2020 Division Series

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Division Series

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The field of eight to be cut to four. Best of five runs Monday, Oct. 5 through Saturday, Oct. 10. Games will be on TBS (AL) and FS1 or MLB Network (NL)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

While on the surface, this info relates most to the Division Series. It is also interesting, though, in that most teams are built differently than the homegrown route.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

IMO, Adam is very good behind the mic.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I am going to have to listen to Waino. I have always enjoyed whenever a broadcast interviews him during a game.

I have been wondering if he would be interested in being a broadcaster when he’s retired. If so, I would love to see the Cardinals have him announce for them.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

A different kind of consistency…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Oct. 5th, 2021: Alex Bregman does not hit HR in ALDS

Oct. 5th, 2022:. Alex Bregman does not play in ALDS

Oct. 5th, 2023: Alex Bregman hits HR in NLDS

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Man, I don’t know. The more I see Randy Arozarena, the less I like the deal and the more I am thinking Cranny was right. I know, I know, time will tell as Libertore could be really good. Let’s hope so. But man it is tough to watch when he has what we need.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BikeMike, I was a fan of Arozarena too. One thing that tempers my thoughts at least a little is that Grichuk, Piscotty, Aledmys Diaz and others have all looked great to start and then tailed off too. I hope for Randy’s sake that he’s for real but it’s always a risk.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Piscotty appears to be the A’s fourth outfielder, starting just one of their four postseason games.

Participant

Free

The more I watch Arozarena, the more I really hope that the Rays insisted on Arozarena in the trade. I said at the time of the trade that I didn’t want to give up Arozarena unless the Rays insisted on him. If he keeps this up, I might regret losing him even for Liberatore….unless Liberatore wins 2 or 3 CYs.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Wainwright is fitting right in.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sandy Alcantara was solid for a while but faltered in the 7th, giving up 5 runs in total with 8 Ks in 6+ innings. The Marlins bullpen didn’t help by giving up 4 more runs in the 7th (6 total-Sandy’s last two batters were infield singles), and they now trail the Braves 9-4.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Alcantara looks like he had good stuff, 8 Ks and only one BB. 8 hits given up in 6 innings. The Braves are a real good offensive club though. Ozuna with a couple of hits and 2 RBI.

And now I see Randy has homered again. Sheesh, this is starting to look like the 1970s, where you can almost make an all-star team out of former Cardinals.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Could the Astros become the first ever sub-.500 MLB team to partake in a World Series? I am sure Manfred and Co are hoping that does not happen.

But they would be partly to blame because of the way the teams were seeded. For most of the season I thought the seeding would be done based on winning percentage, with the divisional status mostly just a scheduling convenience. When I saw the pairings they looked messed up, then I figured it out that second place in your division was worth more than third place in another division, even if your record was worse.

With the short season, that was not a good way to set up the playoff brackets.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bikemike, this is the second time you mentioned dissatisfaction with the playoff seedings/bracketing process. I hadn’t heard much grousing about it so I tried to do a search for related articles and came up pretty much dry.

The Astros already beat the 36-24 Twins, a first-place team in their park, and are leading the A’s, another 36-24 first-place team. Potentially sweeping two divisional champions head to head doesn’t seem like an unfairly easy path to the final four, IMO.

In this unusual season, records mean less because they were exclusively developed by playing within the divisions. What I have read much more about is a belief that all seven Central Division teams lost in the first round because their records were inflated by playing so many games against really bad teams in KC, Detroit and Pittsburgh.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oh my, we better like that Liberator, A LOT!

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Arozarena with a decent postseason so far. Only a .632/.667/1.316 slash line for a 1.983 OPS.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Oh boy, Randy with three more hits tonight. This is looking like the coming out party of Randy Arozarena.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You wonder if Arozarena continues to hit so well next year as Luke Voit still clubs dingers and Gallen and Alcantara keep blossoming into the fine young pitchers they are, if Mo and company will be sent packing. A lot rests on O’Neill or Thomas keeping the Cards from looking totally foolish on three trades in the last few years, along with the big mistakes with free agents and extensions.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I guess I wish I knew who is doing the scouting reports for the players involved and how those views are used by Mo and Girsch. It sure seems like we have really miscalculated on some of these trades. I understand that Voit was somewhat blocked and that pitching and OF has been considered an area of depth. However, we seem to be keeping the wrong players and trading some really good players.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Those players are/were doing well, but some people are overreacting, IMO. Teams divest of players all the time. Some work out and some don’t. No one remembers the ones that stumble.

It is fashionable to have 20-20 hindsight, but nobody other than bccran maybe was concerned about Voit being traded. Gallegos has turned out to be a very good player, too.

Arozarena is off to a fantastic start, but declaring a winner on that trade before the other main player in the deal has even played a single game with his new organization is ridiculously short-sighted.

Gallen and Alcantara were part of a trade of Cardinals surplus (pitching) to get a needed bat (Ozuna) who was a very good MLB hitter with two years of control remaining at a low salary. Only unreasonable people would expect to get a player like that without giving up value in return. Miami was so confident in Gallen they traded him after they got him from the Cardinals.

Mo and company aren’t going to be fired by the social media lynch mob.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

What about Shelby Miller, Luke Weaver, Carson Kelly, Adolis Garcia, Aledmys Diaz, Yairo Munoz, Magneuris Sierra and Oscar Mercado? Stephen Piscotty is riding the bench in Oakland. Jose Martinez finished the season in the minors. Did the Cardinals miss on them, too?

I can be happy for Voit and Arozarena without feeling the need to cast blame and call for people to lose their jobs. But that is just me.

Jon Heyman apparently enjoys trolling fans on Twitter more than being a credible journalist. That is all.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Interesting issue in the Dodgers-Padres game. Bellinger brought back a home run by Tatis to end the inning and the pitcher Graterol threw his glove and pointed into the air in excitement. Tatis took exception and the two teams yelled at each other. I guess showing emotion is not ok when it is the other team doing it. Maybe they need some “unwritten rules” to guide them?!?!?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years