2021 Cardinals MLB Game 111 thread – Wednesday, August 11 at Pirates

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2021 Cardinals MLB Game 111 thread – Wednesday, August 11 at Pirates

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:05 p.m.
    RHP Adam Wainwright (10-6, 3.48) vs. RHP Wil Crowe (3-6, 5.47)
    BSM // KMOX
    Also BSSW+ in Oklahoma and Arkansas and BSSE in TN, KY and MS

ZTR
    Participant

Free

Winner, winner; chicken dinner.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I dont know about the rest of you posters but I am getting tired of watching Goldschmidt and Arenado do nothing. Strikeouts, popouts, flyballs, and ground outs. Neither one seems like they are anywhere near where they should be.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Well Rats last night Goldy went 0 fer and Nado Tornado had 1 hit. If you check their overall ba they are both higher than the others I beleve. Haven’t really checked that. I have noticed alot of Nados balls fall at the edge if the track. In Colorado those balls are probably dingers. He has to hit them really solid to get them out. For both the sky high pop-outs hitting under the ball. Alot of pitches sink now a days. So they must really be swinging under the pitch. One thing I noticed in the past is that the really good hitters will follow every pitch all the way into the catchers glove. Carp used to do that when he was really good. Science says exceptional hitters have ecceptional eyesight and can focus at distance much better than a normal mortal!

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Someone asked Derrick Goold about Arenado and Goldy in his most recent chat.

Has Arenado been what you thought he would be? Or has he somewhat underwhelmed you?

I’m on the fence….Admitttedly I have been a little underwhelmed by Goldy and kind of feel the same about Arenado, but not quite to the extent of Goldy.

I guess I was thinking we were getting Pujols-type players who would carry the offense on their backs. (And I realize Pujols was a once in a generation type player, but I thought they’d still perform better than they have.)

Thanks!

You said it yourself. Pujols was a once in generation player. It’s unfair to suggest that a player coming in is the next Pujols because there isn’t another Pujols. Same will be true if fans start to wonder when Ivan Herrera will be Yadier Molina. He won’t. That’s not fair to expect.
    Arenado, one of the best all-around players in the game and for years the player I suggested was the best all-around player in the NL (pre-Acuna, pre-Tatis, etc.), has not been the offensive force intended. He has acknowledged that. He hasn’t been consistent at the plate. He has found ways to get RBIs, and he is likely to be the Cardinals’ first 100-RBI hitter in a long, long time. That said, he has been as advertised when it comes to influencing games in many ways: He’s defensively as good as any player at any position in baseball. He’s stolen games for the Cardinals with his glove, and made it look routine.
    There’s a great parallel there between Arenado and Goldschmidt. Arenado has changed games defensively and searched for that offensive consistency. Goldschmidt’s arrival erased 20 errors at first base for the Cardinals and turned them into the best defensive team in the NL. Just like that. But his offense took awhile to warm. What do they share? Well, start with the ballpark — they went from hitter friendly ballparks to Busch. That cannot be ignored as a factor here.

1982 willie
    Participant

While I won’t say goldy arenado are underperforming, they definitely aren’t over performing. Weve seen both hot but never at same time and in real money situations, they have undelivered. If your money guys go 1 for 4 but that one is a three run homer or double it’s fine but if that one is a single or even a solo homerun it’s not that great. And guys have been getting on for them.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arenado’s career splits shows that away from Denver he is a .260 hitter with a third fewer home runs. He is right on pace for that production this year. He is playing to rational expectation. There is no particular reason to expect him to exceed those kind of number this year or ever.

The Cards F.O. would have been fully aware of his production outside of Mile High, or whatever they call it, and I am sure they are satisfied that he is right on target.

Goldy was a gamble as far as when the downslope of his career would start. As it happened it started about when he stepped off the plane from Arizona. His month by month splits show he has been hot and cold with season totals diminishing from his glory days. There is no particular reason to expect that not to continue.

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

1. Dylan Carlson (S) RF
    2. Paul Goldschmidt (R) 1B
    3. Nolan Arenado (R) 3B
    4. Tyler O’Neill (R) LF
    5. Yadier Molina (R) C
    6. Harrison Bader (R) CF
    7. Paul DeJong (R) SS
    8. Tommy Edman (S) 2B
    9. Adam Wainwright (R) P

jj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

OWAR mlb leaders (qualified)

#42 0’neill 2.9 owar
    #44 arenado 2.8
    #68 (tie) goldy 2.3
    #76 (tie) Carlson 2.2

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill a K with runner in scoring position. He has to be able to put it in play. T.O. sucks. Toss hitting lab in the wood chipper.

1982 willie
    Participant

The thing about arenados numbers at home vs away are this. You obviously play more games at your home field vs any one field. There are a lot of guys that tend to hit more homerun or better at home than away and that’s regardless of the field. I do think there is something to it with arenado cause he does have a lot of warning track hits but he’s also had those at hitter friendly parks so I still feel hes underperformed. Plus it doesn’t take homeruns to drive in a lots of runs, just base hits and sacrifice flies. I don’t have a love affair with the long ball, that’s not how I value a player. It’s how they come through in money situations.

1982 willie
    Participant

Arenado did a smart thing by running there, not sure goldy was going to make it.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Good to see that run and hit on for Edmans ab

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wainwright at 41 pitches after 4 innings. He-might-go-all-the-way.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

No center zone fb for Carlson after just missing the foul pole- bases loaded!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Ok Goldy gets 30 lashes with a wet noodle. Waino hits a wall rule double that inning.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well, here we go again with Goldschmidt and Arenado. Arenado hits into a DP in the 1st and with the bases loaded Goldschmidt grounds out to 2nd.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Yadi’s the man!

blingboy
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Where did Pittsburg get all the Cy Youngs.

1982 willie
    Participant

Well bader I think needs to get off the plate a bit. He’s too close now, fouling pitches he should be hitting. But Dejong picks him up. Good hit Dejong.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

DeJong breaks the ice! Rbi!

1982 willie
    Participant

Pittsburgh has had some great pitchers through the years. Not lately though.

Wooster
    Participant

Free

We get a close play at the plate!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Nice rbi Edman everybody putting wood on the ball tonight!

Wooster
    Participant

Free

Bader had a tough ab I thought Willie. Hes got alot of persistence but his 2nd strike he watched go bye was right downtown. That was the one to hit. In the end he ended up chasing a way low outside ball that would have walked him.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.