2021 Cardinals MLB Game 148 thread – Sunday, September 19 vs. Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 148 thread – Sunday, September 19 vs. Padres

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Teams that are top 5 in payroll can afford to have 4 or 5 contracts with $20M AAV’s but the Cardinals can’t, or at least choose not to. We are usually in the 7-13 range in payroll and usually have 2 or 3 contracts with $20M AAV’s. We already have Goldy and Arenado in that category with Mikolas close behind. I just think putting all of your eggs in one basket is risky. You have to pay for 26 players.

We also don’t know what the Cardinal budget will be in 2022. Are they going to go back to pre-pandemic levels which was close to $170M or are they going to stay closer to $150M? That makes a big difference.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Absolutely agree. The idea that StL will pay another IF big, big money just isn’t realistic to me. Nor do I want them to.

But a starter is necessary.

And as far as the DH goes, is it possible they hold on to DeJong, bring up Gorman and let it ride with those 2? Lot of strikeouts but potentially a LOT of power too.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s why I’d be fine with paying Conforto. He goes to RF, Carlson to LF, O’Neill to CF. Would he be a “big” contract? Sure. But he has 5 WAR upside that someone like Brantley doesn’t. Again, the potential for an MVP type season from one of the big SS is why they get the money. Small fish moves keep you looking up at the Brewers.

A lineup with Carlson, Goldy, Arenado, O’Neill, Gorman/Edman platoon, Dejong/Sosa platoon, Yadi, Bader still needs another bat, especially a lefty one. That will have to come either at SS or OF cause all the other spots look pretty set.

The rotation could be pretty good next year and I think a front line guy would be best. I liked Robbie Ray every year and he might be too expensive now. Marcus Stroman would be in love with our defense. Both those guys would be big deals, though. But by 2024 Mikolas and Goldy come off the books and you’ve just got Arenado and maybe O’Neill or Flaherty (if you can convince him) to pay. That’s manageable.

The big issue lately has been that the farm hasn’t produced much in the way of impact bats in St Louis since Matt Carpenter. There have been one year flourishes and guys who’ve done well once they left here but nothing that’s stuck. We need O’Neill, Carlson, or Gorman…really, all three…to be lineup staples who can put up 120 OPS+ or better because that really frees the FO to move toward shoring up the staff or lineup with the fill in, $5-10M Joc Pederson/Eduardo Escobar types who are paid like 1 WAR guys and can turn into 2 in the right year and situation. That’s where the Cards used to make hay when they had guys like Carp, Holliday and Beltran already anchoring the lineup.

jim
    Participant

Free

How did the Phillies end up with so few division games down the stretch? Last 6 with Atlanta and Marlins but only 9 of their last 23 in the division, while we play 14 straigh division games to end the season?

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Not sure I want to get into a bidding war for a popular NY player and I’m not sure he’s the type of player you want if you’re leaning into being a “run prevention” type of lineup and organizational philosophy.

Again, that’s why I think the DH is so huge for the Cardinals next year. You keep the same defense but add a free bat to a lineup that’s offensively deficient. I think it might make more sense to add a pure DH type of hitter to the roster defense be damned. And above average FA DH’s are relatively cheap. Mo would still have all kinds of money to go out and get a starter, a little bullpen help and keep powder dry for a trade deadline deal or two.

A big money everyday player is pretty low on the list of wants next year for me.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

25, a minor correction, Mikolas is off the books after 2023. DeJong could be off the books after 2023. Goldschmidt could be off after 2024. Also, Wainwright and Yadi could potentially be off after 2022.

Due to the salary structure we currently have, I would like to see Scherzer be the priority. He should be able to be signed to a 3 year contract. Liberatore can take Waino’s spot after 2022. Reyes and Flaherty could be free agents after 2023. Hudson could be a free agent after 2024. We should have enough young arms to keep a strong staff for years to come.

Viewing 6 posts - 51 through 56 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years