2021 Cardinals MLB Game 147 thread – Saturday, September 18 vs. Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 147 thread – Saturday, September 18 vs. Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:15 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (16-7, 2.88) vs. Yu Darvish
    BSM //KMOX//WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Tonight could be a low scoring match. Darvish doesn’t have a great W-L record and his ERA is a bit high, but his WHIP is low as it always is. He strikes out a lot of guys and doesn’t walk many.

It would be generous to say that we specialize in taking advantage of the opportunities we get, but that is what it will take against Darvish. Still, Wainwright going means bad news for the bad guys.

The food truck park had me on the bench last night, but nice job by Mikolos and the boys of summer.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

It is hard to believe what I’m seeing with the Cardinals.

It’s chewing gum and bandaids – smoke and mirrors – whatever analogy you want to use…..

More Sosa and less DeJong has taken a sucking hole out the line up.

Only seeing Carpenter for the occasional PH appearance instead of in the line up twice a week has also helped.

The AARP pitching staff has performed way beyond my expectations.

It just doesn’t seem real or possible and yet – here we are lol.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well a lot of it has to do with our pitching and defense. I read an article where almost every starter had high grades far as run saved per their position..since we have gotten Lester and happe, we aren’t walking near as many. We’ve still had some late inning issues but overall this team in the normal cardinal way have performed. If our offense can stay consistent, I think we will be fine. Funny thing arenado isn’t even one of the higher ones on the team far as defense.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hopefully the Cardinals were just less prepared to come out of the 2020 upset than some other organizations and are now pulling out of the funk. That versus we are just another .500 team spinning our wheels.

The pitching staff has defiantly reduced the walks and HBP. I would think the offense is bringing up the rear in many categories less than they were all season, but I haven’t checked the stats on that.

We still have an obvious depth issue, and player evaluation and development are concerns. But early on Mo said something about having gone off track there. So maybe the troubles we have had, and the seeming unpreparedness to emerge from 2020 were in part due to a reboot within the system that the public has not seen happening.

That’s my glass 3/4 full take anyway, because I am that kind of guy. Lets stomp these guys into padre paste tonight.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

40 doubles. When you think of prolific doubles hitters, who comes to mind? Henry Aaron, Stan Musial, George Brett, Albert Pujols…..yes that’s exactly right. Now let the following sink in a bit…..little Tommy Edman has 40 of them this year and he is capable of doing better. His 40 2-baggers leads the NL, 5 more than Nick Castellanos.

And how about Genesis (properly pronounced “Hen-asis”) “Cabby” Cabrera? Other than a few outings, Cabby has been absolutely money for the Cardinals this year. How you handle Cabby is that when he allows a walk or a hit, you HAVE to immediately yank him out of the game….. because more are coming. It’s that simple. 80% of the time he’s going to be flawless, allowing no base runners. But if someone gets on base vs him, watch out.

“Whirling” Darvish should be one tough hombre tonight. An absolutely impossible game to predict……so I won’t try. It’s a game where only a sucker would wager on it. Din-din tonight will be spaghetti and meatballs, garlic bread, salad with equal amounts of lettuce, cheese and onions, with 1000 Island dressing and Mt. Dew. I’m going to spice up dessert tonight…..not that it needs it. 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies, but this time covered individually with a scoop of Breyer’s chocolate ice cream, Breyer’s strawberry ice cream and Breyer’s butter pecan ice cream respectively.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B <– In more ways than one as Pugs mentioned
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    7. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Adam Wainwright (R) P

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Doyers and Scherzer down the Reds today 5-1 at Crosley Field. Chance to pick up a game on the Reds tonight.

r/Esteemed Rat

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Need to get something going against Darvish. How hard could it be?

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

Maybe Dan and Horton need to shut up when it comes to getting out of the inning.

It always goes the other way…. Padres would only be ahead by one run…. if they
    would have kept their comments to themselves!!!!!!!!!!!!!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

lol ok!!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m watching football so I can’t see but was that called strike 3 against O’Neill as bad as it looked on GameDay? Looks 4″ out of the zone.

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

I’m watching football so I can’t see but was that called strike 3 against O’Neill as bad as it looked on GameDay? Looks 4″ out of the zone.

Yep!!!! At least 3″ for sure.

Tscurlo
    Participant

Free

Where’s the call UMP?????? That was a strike on Tyler!!!!!!!

Hammerfist
    Participant

Free

My goodness at this strike zone. Adam needs to start nibbling his ass off.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

was that called strike 3 against O’Neill as bad as it looked on GameDay?

It was bad. O’Neill has gotten two bad calls on balls clearly outside. Darvish is getting a huge outside zone against righties as you can see from the graphic below. It appeared to go over the inside line for the batter’s box for lefties. I would say more than 4 inches. Bader got rung up on one almost as bad (it’s the ball that overlaps O’Neill’s called strike in the graphic). Cuzzi is not getting a good grade tonight.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well our big guys didn’t get it done again. Two on and nobody out. Some horrible strike calls but goldy had already seen what he was calling to be pitch before, so he needed to protect.Same with oneil. It’s horrible umpiring but players have to adjust at least with two strikes.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Phil Cuzzi is really making the case for robot umps. This is absolutely pathetic. Its so bad even the Padres broadcast team is appalled.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlson looked like Ankiel with that throw to 2nd.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Not to be missed here is quite possibly Carp’s last hit as a Cardinal. His struggles have been tough to watch. He has provided us with some great moments.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Looks like the umps got his whole strike zone 4″ toward 1st base. Needs new glasses I guess?

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its unusual to see Waino get outpitched. The O needs to pick him up.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Looks like they wasted the Carp pinch hit a little early. But Nootbar has a shot to make the Pads pay.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill!! 3-2 Cards

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Big shot by oneil, we didn’t waste that opportunity. Nice to see oneil get some revenge.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years