2018 Reg Seas Game #83 – at D-backs – Mon 7/2

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #83 – at D-backs – Mon 7/2

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

4-1 runners on 1st and 2nd

Martinez has not retired a batter.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gyorko set the tone for the inning with that error. We really needed a clean game tonight and so far there’s been an out on the base paths and a leadoff error. Neither were total bonehead plays, but still needed to be made. Winning teams make them.

Cmart gets a fly out and a K. He now faces Descalso with the chance to get out without too much damage.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carlos drives a ball into the gap in right center that hops the wall for a ground rule double. Ha!

858booyah
    Participant

Free

28 pitches for Martinez. Only one crosses

Descalso has made himself a nice career in AZ. If he keeps his earnings modest he can play in this league another 4-5 years. He’ll have to play in a offensive driven park to negate the defense. Which to be fair he plays where he’s told to play. Grinder!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Ray buckles down and strikes out Carpenter and Pham. O’Neill in to try to drive the run in. He flies out to CF, stranding the runner.

bccran
    Participant

Rats – I like O’Neill in the 3 hole because he will be super aggressive. Like he was the first time up. Second time up he hit one deep for an out. No Ks yet.

bccran
    Participant

O’Neill’s slash at Memphis –

.304/.365/.663/1.028

His K rate a Memphis this season is 24.5%, not 30%.

Whom would you rather have hitting 3rd tonight? Molina? Gyorko? Munoz? Wong?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t have a position in this discussion, but it is also fair to note that coming into tonight, O’Neill’s K rate with St. Louis – his current team – was 43.9%.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Back to back solo homers for Molina and Gyorko in the sixth increase the lead to 6-2.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Whom would you rather have hitting 3rd tonight? Molina? Gyorko? Munoz? Wong?

Anyone but him!

Maybe he homers late to fuel the fire. IDK

858booyah
    Participant

Free

This should be Carlos last batter. Lucky for us it’s Jon Ryan Murphy.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

So will Jose be in the field because he was PH in the 8th. I would say no but we’ll see.

This is a bad time to experiment. IMO

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I hope someone is up…

858booyah
    Participant

Free

That was close! 6-3

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Only a total Phammite thinks he was one of the top 5-10 players in MLB last season.Total nonsense.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham update
    3 for 36
    11 for 64
    23 for 120
    77 games 79 strikeouts
    16 two strikeout games
    4 three strikeout games
    2 four strikeout games
    on pace for 150 plus strikeouts
    57 RBI pace

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Why was J. Martinez not in the line up? Doesn’t he feast on LH pitching?

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

The fact that Murphy and Harper are in their walk years is more of a reason for the Nationals to be sellers not a reason to go for it. What they could get for those 2 compared to what we could get for Holland and Norris is night and day.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Good to get the win. Greinke will be a tougher matchup, but hopefully Flaherty is up to the task tonight.

bccran
    Participant

That’ll be a good pitching matchup to watch.

As far as O’Neill’s Ks, he only has 45 major league plate appearances per Baseball Reference.
    Pretty small sample to judge a young rookie on. When Johnny Bench was first called up he had an OPS of .462 in his first 93 plate appearances. Not comparing O’Neill to Bench, but it shows how there’s an adjustment period.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I was not passing judgement on O’Neill. I was simply pointing out relevant data that would seem to support questioning whether he should bat third on July 2, 2018, his first game back up from Memphis. Nothing was even implied about his future. Johnny Bench is irrelevant, unless he was an option to bat third instead last night. 😉

bccran
    Participant

Bench is only relevant in showing it may take awhile for a young player to gain traction at the MLB level. And that 45 PAs is a pretty small sample for a young rookie. With J. Martinez out of the lineup, I’m still asking 858 whom he would rather have had in the #3 slot. Wong? Munoz? Molina? Gyorko?
    Pham?

bccran
    Participant

TO didn’t light it up last night, but he did contribute. Ripped a single in the first, scored a run, and helped get the Cards off to a good start. Ked once in 4 ABs.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Had St. Louis not done the deal for Ozuna, O’Neill should start every day. But as constructed, he has to wait his turn.

If Pham does not get back into a groove this year, which I think he will be he has been in an extended slump, then you might evolve into an outfield of Bader in center and O’Neill in right.

But I think that is more in line for next season, and of course still dependent on what happens the rest of this year.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Our defense wasn’t perfect last night but it sure looks better when players are actually playing in their correct positions. I would imagine our pitchers appreciate it too.

Yadi at C (obviously), Carp at 1B (where he belongs), Wong at 2B (where he belongs), Gyroko at 3B (where he belongs), O’Neill in RF (where he belongs), JMart on the bench (where he belongs). I’m not sold on Ozuna’s defense but DeJong will be back soon and hopefully Bader will get more time in CF which is where he belongs.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.