2020 Cardinals Game #13 – Wed., August 19 vs. Cubs (DH G2)

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #13 – Wed., August 19 vs. Cubs (DH G2)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

45 minutes after Game 1
    Cardinals are home team
    Bullpen vs. TBA
    FS Midwest // KMOX

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shildt just confirmed that Johan Oviedo will make his MLB debut as the starter in Game 2.

“Oviedo is the most built up guy we have in our organization,” the manager said.

The actual roster moves will not be made until after Game 1.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wow. Cool to see him get a start, but that’s a bit of pressure. Hopefully he pitches well. MLB has Alzolay as the Cubs game 2 starter.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lineup:

Wong 2B
    Carlson RF
    Goldschmidt 1B
    Carpenter DH
    Miller SS
    O’Neill LF
    Schrock 3B
    Knizner C
    Bader CF

Oviedo P

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858booyah
    Participant

Free

So I’d assume that the available arms out of the pen would be.

Woodford

Cabrera

GG

Miller

Crismatt-maybe???

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cardinals may not know what to expect from Oviedo but the Cubs don’t really know what they are going to get from their youngster either. He was ranked high on their prospect list at one time but hasn’t done much in the majors yet. This game is winnable.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am wondering if having more left handed pitching would help negate the Cubs lineup.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    1964cards
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This kid throws hard. Control and pitch count becoming an issue right now.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Oviedo was good…Alzolay even better. The Cards didn’t give up though and now have things tied up going to the 7th. 2-2

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unfortunately, it looks like we may have gotten bad Andrew Miller tonight. Two straight singles and he’s in a jam.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

David Bote kills us again on an 0-2 pitch. Friggin Cubs.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Seems like the Cards are really good a GIVING games away this year….

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Surprised Gallegos went with the fastball again at 0 and 2. Maybe they were concerned that a breaking ball might get away, but thought he would go offspeed there.

A buddy of mine had one of Bote’s uncle’s as a teammate in college baseball.

1982 willie
    Participant

that was just a mistake to throw an 0-2 right there. I think the catcher wanted it way up but that wasnt where he threw it.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

Before today, Gant + Gallegos:

7.2 innings, 1 hit allowed, 1 walk allowed, and 12 strikeouts. Clearly the best two bullpen arms, right?

So who comes into a tied game in the top of the last inning? Andrew “paycheck” Miller.

And finally, after three base hits, NOW the idiot manager brings in Gallegos to try and escape an almost impossible jam. Nice going, Shildt.

Career as Cardinal:
    Andrew Miller 58.1 IP and a 4.32 ERA
    Gio Gallegos 78 IP and a 2.19 ERA

So how on earth does Miller rate the high-leverage role over Gallegos?

And Gant? Oh yeah, he was used with a 5-run lead and the bases empty in game 1. Mike Shildt couldn’t have done more to lose game 2 if he’d been operating as a Cub-employed double agent.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Think Shildt saw Miller as the better option with Schwarber and Heyward. But not sure why he let him face Hoerner.

1982 willie
    Participant

oh well. i guess we will have to settle for a split.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Don’t like losing the series. Should have won that game where we had the 4-1 lead, and had a shot at this one. BR makes a good point about using Gant in the blowout game. Questionable use of resources there.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kimbrel got an extremely generous strike call on 2-0 that just about iced it. That was all she wrote from there. In a way, I’m glad that it came down to Wong and not Carlson. Dylan has been pretty bad in key spots and his confidence has to be somewhat low right now.

1982 willie
    Participant

i dont really ever think miller is a great option. I also agree with bob about gant pitching in game 1. But overall it was a good game. you cant win em all.

Bob Reed
    Participant

Free

“I Think Shildt saw Miller as the better option with Schwarber and Heyward. But not sure why he let him face Hoerner.”

You’re probably right, Mike. So let’s examine Shildt’s logic.

Miller allowed lefties a .667 OPS last year. Not bad.
    Gallegos permitted them a .518 OPS. Spectacular.

So if that was Shildt’s reasoning, it was not defensible in my opinion.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, and in his few stints this year Gallegos has been untouchable.

Still puzzled though with the pitch selection at 0 and 2 on Bote. Thought for sure a curveball was coming and expected a swing-and-miss. But Gallegos came back with the same pitch as the 0-1. But Bote missed that one, so who knows. And as I mentioned, a curve in the dirt could have been trouble.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.