2021 Cardinals MLB Game 133 thread – Monday, September 6 vs. Dodgers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 133 thread – Monday, September 6 vs. Dodgers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

3:15 p.m.
    RHP Miles Mikolas (0-1, 4.41) vs. RHP Max Scherzer (12-4, 2.40)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSO in TN, KY and MS

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Max’s StL audition or not?

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I am wondering if everyone agrees that at this point in time there is no way Alex Reyes should even be in a game anymore? Unless the Cards lead 8-1. And even then he should have a quick hook.

r/Esteemed Rat

bccran
    Participant

Need to get to Max early. Before he gets in the groove.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

This one looks like it will be ugly. Big mismatch on the mound. I expect a good old fashioned butt kicking to the tune of 9-1, with Scherzer possibly threatening the 20 strikeouts record.

(Now watch, the Cardinals will knock Scherzer out in the third and go on to a 7-2 win 🙂 )

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There will probably be a nice crowd today to see the Dodgers and their minimum wage guy.

The home team faces long odds but they could show some character and play a crisp clean game, take good ABs, get competent management. Show some pride in the uniform and some self respect. Do the best they can against a superior opponent and who knows what ‘ol Abner will pull out of the hat.

The St. Louis fans will be appreciative of a good effort and a well played game no matter the outcome.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I know I’m flogging a dead horse here, but I continue to be baffled by this managerial philosophy of changing relief pitchers every inning no matter how well they are doing and for no discernable offensive reason. Can somebody please ‘splain it in simple language to this aging baseball fan.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Dodgers manager implied that Pujols may only start against the lefties, which would be Tuesday and Thursday. But that doesn’t mean he couldn’t pinch hit. Otherwise, those who bought the $5.55 tickets for this series could be disappointed.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Arenado and Yadi sitting. What does Carpenter batting fifth say about the rest of the lineup?

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    4. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    5. Matt Carpenter (L) 3B
    6. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
    7. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    8. Andrew Knizner (R) C
    9. Miles Mikolas (R) P

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Looks like Shildt has tossed in the towel before the game even starts.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

CiF, I think sometimes the thinking is limiting a reliever to one inning will allow him to be available again the next day whereas multiple innings generally means unavailable the next day. Don’t know what Shild’s thinking is, assuming there is thinking.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Whats up with Nado Tornado? Giving him a rest? Carp batting 5th? Getting more bizzare by the day. Maybe we’ve moved on to baseball bingo for the lineup!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rat, on the one hand, the intelligent way of using a closer who has lost his mojo is to ease him through it with low leverage assignments in middle relief and against weaker lineups where there is a good chance of the player being successful and regaining confidence.

In the case of Reyes, Shild has continued to insert him into high leverage situations, and last night the highest imaginable, sacks jammed facing a strong opponent. A situation where a struggling pitcher has a high chance of failure. So now Reyes’s confidence is dashed and he may be useless from here on out. It would not be possible to have handled the Reyes situation any worse. Unequivocal incompetence.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Reyes only threw a couple pitches last night Rats. Good chance you may get to see him again today. Moving forward of course.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Max’s StL audition or not?

No I don’t think so. He will be on the west coast next year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I have given Shildt the benefit of the doubt all year because I think the front office failed to give him an adequate roster but yesterday’s debacle was all on him. Going with the usual suspects to close out games isn’t working any longer.

Reyes is toast as a closer. He doesn’t have the confidence or control to do it.
    Cabrera is basically a LH version of Reyes. He throws hard but no control.
    Gallegos is ok one inning at a time but he isn’t as effective as he was earlier in the year.

It should be obvious to everyone that our two most effective relievers for the last month have been Luis Garcia and TJ McFarland. Can they handle the pressure of closing out games in the 8th and 9th? I don’t know but let’s give it a shot. They couldn’t be any worse that what we have been trying.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

And of course Shildt shows his non-intuitive side once again with a silly lineup, slotting Carpenter 5th. Seems when Carp plays he usually hits in the 3,4, or 5 spots, despite never showing anything to justify it.

Meanwhile Sosa, who has been on on-base machine of late, continues hit in the lower part of the lineup with weaker bats behind him. Here is how todays group should line up if you have been paying attention to performance.

Edman
    Sosa
    Goldschmidt
    O’Neill
    Carlson
    Bader
    Carpenter
    Knizner

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I know it may not be entirely true but it sure does feel like the Cardinals are light years away from being elite with nothing to build on other than aging stars at various levels past their prime.

Feels like we are not on the same universe as the Giants and Dodgers.

I know things can change quickly in today’s environment but can the management / manager we have on place get things done? Just doesn’t feel that way right now….

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Sure is good to know we will have a stud like Mikolas on the bump next season……..

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sure is good to know we will have a stud like Mikolas on the bump next season…….

He was good in 2018. How can you argue with credentials like that.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Scherzer is at 56 pitches through 5 innings. Mowing us down very efficiently. I can only imagine what its like sitting in the stands this afternoon.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yea not able to watch but maybe a good thing. We aren’t hitting for anything.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

Nice to see Carp hasn’t lost his touch – for Ks.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

I still do not understand having Carpenter taking up a roster spot all year.

Why? I get it – we gotta pay him. So what?

Rotating his spot with ML minimum salary guys would be a negligible additional cost and who knows – you might find a player…

I don’t get it.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.