2018 Reg Seas Game #96 – at Cubs – Fri 7/20

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #96 – at Cubs – Fri 7/20

Viewing 17 posts - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Author
    forsch31
    Participant

Free

I am ready to bring up Wisdom and let him play 3B for a long period of time. It is time to see if he is ready. It certainly won’t hurt the defense.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Is it petty to ask why Flaherty batted for himself in the bottom of the 6th?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Forsch…a 14 run lead with 4 innings and they have already put in a position player on the mound i think is entirely fine

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Greg Garcia getting in on the party…drives one out to right to make it 16-1. Save some runs for tomorrow, guys!!

forsch31
    Participant

Free

jager, it is not a matter of the Cardinals having a huge lead. Gyorko has struggled in the field and isn’t hitting all that well. I am not going to give the defense a break for a bad play just because we are winning big.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i dont see why Pena playing his position Molina playing his backup position (still better than JMart) and Garcia playing his 2nd or 3rd position really hurts our defense all that much

I dont think i am giving Gyorko a break at all..in fact i pretty much called him out for it

a 14 run lead where they are throwing position players in the 6th and the gusy you are putting out there are not BAD defenders at those positions isnt really hurting much…i think it is tryign to give Yadis knees a break and Carp deserves the sit after his day…and DeJong could use a breather as id bet he plays both games tomorrow same with Carp too

with a double header tomorrow and a 14 run lead you get some gusy some rest

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cecil had been pretty OK this year but he’s not had a good day. Bowman coming in. I’d like to see Matt pitch the rest of the game if it were possible.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

So I guess a 14-run lead is too high leverage for Cecil, as he can’t get the job done. Bowman now coming in with a 12-run lead and two runners on. I guess this is the kind of situation where you can expect bad things to happen, but with a relaxed attitude.

forsch31
    Participant

Free

Jager, it looked like you were responding to my comment on Wisdom. My misunderstanding.

I agree that it is helpful to get some of them out of the game when there is a huge lead. I just didn’t think we should basically empty our bench with 4 innings of the game left to play in the field. IMO, you let Yadi catch until the 8th or 9th, then bring in Pena. Also let Pena start 1 of the games tomorrow. I like Bader coming into the game. If his hamstring wasn’t a little bit of an issue, I would rather see him in CF and Pham in LF.

Right now it is 16-4 with runners on 1st and 2nd with only 1 out. We still have 8 outs in this game. We will probably continue to pitch our most unreliable relievers for the rest of the game and save the better ones for tomorrow….unless we need them in this one.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Based on the eye test its my conclusion the Cards have the worst bullpen in MLB. Absolute trash…top to bottom.

(Not you Hicks…I love you!)

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matt Bowman double play special!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I love it. Muñoz adds a couple insurance runs with a 2-run shot off Caratini. Cards lead 18-4.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Cardinals win 18-5

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cards score 18 run s off the Cubbies and storm knocks out power and cell phone reception with Cards leading 5-0.All the while I am wondering if Cards go the game in.Power comes back on just a few minutes ago sio I check the score and see 18 runs.Great .Carpenter is playing like a man possessed and even the Anti-Christ Pham got 3 hits.It figures the biggest offensive outburst all season and I miss most of it.Damn.I just hope some of those runs today aren’t going to be needed tomorrow.Seems that is how it go this season.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Well that was fun! However, we are three games in to the Shildt regime and I already have a gripe with him. He should have kept Cecil out there longer. You have a double-digit lead for crying out loud. Even if he is struggling and gives up 5 or 6 runs, you gotta keep the big picture in mind and not get caught up in the moment. Odds of losing that one at that point were approaching 0, so there was no need to treat it like you were in a 3 or 4 run game. You have two games tomorrow and one on Sunday. You can’t be using 5 pitchers in a game you win by 13 runs.

Now having said that, if Cecil cannot even get out of an inning he enters with a 15 run lead, you have to fire the guy. There has to be better options available somewhere, either on the farm or some guy riding the bench somewhere. But my guess is management is shopping him, and some club will take a flyer on him for a low level prospect in the hopes he can regain some confidence and help them down the stretch.

Man, what a turn around season Carpenter has had. 16 total bases today! Incredible. And it looks like Pham’s work during the break is paying off. He won’t be in the #8 slot much longer. You might want to flip him and DeJong for awhile, until Paul gets a better feel for regular work.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I would agree, bikemike, but Shildt declared he wants to go with that top four. Pham may need more success to change his mind – though as I noted on the Shildt thread, he really is a Pham supporter.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

My concern is the offense shutting down after a couple solid offensive games. If they score 18 the next 3 games one would hope they score a couple wins but the bullpen is sort of trash I agree. A lefty addition would be most welcome.

Viewing 17 posts - 51 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.