

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The streak of 6 wins in a row has ended with this loss, but they’re playing their best ball of the season. Time to start a new win streak!

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 25 years