2019 American League playoff thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 American League playoff thread

This topic contains 41 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 month ago.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Rat!

CardsFanInChiTown
    Participant

Free

Rat…. no no no!

Anyone else think the Rays stadium is just an odd setup? I can’t figure out one exact thing, and can’t recall ever actually watching a game where there are people actually in the seats.

It sort of reminds me of the dark and coldness of the Expos old stadium.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Lol at Pham. In the post-game interview he was asked if he’d like to thank anyone for helping him to get to where he is today. He said yes, he could thank some people, but he just wanted to thank himself. He thanked himself for doing things like playing catch with himself by throwing balls against a wall.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I know it’s a longshot, but if both LA and Houston come up short at home in their Game 5’s and we upend Atlanta, the path becomes immeasurable less obstructed for our Birds to win it all. Let’s be totally real, there’s simply no way that our Cardinals are going to muster enough offense vs those all of those future Hall of Fame starters occupying the Dodger and Astro rotations. With LA, Atlanta and Houston sitting on the sidelines, my pick to win the WS would not be who I originally selected ( Yankees ), but rather the Nats, who would seem to be a team of destiny. Who ever would have thought the 2019 World Series winner would be one of these 4 teams……the Rays, Yanks, Nats or St. Louis Cardinals?

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

<EuroDandy wrote: Lol at Pham. In the post-game interview he was asked if he’d like to thank anyone for helping him to get to where he is today. He said yes, he could thank some people, but he just wanted to thank himself. He thanked himself for doing things like playing catch with himself by throwing balls against a wall.>

Yep, that’s Team Tommy. In love with himself and no longer a Cardinal – thankfully.

Minuteman3
    Participant

Free

I see that Tampa uses the ‘opener’ pitcher quite frequently. The result last night points out a real deficiency in the way MLB is determining won/loss records for pitchers. The first pitcher for Tampa allowed one hit and struck out 3 in 1.2 innings of work. He left with the Rays leading 3-0. The second pitcher gave up two hits and pitched two innings. He got the win but also left with the score 3-0. Now I am sure we can show thousands of cases where a pitchers W/L record is not really indicative of his actual performances. It would appear that the requirement for a pitcher to go 5 complete innings from the beginning to get a win needs to go away – but won’t because think of all those asterisks they would have to put on the old records…..LOL

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Whether the Rays advance or not they are pretty amazing. To do what they do on a tiny $60M payroll is astounding. They have to have one of the best FO’s in the game. I have read often that you don’t ever want to trade with the Rays because you will lose, not to mention what they do with player development.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I am a broken record on Pham, but I would love to have him back. He would give us exactly what we need – offense.

The non-baseball stuff does not bother me, unless of course it is illegal or hurts your game. Pham’s personality may not be in line with what a lot of people would want – he is certainly non-PC in a baseball sense. But give me that determination and drive on the field any day. I don’t have to be his best friend, and if he helps my team win, I’ll take him.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

However, only the Cards (and now the Rays) know the full details of what it means to employ Pham and knowing both the good and bad, they preferred to part ways with him. In 2018, Pham had been in a season-long slide, but his game bounced back after the trade, in a new location. Just maybe the change was best for all.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d like to see TB win this one game winner takes all.

Vegas Insider: TB +220 HOU -260

MGM/Mirage TB +220 HOU -260

BetAmerica TB +225 HOU – 263

I still have negative feelings about the data scandal.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar 14NyquisT.
    bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I imagine Cole will get things right for the Astros and they will win rather easily. Would love to see the upset though.

I believe the Rays have tried to get a new stadium deal worked out in the past, but have not been able to get it done. What they need is a stadium that is great to go to regardless of the team’s standing. Something like the Giants have would be great for them, an open air stadium near the bay.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Its going to be another Yankees/Astros ALCS. Houston with a 6-1 lead in the last of the 8th. Should be quite entertaining.

As a Redbird fan I am hoping for a Yankees ALCS title.

r/Esteemed Rat

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree Rat. I have always wanted to witness a Cardinal/Yankee World Series. The last one was 1964 which was a couple of years before my time. Maybe this is the year.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Aaron Hicks is back from injury, knocking Luke Voit off the Yankees’ ALCS roster.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Talk about a home field disadvantage of late. Dodgers getting beat at home in Game 5 and the Twins losing their series finale at home vs NY. We all know what happened to Atlanta in their Game 5 at home and to the team that lambasted them in their first 2 games of the NLCS…..yet once again at home. And tonight in Houston, the Astros have yet to tickle home plate in a 7-0 Yankee ballgame in the 9th. Home field just may not be what its cracked up to be.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yanks are 4-0 this postseason so far. They are looking like a machine right now.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carlos Correa walk off homer in the 11th evens the series. Heading to NY for Tuesday.

Viewing 17 posts - 26 through 42 (of 42 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years