2021 Cardinals MLB Game 23 thread – Tuesday, April 27 vs Phillies

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 23 thread – Tuesday, April 27 vs Phillies

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m.
    RHP Zach Eflin (1-0, 2.77) vs RHP Carlos Martinez (0-4, 6.00)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSW+ in Eastern Arkansas

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlos has had some struggles this year, but has pitched well at times too. We need him to continue the string of good starts. I predict he finally gets some luck and gets his first win of the year. Cards win it 4-2.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

OPS+ update after 22 games:

Edman 100
    Carlson 158
    Goldy 72
    Arenado 106
    Yadi 177
    Dejong 96
    O’Neill 71
    Williams 69

Carp 10
    Knizner 102
    Dean 109
    Sosa 88

Team 92

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ERA+ update:

Jack 118
    Waino 92
    Carlos 63
    Gant 168
    KK 93

Reyes Infinity
    Gallegos 131
    Helsley 78
    Cabrera 147
    Webb 46
    Hicks 72
    Ponce 40
    Miller 53

Team 92

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Reds managed to halt their seven game losing streak with a win at Dodger Stadium last night. 5-3 Reds in ten innings. Winker a leadoff two run homer in the 10th to win it for Cincinnati.

I was hoping for a Dodger sweep that would extend the losing streak to ten games but no such luck. That would have really put the Reds in a bad way. Hoffman goes for the Reds tonight and Buehler is on the hill for Los Angeles.

r/Esteemed Rat

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I almost forgot. Din-din today was my weekly trip to the Amish restaurant, the Gasthof. Fried chicken, fish, mashed potatoes/gravy, noodles, green beans, dressing, cherry cobbler, some chocolate ice cream, and sweet tea. Yum yum!

Looking forward to seeing the lineup tonight. I’ll be at the Evansville Mater Dei at Jasper baseball game. It starts at 6:30 est and I am hoping to get home in time to watch at least half of this one. Then later tonight tune in to the Reds & Dodgers from LA.

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Winker a leadoff two run homer in the 10th to win it for Cincinnati.

That would be a first in the history of organized baseball, Rat. Rat? You seem more interested in that Dodger-Red series than our 3 game grudge match vs the Philadelphians.

I absolutely love Evansville Mater Dei in their game at Jasper today. I’m calling it 8-3 Mater Dei.

Your Galloping Gasthof din-din was fit for a hungry king, Rat. I’m not faring as well this evening, as once again I came up empty fishing the Wisconsin River. I had two lunkers on the line today, but both escaped with their lives. The guy I fished with took home 6 nice walleye. This is my yearly fishing week. So far it’s been a bust, but that changes on Thursday, as I’ve hired one of this area’s premier fishing guides. But who knows? Maybe good ol’ Pugs will end up schooling him. Din-din for me on this fine Tuesday evening will consist of sloppy joes, onion rich potato salad, deviled eggs, 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies, and I’ll wash all that down with some A&W root beer.

I’m calling tonight’s game 7-3 Birds with Arenado not reaching the cheap seats once…..but twice.

Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B

2. Dylan Carlson (S) CF

3. P. Goldschmidt (R) 1B

4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B

5. Paul DeJong (R) SS

6. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF

7. J. Williams (L) RF

8. Andrew Knizner (R) C

9. C. Martinez (R) P

kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

See the ball. Hit the ball.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

a leadoff two run homer in the 10th to win it for Cincinnati.

I am with Pugs on this one. Aren’t “lead off” and “two run homer” mutually exclusive?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

See the ball. Hit the ball.

Or as who was it, former Cardinal coach Joe Schultz maybe, who said according to Jim Bouton in “Ball Four”:

“It’s a round bat and round ball, now hit it square.”

Participant

Paid - Annual

I like that KsCardFan. If I’m Shildt, after last night’s anemic offensive effort, that’s all I say to them in my pregame pep talk. I huddle them all in one big attentive completely quiet circle. Then I saunter on in without saying a word and walk up to Goldy first and just stare him in the eyes for 5 seconds. Then I do the same to Carlson, Arenado, Williams, Knizner, O’Neill and DeJong. Then lastly I stand but 5 inches from Carp and stare at him for a good 20 seconds and then utter KsCardFan’s words of “see the ball…..hit the ball”. Then out to the field of play you go.

kscardfankscardfan
    Participant

Free

A time to simplify the approach. Thinking too much perhaps.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

And just for Pugs and Rats, and CIF if he checks in, we are putting together a taco bar tonight for din-din.

On another note, the OPS+ from our 3rd place hitter looks real sad. Adolis Garcia is at 156 and Randy Arozarena at 137.

Then there is all-world Carson Kelly at 229. Kolten Wong is at 164, but has missed a few games.

But we can take solace in Marcel Ozuna, with a batting average of .185, 1 homer and an OPS+ of 45. He is really struggling out of the gate after a terrific short season last year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Taco bars totally rock! Have you been to that Denver fish restaurant since we last went, BicycleMike?

Participant

Free

Actually, this year you can have a leadoff 2 run homer in extra innings. The tenth starts with a runner on second base.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Have you been to that Denver fish restaurant since we last went, BicycleMike?

Indeed I have, Pugs. Several times, but not recently with the virus and all. As you probably remember they do not have a lot of room to do “social distancing”. But things are opening up again, so we will no doubt hit it again in the next month or so.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh wow, you’re right, Forschster. That has to be the lamest rule addition ever initiated. My apologies to the esteemed RatsBuddy.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Good point Forschie. I was thinking that runner-on-second was a one-and-done rule. But they are playing 7 inning double-headers this year as well. Weird that the NL DH was not continued, but next year I think it will be here to stay.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Heading to the bottom of the 3rd with the Cards presently tripling up the Phils on the scoreboard 3-1. Arenado with the 1st inning rbi double and Edman with the 2nd inning 2 run double. Anyone game for a 3rd inning 3 run double?

Participant

Paid - Annual

Arenado with the lone Cardinal baserunner in the 3rd…..a long double to left. 3-1 Good Guys heading to the 4th.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Just tuning in here. Looks like we’ve mostly gotten the good Carlos tonight as he’s through 5 innings on a mere 58 pitches. I don’t know when, but the two errors probably didn’t help him. 3-2 Cards at the midway point.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs? Sorry to disappoint you but the Wildcats of Jasper High School downed the Wildcats of Evansville Mater Dei High School by the score of 3-0.

And yep, you guys finally got it, about the leadoff two run homer.

Just got home, took Whitey Herdog outside for a few minutes. Time now to hit the showers, let my aching right shoulder/tendonitis soak in the hot water, then grab a hamburger (plain, with mustard), a Mt. Dew, some leftover homemade ice cream, and tune in to the rest of the Phils/Cards game. Then switch over to the Reds/Dodgers game. A couple of big cigars will be on the agenda for the rest of the evening.

I see Arenado has two doubles in two trips, correct?

r/Esteemed Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

An excellent defensive play to finish the top of the 6th by Goldy to rob Realmuto. Carlos put a 95.2 mph heater past Harper to K him the previous plate appearance. Nice work for him tonight.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Gotta bring CMart out for the 8th. Maybe we get two straight complete games!

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years