2019 Triple-A Memphis – Three-peat?

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 Triple-A Memphis – Three-peat?

This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 10 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    PadsFS
    Participant

Free

The 2019 Memphis roster is shaping up to be very good once again. Gomber and Poncedeleon are likely going to start there due to lack of spots in the ML rotation. Maybe even Hudson as well. Likewise, Mayers, Webb, and Gallegos will potentially be held back to AAA due to lack of ML bullpen spots.

Offensively, they return another star-studded lineup with Knizner, Schrock, Urias, Sosa, Arozarena, Thomas, Williams, and Garcia. Wow.

CA Knizner
    1B Ravelo
    2B Schrock
    SS Sosa
    3B Urias
    LF Arozarena
    CF Thomas
    RF Garcia
    DH Williams

P Gomber
    P Poncedeleon
    P Helsley
    P Woodford
    P Cabrera

Also Williams Perez and Mike Hauschild in there somewhere. Potentially, Drew Robinson will be too.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One minor correction. I doubt Mayers pitches in Memphis. No options remaining and unlikely to clear waivers.

I don’t think you can count Edman out. He was the co-MVP of the PCL finals. My guess is that he may end up starting ahead of Schrock.

Another assumption is that the roster clutter is cleared enough between now and then that both Munoz and O’Neill are in St. Louis. That would probably not be the case if the season opened today.

It looks to be another very strong team.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

They lack the big bats of Voit, Wisdom and O’Neill from last year. Thomas could regress (he doesn’t have a long track record of power – last year was his first with more than 8 HR.) So they could have a power shortage.

Do you think Mayers would pass through waivers?

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Reyes, O’Neill, the Hudson-Hudson battery, Nogowski, EMendoza shouldn’t be dismissed Edman and over Shrock.

PadsFS
    Participant

Free

Forgot about Mayers lacking the option. I guess I blocked his 2016 appearances out of my memory.

Mendoza would have a hard time cracking the Memphis infield since D. Robinson, Sosa, and Urias are on the 40-man while Schrock and Edman loom as well. He also wasn’t impressive at Double-A. We let Mejia get away after a stellar Triple-A campaign (in 2017) so I don’t see Mendoza getting moved up.

Ravelo blocks Nogowski too, which isn’t a bad thing. I’d like to see some depth at Springfield. They will have Jeremy Martinez, Nogowski, Edman maybe, Robertson, Mendoza, (maybe Montero). I wouldn’t mind seeing Montero pushed a bit, but starting the year in High-A.

• This reply was modified 10 months, 3 weeks ago by Avatar PadsFS.
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Memphis should be very good again and Springfield may struggle again.

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

There appear to be too many pitchers. Barring injury some prospects may have to pitch at Springfield.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Also, we should not assume that all of the veteran free agent pitchers signed will be kept.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years