2021 Cardinals MLB Game 148 thread – Sunday, September 19 vs. Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 148 thread – Sunday, September 19 vs. Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • Author
    Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

LEGOS = MVP today???????

Wait…. Carlson’s 1st inning catch was pretty nice!!!!

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹 🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹🧹

In this league you have to have the horses to compete at a high level of play. The Pads are the Pads and will always be the Pads. On to Milwaukee boys!

Congrats to Cabby today on another stellar outing and to Tommy E. for his league leading 41st 2-bagger.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Had to go out,missed the last couple innings. Got a little tight but we hung on. Thing to keep in mind going forward. We are doing better overall at hitting but just when you think it’s going good, pitching kind of goes astray. Happ is a veteran, he needs to do better than the effort he gave which extended our bullpen. Still a win is a win. We need to at least split this series with the brewers and then hopefully kick the cubs to the curb

bccran
    Participant

Getting exciting. We sure have picked the right time to come alive offensively.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I knew we had it in the bag all along.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

No lead is safe.

8 in a row – 3 game bulge for WC2.

I can’t explain the late season surge but neither can Schildt, lol.

I’m convinced he’s sold his soul to the devil for this…..

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Really close game. 1 run and 1 hit difference. Bullpen a bit shaky but they came through again. Go Cardinals!

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

Whatever happened to turn this season upside down I don’t care. I don’t want to jinx anything. Just win baby.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

“Just win baby”. I like that TC…. that’s “Texas Card” to the layman. Maybe that should be our battle cry moving forward……all the way until the end of October, baby!

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Wish list for next year:

A zone pounding number 2/3 starter and a lefty for the pen. The lineup is set. Don’t throw money just to throw money.

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

PugsleyAddams sounds like a plan!

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Let’s go. This franchise is ready to take off. The pieces are in place. A little pitching help and this is a 92-95 win team next year. Minimum.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

We were a .500 team spinning our wheels until less than two weeks ago, so lets not mistake a team on a hot streak for something else. Lets hope we stay hot for a few weeks, run the table this month and do some damage in October.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Need an OF, a Lefty for the pen, a SS, A SP, a Closer, a new Manager, new Hitting Coach, a new Pitching Coach and a new GM. But yes, otherwise they are set.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Happy we got back a sweep we got from them earlier. Clearly the Padres are reeling at the right time for us.

11 games in 11 days. So this is a long stretch of ball. I’d like 5-3 upcoming but 4-4 and I’ll take it. 5-3 would be fab for us.

Just keep winning. If we do that things will take of themselves.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Happ will get a start for sure against Chicago but we’ll likely have a starter we don’t usually use over the weekend.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

boo, there is speculation in the P-D that Flaherty might be that starter. The same writer didn’t think it would be Hudson just yet.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It sounded like they were gonna check Hudson out in a bullpen and see how he did. He threw 68 pitches his last outing so I’d think he could go multiple innings if he had no issues. Flaherty seems like he’s more likely to be on a lower pitch count. Maybe they’ll piggyback those two or with Kim. Hard to say, but Flaherty and Hudson sounds a lot better than Miller and Miller.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

“Just win baby!” is what Al Davis used to tell his Oakland Raider teams in the 80’s – it worked pretty well for them.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

KS,

Why so negative? We both know they aren’t spending on an OF and most likely not on a SS either. The front office is going to continue to lean hard into a run prevention roster/philosophy this offseason as they should. This is the best defensive lineup is baseball currently and it’s not even close. That’s why the addition of the DH to the NL is so huge for StL this offseason. They can continue with this lineup and they get a free bat courtesy of MLB.

They can go get a veteran starter on a “no get hurt” type of contract, add a lefty for the pen and then see how the season shakes out next year. If you think they’re going to be huge spenders in the offseason just because they have the cash to do so, I think you’re going to be disappointed.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m generally fairly positive on the Cards in the next couple of years, but a couple of low hanging fruit type signings are not going to put this team over the top in 2022. If they’re not adding at least a front line starter (Scherzer, Ray, Stroman type) or an impact bat (Seager, Story, Conforto type) they are not going to be favorites over a Milwaukee team that looks a lot like the 2013-15 era Cardinals (stacked staff, shutdown pen, middling offense with maybe one potential stud amidst a bunch of solid average type bats, good defense).

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

Absolutely I agree with that. I think they need to spend real money on a starter for sure. And I would not be opposed to actually overspending on a shorter deal similar to the deal with Beltran years ago but a real deal starter is imperative this offseason.

We’re all hopeful that Waino continues at this level, Hudson returns to form, Reyes transitions seamlessly into a starter, Mikolas stays healthy and that one of Woodford/Thompson/Libby can become a solid starter but each guy mentioned has enormous question marks. That’s why a 2/3 starter is a must.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I tend to think they will go with a few moderate upgrades this winter instead of the big splash and I don’t have a problem with that considering they already have big contracts on the books. By the way, going moderate doesn’t have to be bad as long as you know who to choose. I know the deals for Fowler, Carp, Holland, Cecil, Miller, and Mikolas were bad but there are good players out there who don’t require a 7 year $250M contract. We just need to choose wisely. For example, a guy like Michael Brantley is on a 2 year $32M deal and he is one of the best pure hitters in all of MLB. That is the kind of player we need to find.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Two Brantleys, if everything works out, yields you 5 WAR. You’re also replacing two players who would have accrued value. More likely your net gain is about 3 WAR for $32M a year. One big name probably costs $25-30M a year, replaces one player and has a potential next WAR gain of 5-6. I dunno, I feel like unless you are completely perfect with the FA pickups you end up losing out. We got spoiled because the Cards hit on a number of pickups in the early 2010s and have gone ice cold on it since then.

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

I absolutely agree with that gscott. I would pay a little for a pure hitter with little worry about his fielding. He’s got two jobs: Hit strikes hard and don’t swing at balls. That’s it. The DH is an enormous gift to this team for next year. And I also agree with not tying up 200-250 mil for a single guy.

A strike throwing starter who’s got some swing and miss, doesn’t have to be elite and a professional hitter to be the DH and hit 5th or 6th.

Let’s go.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 56 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.