2021 Cardinals MLB Game 135 thread – Wednesday, September 8 vs. Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 135 thread – Wednesday, September 8 vs. Dodgers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (14-7, 2.91) vs. TBA
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSE in TN, KY and MS

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Cards must win this one or get swept.

2021 has become a huge, huge disappointment….

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Our only hope to salvage the 2021 season is the following:
    1) Three games with the Reds this weekend – in St. Louis
    2) Three games with the Mets next week.
    3) Three games with the Padres next weekend – in St. Louis.

If there’s ever a time to start a hot streak it’s right about now. Plus the Dodgers still have a series left with the Reds.

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

An okay lineup tonight, but again Shildt gets stuck with only making minor tweaks and does not put guys who are performing in a spot that they could be more productive. Here is a better way to hit this group.

Edman (barely hanging on to the top spot)
    Sosa (gets on base twice a game)
    Goldschmidt (best player the last month or so)
    Arenado (home run leader & hits well with runners on-up to 90 rbi)
    O’Neill (maybe the best all-around hitter we have)
    Nootbaar (lefty bat – shows occasional power)
    Molina (still no automatic out)
    Bader ( good speed in front of pitcher-streaky)

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Seeing Carp go 0 for his last 26 with 11 strikeouts, Shildt is smart enough not to give him three starts in a row. I wonder which inning he’ll get double switched in?

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know the Cardinal season got derailed by all of the injuries to the rotation but I was looking at some of the individual hitting stats and found that if you combine the AB’s and hits of DeJong, Carp, Knizner, Williams, Thomas, and Nogowski you will find 814 AB’s and 142 hits, for a combined average of .174.

That is a lot of AB’s for such low production. That must be corrected in 2022. Our lack of position player depth has been almost as bad as our lack of pitching depth.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

DeJong and Carp have been the two biggest drags on our offense. And it would be nice if Knizner would get a bit more often.

Had management never given that extension to Carp, we would still have Wong and then Edman would be the bench/utility guy. But we have beaten that dead horse over and over on here. A bad decision at the time that has turned out even worse than anyone imagined it would.

That one may top all the bad decisions made the last few years – but there are several candidates.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mitch White righty going for LA

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

They’ll be calling him Cy White by night’s end, Bling. This is simply a game that the Cardinals cannot and should not lose. Unfortunately, it would be just like this 2021 Cardinal team to disappoint yet once again though. Waino is aging like the finest of fine wines. You know, one of these years Waino is going to hang them up. Wouldn’t it be sweet if Waino, Yadi and Albert could all ride off into the sunset together with a WS banner? 2022.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Three’s a crowd, Pugs.

1982 willie
    Participant

Blingboy you shouldn’t be hating on waino like that.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That’s a good one, willie

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

vs Pujols in the 5th Wainwright threw 5 or 6 pitches all under 90 MPH. You don’t have to throw upper 90s to get guys out. Sinkers upper 80s and 2 curve balls mid 70s.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Hey we won one.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is what blowing 9th inning 4 and 5 run leads will do to once vibrant game threads; turn them into morgues. That’s ok….these next 7 months will blow by quickly, so we can once again have excited and hopeful posters indulge into Cardinal Nation game threads, complete with mouth watering din-din revelations. I wonder what our team 9th inning ERA is over this past month? Pretty darn lofty I’m sure. Has it ever been eclipsed? Just may be a question best left for our good friend Skippy and all of the good folk situated over at the esteemed Elias Sports Bureau.

1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Another good start by Waino. He has been amazing his season.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Why didnt they bring Reyes in during the Dodger rally in the 9th?????

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards’ 9th inning ERAs by month:

Apr: 3.15
    May: 0.50
    Jun: 3.71
    Jul: 7.16
    Aug: 3.70
    Sep: 24.30

Not sure if these stats include tonight’s game. If not, since the Cards gave up only 2 runs in the 9th tonight, that will lower the ERA for Sep slightly.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Wow crazy stat there Euro- and totally telling the story of the present funk. Why I’ve been laying low till they start winning again. Glad to see Waino have a good night and lots of hits. Saw Dodgers got 2 in the 9th and Galleagos closed. Glad it worked out but some people never learn. Very glad it wasn’t Reyes. Rats probably is too.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yup, Wainwright’s games are worth watching, although I was splitting time with US Open tennis tonight. Haven’t been watching the non-Wainwright games during the tournament. He’s amazing this year. Remember Wooster, a shot of Scotch in the middle of the 8th can help keep your blood pressure at moderately high levels instead of through the roof.

Also remember Pugs’/Brain’s 2-drink per inning limit, while annoying simply due to its existence, is actually very liberal. One shot is sufficient for me, but you could go one shot each for top 8th, middle 8th, top 9th and middle 9th if you suspect Shildt is itching to get Reyes back in the closer’s saddle.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Guess I better buy some Whiskey. LOL !

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

35,566 another nice crowd. Our pitchers only struck out 5 batters the whole game but didn’t walk anyone. You don’t have to rack up a ton of Ks just like you don’t have to throw 100 MPH.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

Was at the game tonight. Got a bit spooked in the 9th. Great job by Waino. Great weather. My boy Sosa keeps getting job done. Looks good at short. Gonna be at game again tomorrow. Like to see another win.

kscardfan
    Participant

Free

And that was the smallest crowd of 35k ever. More like 20

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.