2019 American League playoff thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2019 American League playoff thread

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Let’s have all of our American League talk here.

Wild Card: Wednesday, TB at OAK, 7:09 p.m. CT, ESPN

Division Series
    Friday: WC winner at HOU Game 1, Time TBA, FS1 or MLBN
    Friday: MIN at NYY Game 1, Time TBA, FS1 or MLBN

Participant

Free

Verlander…..
    Cole….
    Grienke….

Then repeat in the ALCS and WS.

Can that be beat even by the Yanks or Dodgers lineup?

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I don’t think anyone beats Houston this year. I see a repeat of the 2017 World Sereis, Houston-LA, two old NL West rivals, with Houston winning in 5.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Fame was fleeting for Luke Voit, who lost his starting job and is at risk of being left off the Yankees playoff roster.

https://nypost.com/2019/09/29/luke-voit-trying-everything-to-make-yankees-playoff-roster/

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

But, the wild card game will have two former Cardinal outfielders in Piscotty and Pham.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Rays have managed to make some pretty smart trades in the last couple of years. At the deadline in 2018 they got Tommy Pham, Austin Meadows and Tyler Glasnow (combined 10.1 bWAR this year) by trading away Chris Archer, Genesis Cabrera, Justin Williams and Roel Ramirez (combined 0.3 bWAR this year).

For the As, they seem to, as usual, be greater than the sum of their parts. It should be an interesting game tonight. I’ll go with the Rays to win as they have greater depth of pitching.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

bikemike said:

But, the wild card game will have two former Cardinal outfielders in Piscotty and Pham.

Actually not. Piscotty did not make the A’s wild card roster.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Piscotty has been out for a while and was up and down this year. He missed most of July and September due to injuries. It’s unfortunate because in between (August) he had a very good month.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Rays take a 1-0 lead on a leadoff homer.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

2nd Rays homer off Sean Manaea makes it 3-0.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Piscotty made it back for the last game of the regular season, but the A’s went with a speedier option as their fifth outfielder tonight. They may still add him later if they advance.

Piscotty’s OPS+ this season was 93. As a point of comparison, Matt Carpenter came in at 91.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Otherwise known as the Yandy Diaz Game… his second HR makes it 4-0 Rays in the third.

Participant

Free

I didn’t care for that first Oakland pitcher. apparently hes pretty good but he was leaving a lot of fast balls up. plus tampa bay is sitting on fastballs. they wouldn’t get a fast ball for a strike the rest of the game if it was my decision. I suddenly realized why I stopped watching espn baseball games, the announcers really suck. the one guy said he stops paying attention when someone mentions batting average and all were constantly praising analytics. I guess I stop paying attention when idiots who don’t know anything about the game start trying to talk about it, I muted them.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pham with a HR to make it 5-1.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another Rays HR, this one by Pham, has them up 5-1 in the fifth.

Participant

Free

Oakland has gotten hammered from the beginning, some baseball people were saying they matched up well with the yamkees and Houston based on head to head the second half. its why im not a big fan of the wild card. its more like a play in game to me an di don’t like that. kit doesn’t really give teams the chance to enjoy it. if it was me making decisions, I would first move the season back to 156 games. make the wild card a three game series. baseball has always been about series and matchups. the one game thing doesn’t do anything for me and I don’t think the players or the coaches enjoy it. id go 1-1-1 so nobody gets two games in a row at their place. that’s just me though.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Rays win 5-1 and travel to Houston next.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Thanks for the info on Piscotty. With an OPS+ under 100 and his historically poor defense, then it is understandable why he was left off the roster. Pham with a nice game, including a jack and a stolen base. Another pro-typical 2019 game, with homers and strikeouts in abundance.

Tagging on to 1982’s comments about the play-in game, I believe this will be done away with in the near future. I think MLB will go to 32 teams and have a best 2 of 3 first round. I agree on dropping the regular season back to 154-156 games, which you almost have to do to add a playoff round.

But to do that the big shots will need to see analytics that show the additional two teams plus a few more post season games, minus the loss of six-to-eight regular season games brings in more revenue than the current set-up.

Don’t have cable so do not see these games, but if an announcer did say something like “I quit listening when batting average is brought up”, then I also think the guy is a moron. That just sounds like one of those condescending comments where a person is trying to act like they know more than anyone else. No statistic is worthless – all have merit. Things have not changed that much over the last century – you just need to take in several numbers to get a good overall assessment of a player’s value.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The issue with the three game wild card is that you’re then giving the division winners potentially a week or more off before they get to play again. Historically, teams struggle after longer breaks. So unless they add the games to the docket between the end of the season Sunday and the beginning of the Division Series, I don’t see how it works.

Also, no way are owners going to give up 6-8 games of money from the regular season unless players agree to limit salaries a lot.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, bottom line any change like that gets down to revenues as I mentioned. It would only be considered if the revenue was projected to increase. The fact that division winners got extra down time would not matter to the powers that be if the dollars were proven to be better by shifting some current regular season games to the post season.

If the reverse is true, it will never happen. But I think the trend towards expanded post season at the cost of some regular season will evolve – don’t have any hard and fast numbers on that, just a gut feeling.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, I haven’t seen anything about this lately, and it seems the owners and players have bigger fish to fry heading up to the next CBA, but I learned a lesson with expanded rosters to not count anything out. I pooh-poohed that idea for years, but the 26th man finally happened. I did not anticipate they would limit themselves to just two additional players in September, but that is how they made the money work. And as noted, that is how decisions are made. (It is a side point, but Septembers will be different starting next season as a result.)

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Astros drop the Rays 6-2 in Game 1.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Rays avoided elimination by winning Game 3. Verlander is throwing for Houston in Game 4 Tuesday on three days rest vs. Diego Castillo. Cole would take Game 5 for the Astros if necessary.

In the final game tonight, the Yanks are trying to sweep the Twins. Severino vs. Odorizzi.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Looks like the Rays could possibly force a deciding Game 5 as they jumped on Verlander for three runs in the 1st. 3-0 Tampa Bay after one inning.

A long way to go in this one though. Tommy “I-Cant-See” Pham a dinger in the 1st.

r/Esteemed Rat

UConn CardUConn Card

Paid - Annual

Rat,
    Pham has a degenerative eye disease.

That’s not something I’d wish on my worst enemy.

Discuss his on-the-field performance to your heart’s content.

Lay off the vision comments.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 42 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years