2021 Cardinals MLB Game 146 thread – Friday, September 17 vs. Padres

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 146 thread – Friday, September 17 vs. Padres

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m.
    RHP Miles Mikolas (0-2, 5.47) vs. Vince Velasquez
    BSM //KMOX//WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This will be game 146. We need Mikolas to get his act together. No more 5 IP, 4 ER.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Cards have only this series and then finish off with the final 13 against Milwaukee and Chicago. Two teams kinda going in the opposite direction there, so it sort of balances out some tough games with winnable ones against a tanking team.

That leaves this series as a sort of pivot point. If San Diego keeps their rotation order, we should be facing Paddack, Lamet and Darvish, their three best pitchers. So that will be a challenge. Still, the goal is clear…win this series and you’re in pretty good shape for that final wild card slot. Like blingboy says, hopefully Mikolas is up to the task for game 1. This series is gonna feel like a playoff series.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I only wish Bling had carried on longer. If he had, I think we’d be looking at one of the great sports inspirational/kick in the butt speeches of our time.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

For the Padres, Cards, and Reds the ‘playoffs’ started about 2 weeks ago.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Huge series. You win 2 of these and the confidence really takes hold. You get that “Why not us?” kind of feeling.

Lose two or three and you start to think “Well, we gave it a nice run.” Not totally, but it puts some doubt in your mind that you can really do this.

At this point I do not have much confidence in Mikolas. Hate to start the series down one, but would put the odds about 55/45 on that happening. Man I was Jack were healthy.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

Won’t be Paddack starting, he went on the IL on Sept. 13.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

The Giants announcers said last night that Velasquez will start for the Padres on Friday night. He was recently released by the Phillies and the Padres picked him up.

r/Esteemed Rat

14NyquisT
    Participant

Starters for SD = Fri unannounced – Sat Darvish – Sun Arrieta…… ESPN

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Reds have a 1-0 lead on the Pirates at Forbes Field in the 7th inning. This is the Thursday afternoon game, of course. Sounds like the Pirates have them right where they want them..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Reds win 1-0.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Padres have a 4-0 lead on the Giants in the 5th at the Polo Grounds. This could be two wins in a row for San Diego. We dont want them getting hot as they come to Busch.

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Padres hang on to down the Giants 7-4 at Candlestick. Not good news, that being the Giants lost the last two games to the Padres. We need to stay on a roll.

r/Esteemed Rat

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Padres hang on to down the Giants 7-4 at Candlestick. Not good news, that being the Giants lost the last two games to the Padres.

Rat, maybe it’s good in that it could help LA win their division, and the Cards keep winning to get WC2 spot anyway. Cards won the season series against SF, but not against LA. Also, I believe LA has more starting pitching options that could stop the Cards in a one-game wild card matchup.

Plus, I’d love to see the Cards play another game in Candlestick.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Using run differential as the basis, the Padres are a better team than us. Thus if we factor out the fluky things, San Diego takes two or three in this series and likely gets the second wild card.

But you never know. Maybe we become the best team over these final two weeks. As some have said here, you gotta play the games. After all based solely on numbers, the Yankees swept the 1960 World Series.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Using run differential as the basis, the Padres are a better team than us.

True, they are +54 and we are -5. But the Dodgers are +244 and we just split 4 games with them.

you gotta play the games

Real games played by humans, not simulated games played by bags of stats.

We can take this series, and we can take WC2, and then on to make left coast losers out of them all. Let the odds makers eat crow.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Doppler radar shows all clear for tonight’s titanic struggles in both Cincinnati and St. Louis.

However, Memphis appears to be right in the middle of some inclement weather in case anyone is traveling down that way.

r/Esteemed Rat

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

Also, I believe LA has more starting pitching options that could stop the Cards in a one-game wild card matchup.

This. I’d rather not see Scherzer til he’s a RedBird. If we do face him, let it be a five game series.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    4. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    7. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
    8. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    9. Miles Mikolas (R) P

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Heading to the food truck park for din din and a couple brewskis with some folks. Probably miss first couple innings.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Pretty much the set lineup of late. Still don’t like the order, but they scored 11 two nights ago so can’t complain too much.

Tatis Jr is a stud. Saw him out here in August and the kid is the real deal.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Mikolas gets a 3-up, 3-down 1st inning, and the 1st 3 StL batters of the game score after O’Neill’s HR. A decent start.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Hey they’re not giving Pham a standing ovation. Matheney must be in the stands! Great start team. Not asleep for this one. Goldy rbi and O’Neil dinger!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

To think that Jurickson Profar was the number one prospect in all off baseball for one, maybe two, years!

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Mikolas had a curveball like that when he first came to St. Louis. I’m guessing that he’s been working with Waino.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years