2020 Cardinals Game #2 – Sat 7/25 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #2 – Sat 7/25 vs. Bucs

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Saturday, July 25 1:15 p.m. vs. Pittsburgh Pirates
    RHP Adam Wainwright (14-10, 4.19 in 2019) vs. RHP Trevor Williams (7-9, 5.38 in 2019)
    FSM // MLBN // KMOX // WIJR

Participant

Free

Who’s ready for 1:15?! I’ve finally re-caught my baseball fever, and a severe case of it! Guessing I’m not alone?

A fun little game perhaps, since the Cardinals don’t play the East and West this year, who are you secretly rooting for in the other 4 divisions and a snippet of why….

AL East – Rays, I simply feel bad for them staying very relevant with limited payroll compared to the Red Sox and Yankees, that’s just not fair!

NL East – Marlins – I just do not like any of the other teams in that division for various reasons

AL West – I would have said Mariners because I used to like it there, but after they let their city be partially taken over by hoodlums, I don’t feel bad for them. Therefore, the Billy BeAner’s! The A’s, are like a movie…. no, not Moneyball, Maid of Honor! 97 Wins the past two years which is much better than our beloved Cards, but never past the play in game.

NL West – Padres! Love SD, they lost the Chargers, I got married there, been there every Jan the past decade, great food (awful service), but they need to get a little sports happiness.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

That BLM on the back of the mounds that i see. I think somebody was dyslexic, it should just be MLB..:)

r/Esteemed Rat

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Same batting order as last night.

Participant

Free

Rat gets +100 points, nice call!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

KK pregame

Happy that team won the game. First experience as closer. Was a bit nervous. Will be better next time. Not clean game for him. Have to improve every game. (he repeated this many times throughout)

Baseball is about momentum and his first pitch was a ball. Error (on Edman), but it was hard-hit. He saw it as a base hit.

Slider did not break as much as he thought. Wasn’t as good as it was in exhibition games.

After the game, teammates poured bottled water and all other kinds of drinks on him (to celebrate first save). Some went in his ear but he is fine. Trainer will write details on the ball and give it to him.

First game in big leagues, honored. He is 32 years old and seems like biggest dream. Was nervous because not much experience as closer.

Closer routine different from starter routine. Will have to learn to be ready whenever he gets the call.

Am in good condition today to pitch if called on. But have to be ready even on days when not feeling good.

In response to my question, the baseball in US is bigger and the seams are thicker than in KBO. But he has had 6 months to get used to it and all others coming in have to do the same. Not an excuse.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Shildt pregame

Carlos is starting Tuesday and MIkolas Wednesday. Sequence was up for evaluation after the exhibition game.

Jack and Waino bout built up. Could be 85-90 pitches, but same as yesterday depends on whether he working easy or laboring. Mentioned Wainwright’s signature curve and called his changeup “Devastator”.

Gallegos was very sharp (in pen today). Hitters gave good feedback on movement. More consistent with command. If he recovers (overnight) we should see him in the pen.

On Carp 5th vs. 2nd. A little bit about having runners, get on base guys. Plus with Edman switchhitter, it keeps other teams from advantage with three-batter minimum. Carp driving ball through middle. Opportunity to drive in runs. Or if walked then Yadi also good situational hitter behind him.

Last night had both Helsley and Miller warming. Liked how the ball was coming out for Helsley. Some matchups before can’t be used (with 3 batter min). Pen guys can get hitters from both sides out. Can provide different looks to righty and lefty.

Kim was kept a starter in camp because they wanted to see how Carlos and Mikolas got ready for the season – if they had a setback or didn’t look right. As a result, there was not time for Kim to pitch on back to back days.

Taxi squad for road trip will be Max Schrock and Jake Woodford. Both have been in system and in camps before. Hope they stay sharp and gain from the experience.

With new rules, will sharpen learning on getting guys ready. Saw that another team had extra innings last night and plan to watch to learn how other teams play it. Not just the action, but the situation, who is up, who is on deck, etc…

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Three of the last four seasons Adam has been vulnerable to LHB’s; .841, .821 and an .884 ops allowed last season. The Bucs have five batters who can bat lefty scheduled today in their lineup. May be a determining factor, positive or negative, in Adams outing.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I think that Kwang Hyun Kim is actually Kwang Hyun Cecil. At least from what i saw last night. Did we flop on another lefty reliever???

r/Esteemed Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

HR for Goldy off Big Mac Land. 1-0 Cardinals, T2.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think Kim will be fine Rats. His pre-season work was very good. Might need some adjusting to a relief role though.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

RB,
    You did Not just post that re Kim after ONE game. He certainly didn’t impress last night but it was his debut and in an unfamiliar role, if I heard correctly.

Mayhaps you might withhold judgment just a tad longer?

Participant

Free

Yeah I agree it was his first appearance. Let’s give it a couple more appearances on Kim.

Waino is at 42 pitches already. Might be a game we see Gomber or DPD.

Participant

Free

Waino has settled in a bit. I would like to see him removed at any sign of trouble in the next inning.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

6 strong innings from Waino. Sure didn’t expect that, particularly during the 2nd.

Should be done.

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

No, on KK as a flop, after 5 batters.

grounder (E-5 Edman)
    liner (double)
    grounder
    fly out
    grounder

PIT still gets 1 ER, if the error is an out, but hardly “flop” worthy

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

198th career quality start for Mr Wainwright, per Rick Horton

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

DeJong could have a huge RBI year…

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp needed that double, atta-boy

Participant

Free

Is it my imagination or have Cardinal hitters time after time today taken first pitch strikes right across the heart of the plate?

Participant

Free

I think Kim not looking sharp yesterday was the product of a career long starter closing two games in three days

Participant

Free

9-1. Fun game to watch. Nice to see Waino looking good and the offense doing nice woodwork.

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

That’s a Winner!

Team looked good. Now for the sweep!

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

One of those boring games for posters where everything goes right and everyone contributed. Cards made it look easy. It’s early, but Cubs lose to make it one nice Saturday.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Goldy postgame

On Waino, have seen him do it for over a decade now.

Team will need to take good ABs from 1-9 to win this year.

Less margin for error this season. Play best to ability and see where we end up.

Question about Big Mac sign HR. Paul hit his way harder than me. Just good to get on board.

On road trip difference. Got used to protocols here pretty quickly. Will do what we need to do.

Paul DeJong with bases loaded. Made a big deal not to rush up to the plate. Slow game down. Have a plan. Has all sorts of breathing work to do to calm anxiety. Allows best me to come out. Being calm and selective in situations.

Last season, Ozuna told him about hitting cleanup. Take a little extra time and relax. Working for him now so will keep doing it.

Better lineup synergy this year. Communications from top to bottom. Being tough out, working counts. Selective and aggressive. Ball Talk before game discuss plan against pitcher. Then talk in dugout when reliever comes in. Share info on how ball looks, is moving, etc.

3-run HR is nice, but double in gap after walk or single can mentally destroy another team. Little things like stealing bags. Piling on at end of game to put opponent away.

Lot of speed guys in lineup for him, Goldy, Carp and Yadi to drive in. Not relying on HRs will help. Taking it to the other team is big.

Goldy is unbelievable hitter. Talent and focus. Defense. So smart. Great communicator, especially in Ball Talks. Basically a savant. Our most complete player. He is an ox. Look at the size of his bat.

Last year, didn’t realize how close they were to the World Series. Last year, talked about having an elite defense and they did it. This year, talking about having an elite offense. Win at every facet of game. Felt like they were on heels in CS. Changing mentally. Be ready to execute plan vs. chasing what pitcher is doing.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years