2019 Cardinals Appreciation

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 Cardinals Appreciation

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know that the season didn’t end exactly how we wanted it to, but after some time to calm down, I think a measure of gratitude is in order.

The Cards managed to break through their rivals in the Central and make it to the playoffs for the first time since 2015, and then knocked off the Braves for the first NLCS appearance since 2014. We got to witness some sterling pitching from one Jack Flaherty, channeling his inner Bob Gibson for half the season and showing us a glimpse of a potentially special future. We saw Dakota Hudson have a wonderful rookie season with more wins than any Cardinal rookie hurler since the 1960s, I believe.

For a change, the defense and the bullpen were strengths rather than liabilities. The Cards could make a case for as many as 5 players as Gold Glove candidates, and the defense regularly made game changing plays. The bullpen overcame the loss of Hicks and remained one of the best in MLB all season long.

The offense, while streaky, had a knack for comebacks. Quite a few times I had given up on a game only to wake up and see that they had fought back to win. Guys like Edman came up to provide a spark and the hope that the offense can turn the corner next year with some tweaks.

Finally, who can forget the sweep in Wrigley in September?? It’s gonna be hard to top that one for Cards fans for a long, long time.

So, thanks for the memories, 2019 Cardinals. We’ll see you in February.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2019 was a crazy ride of emotions…and play for that matter….the postseason was really not much different than the regular season

an overall seasonal division winning team
    start hot…can beat anyone…anywhere
    go super cold and look like the worst team in baseball

too bad we couldnt get one more round so that we could swing that pendulum back like the regular season

Regardless

They gave me headaches, but this was a good year and definitely will be a memorable year

Participant

Free

Good points 25…2019 was a very good year. Tommy Edman for me was the spark we needed and without him, we were a sluggish team and likely don’t win the Central. He was the position Player of the year.

Participant

Paid - Annual

It was a very frustrating team to follow in many ways but if you look at the bottom line accomplishments:

1. Won the division.
    2. Ruined the Cubs season.
    3. Finished as one of the Final Four teams standing.

I think the season has to be considered a success.

Participant

Paid - Annual

yes I too think it was a great year. we ended up going further than I thought we would, I think there were far more positives than negatives. we still need to get more consistent on offense next season but I think the playoff experience will help us going forward.

Participant

Free

Of course, it is a success. Why would anyone think otherwise?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

It was a crazy year. I got a kick out of how the club was 40-41 at the halfway mark, just like the ‘64 team, and almost matched my prediction to be at 93 wins at seasons end, same as that earlier version.

To follow up with more next year, we need to have guys make more consistent contact on offense. All of the strikeouts and flailing away at pitches that are well out of the zone was maddening to watch.

But Shildt and crew did a greatnesses job in getting the club to be better on the bases. We not only ran a lot, we did not run into outs very often, which was a big issue with Matheny-led teams.

I can see why Shildt was tabbed as the manager. He seems to let the guys play, and utilizes their strengths better than Mike I. Mike II seems to keep the players relaxed, while under Mike I there appeared to be more tentativeness on the field.

Participant

Free

Mike Shildt is excellent!

Participant

Paid - Annual

The dramatic improvement in defense and base running is a significant change in that the improvement has been made with basically the same players.

Hopefully, we can see the same kind of improvement next year in consistency in the offense.

Improved bullpen was also a plus. For the starters a strong first year for Hudson, a superb second half by Flaherty and a great comeback by the veteran Wainwrignt. I thought Mikolas was not as consistently sharp as last year so maybe he will comeback next year.

We have to feel good about the strong second half and the division championship. The team appeared to wear down late in September with a few more defensive lapses and less effective bullpen work particularly by Gant, Brebbia and even Gallegos. Pleasant surprise with performance by Helsley.

I do like Shildt even though I sometimes disagree with his moves but he is right much more than I am. I first learned about him when I went to Johnson City games at Burlington and Danville when he was the manager at Johnson City. There was just a sharpness about that team that impressed me.

Participant

Paid - Annual

im personally not sold on mikeshildt far as strategic moves go and I wish he would try small ball a little more often. but the players seem to like him and that is an important aspect though sometimes that isn’t always a good thing in the long run.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Stlcard25……always the class act. This season did conjure up a myriad of emotions. Edman, Flaherty, Hudson, Waino, Gallegos, Wong and of course Yadi, brought many smiles in 2019.

I missed plenty of the action in the Atlanta series, but saw every painful out in the Washington whiffathon. After 5 innings of Game 1, I sensed severe trouble and hence retired to the dark recesses of the basement entertainment room. The wifey thought it weird that I would only watch my Cardinals in such a reclusive location, but she did not understand. This series was not going to be one that we Cardinal fans would cherish for the remainder of our lives…..and we all knew that very early on in this series. As much as I wanted to turn that dial, especially on Monday night when the Packers were also playing, I did not want to abandon our boys of summer, no matter how depressing it was to watch. This series was a tough one to handle, as it really zapped every ounce of pride and enthusiasm right out of me. I hope it returns…..and soon.

Participant

This series was a tough one to handle, as it really zapped every ounce of pride and enthusiasm right out of me. I hope it returns…..and soon.

How many players are feeling this. And most of the rest of us.

Its up to the Front Orifice to melt some memories of the NLCS away… “and soon”. It will be leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

As far as appreciation… I truly enjoyed the stretch run right down to the final weekend. Great baseball.
    Thanks Cards.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think very positively about our pitching in the future. I like CMart going back to the rotation. He simply has too many pitches for a reliever. I still have hope for him to be a 2 or a very good 3. And for those wanting to trade him, I think this route can bring up his value if he is deemed a trade chip.
    But overall I love what Flaherty has done in 2019. He has taken that next step as a pitcher. Hudson is a valuable innings eater. Hoping for a MIkolas rebound, perhaps somewhere between 2018 and 2019. He pitched some big games in the playoffs. Waino was way better than expected. Rondon, Woodford, PDL, and Gomber could be in the starters’ mix for 2020.
    The bullpen should be pretty solid and deep. Maybe add a veteran closer to bridge gap to HIcks’ healthy return. Fernandez and Whitley offer further depth and could ride the Memphis- St Lou shuttle in 2020. Elledge’s AFL stint has impressed. The kids also offer another potential closer, as their stuff could be up to the task.

The offense worries me.

Participant

Free

Sign Madison Bumgarner to be the LH starter they desperately need.

Participant

Free

Thanks Cards for all the entertainment you brought to this household and all of our fan friends. We talk a lot of Cards baseball during the season be it at church, restaurant or just when meeting up. Guess what – we all have different opinions of how to succeed but we never belittle each other in face to face meetings like some folks on the internet do. Be looking forward to a successful off season and 2020 Spring Training.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Stlcard25, thanks for the sentiments, you are right on all counts. Most of us thought we were looking at a 3rd or 4th place finish about halfway through the season but we ended up in the LCS after taking it to a pretty potent ATL team. Looking forward to 2020 with a few improvements that will get us to the Series… Good year, Cards! Now rest up for next year!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years