2020 Cardinals Game #1 – Fri 7/24 vs. Bucs

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2020 Cardinals Game #1 – Fri 7/24 vs. Bucs

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

DEXTER GOES DEEP!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Outfielders doing damage tonight. Fowler joins O’Neill with a solo HR. 2-0 in the 5th.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Wong never got in sync trying to score on that. Nice inning though!

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Musgeove has good stuff. That breaking ball looks real tough to hit. Bucs look to have a good one here.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Glad to see Jack looking solid, and the outfielders pulling their weight with the dingers. Now to get some more of those with men on base…

Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler looks more animated tonight than he has in the past. He looks more like he’s got his head in the game, JMO.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Edman having a tough night. Ball not sticking in the glove, couple of Ks.

Participant

Free

I guess this is why it’s risky to make a starter a closer

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Whew – Kim hangs tough to get his first save. Nice win!

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Nice win! A little dicey in the 8th and 9th, just like we’re used to! But good at bats for the most part with a couple exceptions. Keep it going guys.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Postgame 7/24

I am not taking photos tonight unless the Cards media gang focus their camera. Super blurry.

Tyler O’Neill

Good to get barrel on bat. Trying to slow things down. Not get jumpy. Not get ahead of pitches.

Learned he was starting yesterday when lineup was posted. Letting his work to his talking. Lane and Dean on the bench can equally contribute.

Wanted to show league we are here for business.

Jack is Jack. Bulldog. Always put us in a position to win.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice dingers by O’Neill and Fowler early. But overall the OF batted .200 tonight with an OBP of .200.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Jack Flaherty said it was weird, different without crowd. Really felt it with the big punchout of Moran. Big spot, used to the roar of crowd.

Warmed up without jersey, with black shirt on. Will prob continue during season. It was the one MLB sent that the others wore during BP. Knows all eyes are on him. Wanted to make it known.

Felt like he had been trying to hard to get Ks in camp. Pirates lineup doesn’t strike out a lot so focused on getting quick outs (had no inning more than 12 pitches until 7th).

Feels his curve has come a long way (along with slider and fastball).

Complimented Goldy for his footwork on play against Dyson to compensate for his not great throw.

Didn’t like not getting to hit but liked offense scoring five.

Last start in official game was in Washington (in NLCS) – a long time ago.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Shildt said it was a big league DP to end the game. Not a routine play.

KK threw strikes. Tough hop to Tommy, pitch up to Moran, then grounder found a hole. Made quality pitches and got DP to end it.

O’Neilll continuation in seeing him improve. Taking more quality at-bats. More attention and clarity to approach. HR was a good swing for him. Seeing sliders better.

Was watching DeJong in BP using his hands for sweet swings. Turned out to be big in game.

Jack was super efficient. In control of counts, Multiple pitches for strikes. Was still making quality pitches in seventh.

Entire lineup too a lot of quality at-bats. Made Musgrove work. Depth of lineup. This is what elite offenses do.

Having Summer Camp at home helped normalcy of no fans. Missed their electricity.

Was snafu before anthem. Expected announcement of moment of silence. Awkward in between. All stood for anthem in respect.

Helsley similar to Flaherty. In control. Attack mode. Everything crisp.

Wong slide play. Appreciate his effort. Aggressive heads up play. Didn’t work but made guy make the play.

Participant

Free

Pretty good game and good showing by Jack but I think he is letting his ’cause’ get to his rep. Pretty soon all the press guys are going to asking only questions on what his ’cause’ is doing. Edmond had some tough chances. Once again that old bugaboo, strikeouts, raises it’s ugly head.

I deliberately missed the National Anthem but it sounded like it didn’t go bad but how long is that garbage painted on the back of the mound going to be there? I try to meet them half-way but that and the patch on the uniform is beyond the reach. They need to have a class on exactly what they are supporting is really up to – and I mean all of MLB.

Good to see the season get started and that little crowd noise does kind of add to the environment. Understand that MLB supplied the crowd noise source to all teams so the same crowd will be at all games…lol.

Participant

Free

I’m in huge favor of the fake crowd noise, it would be worse watching at home without it. Hopefully they figured out a way for the Astros to get boos on the road!

MM3 I support your 2nd paragraph 100%.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It reminded me of watching a Marlins game.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

We will posting St. Louis MLB game recaps each morning this season. Marilyn Green and Leonda Markee are sharing the duties.

St. Louis Cardinals MLB Game Recap – Friday, July 24, 2020

Participant

Free

We were hearing pretty good reports on Carp and Harry’s Son during the resumption of training. They didn’t show much last night but it is a short season so who knows. Just kidding of course but both guys seemed to show the same tendencies, watching strikes go by and hitting into the shift. Buckle down Wynsocki – we gotta take the Pirates down for sure. Waino goes today. Hope he still has the touch. And please clean off the back of that mound. Seems to be a lot of extraneous dirt on it. My first look last night I thought it said ALM and that would have been good but closer inspection got me riled up again. What is on the arm patch?

jj-cf-stljj-cf-stl
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Some view the back of mound as a misspelling of MLB

Participant

Paid - Annual

O’Neill’s postgame interview on FSM last night was interesting. He talked about how he has tried to shorten his swing to cut down on the strikeouts and how he has slimmed down from the Mr. Universe look (paraphrase) to try to avoid the injuries. Both are positive developments.

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years