2018 Reg Seas Game #89 – at Giants – Sun 7/8

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #89 – at Giants – Sun 7/8

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

3:15 p.m. RHP Jack Flaherty (3-4, 3.19) vs. LHP Madison Bumgarner (1-3, 2.58) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Flaherty hasn’t earned a win since June 11 against San Diego. Since then, he has squared off against Quintana, Guerra, Bieber, Greinke and now Bumgarner. That’s a pretty tough quintet, but it would be nice to see Jack break through and get a W.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Okay Mr. Brian Walton, whats the scoop on Molina? Two days in a row not in the starting lineup. This isn’t something serious, is it?

And by the way, my neighbors are the Waltons.

r/Rat

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Is that the Johnboy Waltons or the Sam Waltons?

bccran
    Participant

Flaherty’s a fierce competitor.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The fierce competitor had trouble throwing strikes today and left the game after getting just seven outs with three in and the bases loaded with one out.

Rats, the bottom line is that Molina has not been placed on the disabled list – at least yet. He had a stinger in his shoulder the other day and has lingering soreness.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mayers escaped the jam only because McCutchen did not tag up and try to score on a deep fly to Ozuna. Danny Mac and McCarver could not believe it. Then Mayers got the third out when Alen Hanson swung at ball four and popped out. More good fortune than good pitching, but the result was there.

Cards down 3-1 through three innings.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

St. Louis fought back to take a 4-3 lead, but that did not last long. Pablo Sandoval hit a ball that left the park entirely and bounced into the bay. The three-run shot off Brebbia gave the home team a 6-4 lead and they are still batting in the fifth.

bccran
    Participant

Flaherty didn’t have the location today. Young pitcher learning with every outing. Pena called too many breaking balls. Should have gone to that 96mph 2 seamer more.

NJ315
    Participant

2-run single by Sandoval. 8-4. Holland didn’t have it today.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Holland had a flashback outing, with trouble throwing strikes. Three in for the Giants as Sandoval drove in two and another scored on a fly to Pham that looked catchable. At 9-4 as the sixth continues, this game is feeling lost.

Make that 11-4. Ugh.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The pitching has really been a let down today. If you had told me the Cards would score 4 runs off Madbum, I’d have taken it happily and said we would have a great shot to win. As is, the Cards will need to score a few to avoid a blowout loss.

gmaske71
    Participant

Free

Cardinal fans (not this one) absolutely clamored for free agent signings. We got Dexter Fowler last season and Holland and Ozuna this season. Fowler’s WAR is -1.2, Holland’s is 0 (lower after today) and Ozuna’s is 0.9 for a net of -0.3. In other words the Cardinals would have been better off standing pat and playing their up-and-comers based on WAR. To tell you the truth I think Fowler and Holland have cost us more than 1.2 games simply by blocking lower paid and younger talent. We will be hearing how terrible Moze is after today’s debacle, but everybody liked these signings at the time. Everybody. Also, note: Tommy Pham has done pretty much nothing since around the time of his Sports Illustrated article. “Pride goeth before the fall.”

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With how good the pitching has been as of late. We were due for a clunker. No coincidence that Yadi was on the bench today too. When put higngoes south I always feel like Yadi can help keep it from getting out of hand.

If we can’t come back in this one a split is far from the worse outcome for this series.

Pham and Bader getting checked in the 7th is a bit worrisome. And with O’Neill on the DL our outfield depth might be needed. Think they are just bumps for the two of them but it is always a worry.

The big fly from panda was lame. And then he follows it with an impossible hit to make Holland’s good performance a poor one. Phams no catch didn’t help either.

Bader and Munoz showing up today. Bader truly impressive with his play. At this point if we play Bader and Pham I think you have to put Bader in CF. No matter the outfield arm for RF argument.

Nevertheless. Down a bunch in the bottom of the 7th

Don’t give up!

Go Cards!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Carpenter hit his own 3-run HR into the bay and the Cards are now down by three in the eighth.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

…but everybody liked these signings at the time. Everybody.

No, a lot of people were not fond of the Fowler signing at the time…Namely because it was for five years and $82.5 million, and his previous best offer was three years/$33 million. Several were skeptical of his defense…

Ozuna was not a free agent signing, he was a trade.

Holland had warning signs – his dramatic fall last year. He wasn’t signed until after the start of the season…He started pitching after 10 days…

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bad game for DeJong. Maybe should have let CArp start even against MadBum and let Munoz take S and given DeJong the day off after 2 days off.

But that’s all hindsight.

He’s allowed a bad game. He’s gotta knock rust off defensively and offensively. But we shouldn’t forget that he isn’t the best defender anyways. He’s learning and solid but not good yet.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I swear outside of that blast by the Panda who seems to be having a turn back the clock day at the plate at our expense. It all was nicks and dime hits.

And that Hanson kid of theirs is pretty fun to watch.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards lose 13-8 to split the series, keeping their unpleasant two-month string of not winning consecutive series alive.

St. Louis is three games above .500 at 46-43. The Cubs are now 15 games over and the Brewers are 18 above. Milwaukee’s division lead is 7.5 games.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Alen Hanson was a top prospect of the Pirates, but washed out. He seems to have found a home with the Giants. With Joe Panik injured, it looks like he will get an extended chance, sort of like Munoz with the Cards.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Blah

Only fitting DeJong strikes out to end it. Bullpen couldn’t hold it together today despite the good recent play.

Tip of the cap to Panda and Hanson. IMO. Yairo and Harrison for us. With a little nod to Carp for doing his part eve night on his off day

A split against a good team at their pace is never bad

Get a day off to heal for the push before the AS break

Should be fun

Go Cards!

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I remember Hanson with The Bucs. Seemed like he never got a shot. With all the guys in front of him it kind of made sense.

Still fun skills. Make contact play everywhere. Use your legs.

Panik is a solid player. Reminds me of Mark Ellis. But Panik seems like he can’t stay on the field. I wonder if they might dangle him. He’s still young and despite the injuries a pretty solid player. I feel like the Giants need to find some way to upgrade Thai year if they think they have a shot. And it’s all those vets on the team I don’t see how they don t go for it.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I can see the real Greg Holland has officially made his comeback.

14NyquisT
    Participant

but everybody liked these signings at the time. Everybody.

Now nobody likes these signings (Fowler-Holland). Nobody.

FO flushed plenty of dough down the toilet. Just get rid of them. Some say its very difficult getting rid of Fowler… NTC/$$. Where there’s a will there’s a way…. Holland too. Can anyone think of one good reason to keep them around?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.