2021 Cardinals MLB Game 115 thread – Tuesday, August 17 vs. Brewers

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 115 thread – Tuesday, August 17 vs. Brewers

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:45 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (11-6, 3.27) vs. RHP Corbin Burnes (7-4, 2.23)
    BSM // KMOX // WIJR
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSE in TN, KY and MS

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Speaking of Wild Card contenders – the Padres just signed Jake Arrieta. Article said he will make his Padres debut on Wednesday night in Coors Field against Colorado.

r/Esteemed Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

We will be fortunate to make up any ground on the Reds the next few days. They have the Cubs at Riverfront Stadium. Good chance the Reds will sweep this series.

r/Esteemed Rat

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I picked the Reds to go to the Series at the beginning of the season, but I don’t think they can get to post season. It looks like both wild cards will come out of the west, but then things can certainly change between now and the end of the season. We have seen it happen.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think most would agree that this three game series with the Brew Crew will tell the tale for for the Cardinals for 2021. They absolutely must win 2 out of 3. A sweep by the Redbirds would rock Cardinal Nation (in a positive way).

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

I fear the tale of the Cardinals for 2021 has already been told.

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Mud, I 100% agree. It’s make or break time, with so many games left against the Brewers. For making the playoffs, I’d bet on the Cards catching them over the WC game.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

This is rubber meets the road time for 2021.

AAA games are over for a while.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think the NLC race is over. This is about trying to get the 2nd WC. The Padres are catchable. They don’t look so invincible anymore.

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Plus I think the Padres have had a tougher schedule as of late.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Realistically, it will take an awful lot for the Cards to make the play-offs. Most fans here sense that. It would take a serious increase offensively from all corners of the lineup and then the Phils and the Pads would have to go poof. And of course the Cards will have to catch and pass the Reds.

Remarkably the said lineup is the one the FO pictured, over the off-season, to be the one that would win us the division. Not quite so with the rotation…. not even close. Nagging injuries did us in. The bright side is that Flaherty and Kim got some rest time while on the IL. Wainwright has kept us from going under completely. He’s taken the ball every time his spot came up. Conversely, that might be a bad omen for him going forward. The thing is that he is a super-duper 40 y.o. competitor. So that’s a TBD. I expect him back in ’22.

I also believe Kim will be back…. he said that he’ll only play for STL or go back to where he came from. In my mind, Hudson is the biggest question mark. Will he come back as the same guy he was before his injury? Mikolas is another ?. I don’t see him in our ’22 plans at all. Then there’s the young guys that have mostly been disappointments…. you know the suspects…. and that includes Liberatore at Memphis… so he’s a TBD.
    And then the inning eating vets… LeBlanc-Happ-Lester. Who knows? TBD. Maybe one will show something at ST, if they make it that far. CMart= out of sight, out of mind. I would like to see the back-end of the BP to stay intact. Hicks is like Popeye…. small stature-big arm. I’m not holding out much optimism for him and his time in St. Louis, just too many injuries to that arm of his.

Those are my thoughts…. and by the way, I know bccran will be reading this…. thanks for your post yesterday (#169811) on your thoughts. They pretty much mirror mine…. its good to know that I’m not alone as a Cards fan during this season and especially with the farm system which has been grueling. Bewildered this season but hope for the next one…. should I make it that far.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    2. P. Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    4. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Lars Nootbaar (L) RF
    7. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    8. Edmundo Sosa (R) SS
    9. A. Wainwright (R) P

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Welcome back Austin Dean.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Nootbaar has his chance to shine. He’s going to be given some atbats. I am pulling for him.

Vittles today was a 1/2 pounder from the Dairy Queen, some baked beans, and a couple of little bags of M&Ms for dessert. After I water the landscaping I am going to make another freezer full of homemade ice cream. It should be ready in time for my late night snack tonight, about the time of the first pitch. And me and Whitey Herdog will be on the couch the rest of the evening with 2-3 cigars, watching the late game(s) from the west coast.

r/Esteemed Rat

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Corbin Burnes can be downright nasty. Lucky us in catching all 3 of their ace hurlers in this series. In all honesty, even though we’re at home, it’s a series that we really cannot win. We’ll get one game though and that will keep the wild card flame still somewhat flickering. With Waino dealing, I’m picking this game as the one we’ll prevail. 4-2 Birds with Lars Nootbaar coming up big on the offensive side of things.

Other than the esteemed Rat, I have not been seeing many din-din revelations of late. I’ll be chomping on Lasagna with tons of extra cheese, garlic bread with extra garlic, potato salad with extra onions, A & W root beer with no ice and 3 Popeye’s apple cinnamon pies to top matters off.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Glad to see Shildt is giving Dean another chance to prove himself, although this is probably his last chance with St. Louis.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Don’t ask me to explain. But there’s something about the way Nootbaar stands in at the plate that makes me think he will be around for a long time.

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

All we can do is play the games. If we don’t make the playoffs, it’s not the end of it all. Just enjoy watching baseball.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Touche Willie. Even if we get creamed by the Crew, like so many teams have this year, just sit back and enjoy the game that we all so cherish. I like your style, Mud…..Nooty-Fruity does give you the feeling that he’s not going anywhere.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since I am a glass two thirds full kind of guy, I say we take two out of three.

Din din is lamb sirloin chops on the charcoal grill. Green beans from the garden. Corn on the cob from down the street. Lemon cheesecake for desert.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As to Nootbaar, I like a lefty who hits easy to all fields. It seems like he is getting more comfortable at the plate.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Not a bad lineup, but not a great order – especially in a no -DH game. You don’t want one of your top three run producers hitting at 2.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

With Edman picking up the pace some I would go:

Edman
    Sosa
    Arenado
    Goldschmidt
    O’Neill
    Molina
    Nootbaar
    Bader
    Wainwright

1982 willie
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Well so far, umpiring is a little off far as strike zone. Their pitcher is good enough, doesn’t need any help. So far waino has kind of barely got by. A little tougher against a confident team. So far we aren’t hitting much but if we can stay close, just need the hits at the right time.

David
    Participant

Free

These first 4 innings are nothing more than an open backhand slap of reality. I’m not saying the birds can’t come back and win the series or even this game but the 6 game win streak coming in is now more magnified as to who those 6 wins were against.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years