2021 Cardinals MLB Game 137 thread – Friday, September 10 vs. Reds

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 137 thread – Friday, September 10 vs. Reds

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Wooster
    Participant

Free

Oh my …got to play 9 innings, not 8

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Cards want their season to end this weekend it looks like

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Bad news is we lost in the 9th. Good news is Reyes wasn’t pitching!

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well we tried one of those other guys in the 9th. Still same result. A close game at home in a playoff hunt, type of game we should win.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Been stuck in neutral the entire season.

The team is neither good nor bad – it’s tepid and frustrating to watch.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whatever deJong was working on the last couple weeks didn’t work.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

At least we competed for 8 innings. Memphis and Springfield got splattered again. Too many batting practice pitchers. Peoria won but they are something like 25 games under .500 and there is nothing much there except Walker. Winn is still struggling after moving up in late July, .241 OBP which I wouldn’t have thought was even feasible. Another ‘young for level’ guy. We seem to have a ton of those. What happened to the guys who were age appropriate for the levels? Where did they go?

We can cherry pick a few guys who seem to have a pulse, but the fact is something happened over the last few years that has resulted in the system being gutted and barren. What was it and has it been fixed? That is vital to know because we is not going to spend big every year to guy what we need.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The road to the NL Central title used to run through St. Louis. Not so much anymore.

This season the Redbirds are 29-31 against NL Central opponents.
    – They only have a winning record against Pittsburgh. Remove the Pirates and they are 17-24.
    – They will finish with a losing record against the Reds even if they win the remaining two games of this series.
    – They are two games below .500 against the Brewers and Cubs each. They have seven games remaining with the Brewers and four with the Cubs.

bccran
    Participant

BB – Since only 10% or so of our minor leaguers will ever wear a major league uniform, I mainly follow the guys I think have a chance to make it. Guys like Gorman, Yepez, Herrera, Donovan, Liberatore, Oviedo, Thompson, Rondon, Burleson, Perez, Plummer, Nunez, Walker, McGreevy, Winn, etc. Looking at the overall vista of all of our prospects would be depressing, and quite frankly a waste of time.

14NyquisT
    Participant

bcc…. do we have enough good prospects to fill out a top-50 list? Maybe it should be shortened to 30. like MLB does.

cardsfan64
    Participant

Free

14N – I feel like there are several kids in the lower levels that need more time to season and literally grow into their adult playing bodies to see if they are real prospects or not. Several DSL players look interesting but are very young! As we saw this year, some that we had written off, (Plummer, D. Perez) are finally showing some promise. So, to answer your question, I do think there are enough players to fill out a top-50 list since things can change as these guys grow and learn to play the game at different levels. My two cents…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardsfan64 & 1964cards names are too much alike to keep them straight. A change needs to be made. But since both are immensely baseball sophisticated, maybe there is something to be said that how we are named helps define us as to what kind of mental characteristics we may develope. Want a rough tough kid? You don’t name him Simon. You bestow the name Nick or Rocky upon them. Now I wouldn’t mind one bit having even half of the baseball knowledge that our two 1964Cardsfans possess, and I’d like it done without having to devote the tons of hours it would take to do so. With that in mind, I am hereby requesting to Brian, UCONN and BicycleMike that I be granted a name change to 1964CardinalsRule.

bccran
    Participant

14 – I’d opt for a Top 25.

Mrperkins
    Participant

Free

I’m hoping we focus on pitching in the the top of the 2022 draft. Hitting bombs is nice but I still believe winning games contributes more to development than is given credit for.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hitting bombs is nice but I still believe winning games contributes more to development than is given credit for.

I agree with this. I used to believe that a minor league system was only as good as its top prospects and the w-l record didn’t matter but I have changed my opinion on that. While developing players to contribute for St. Louis is still the main goal, you also have to develop a winning culture. We need our minor league teams to be successful. No matter how talented a player is if they are used to losing 55%-%60% of their games it is going to take a toll and they are going to develop bad habits.

Viewing 15 posts - 26 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years