2018 Reg Seas Game #8 – vs. D-backs – Sat 4/7

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #8 – vs. D-backs – Sat 4/7

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

After the day off Friday…

RHP Luke Weaver (1-0, 1.80) vs. RHP Zack Greinke (0-0, 1.59), 1:15 p.m., FS Midwest/KMOX/CRN

With the rotation change, Michael Wacha (0-1, 7.71) is now the starter.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Other than rainouts, how often do our Birds get a Friday night off during the regulate season. Answer: About as often as the cubs win themselves a pennant. A robust shout-out to all of you who sent emails inquiring about our next PBP game thread. I’ll kill 8 birds with one lone stone by extending my gratitude here vs writing 8 individual notes. Well, happy days are here again as I’ll be mounting those long stairs up to the Cardinal Nation booth for tomorrow afternoon’s second contest vs those snarly Snakes out of Phoenix. I’m still in search of a partner to join me in the booth. Those interested candidates can blow a sigh of relief knowing that our qualifications for PBP sidekick have been made considerably easier since our poster base has taken a temporary hit. Our PBP wannabes used to have to submit a 3000 word essay on why they love the St. Louis Cardinals. They also had to score at least a 98% on their 100 question closed book test on Cardinal history. Plus they had to submit at least 50 ticket stubs from the previous season, thus proving they attend at least 50 Cards games a year. And finally they each had to mail in a $250 cash only non-refundable deposit to be considered as a PBP hopeful. But this year is different. Besides having the desire to be in the Cardinal Nation booth, one just needs to simply blow into a clear empty glass….and if that glass fogs up, hence proving life, you’re in! We truly believe 2017-18 is merely a flash in the pan glitz and the Cardinal Nation poster pool will soon swell to it’s normal range of 400-600 die hard Redbird fans. So if you’ve ever fantasized about calling all of the action, but didn’t think you quite had the stuff to succeed, now’s the time to give it a go.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Pugs,
    I’ll pass on the PBP opportunity. I’ll be going to Home Depot and Walmart right after the game and then home for a bite, a cigar, and then watch Mannix. Then a 9-Ball match from the Sands Regency Open in Reno in the 1990s.

r/Rat

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I may be able to sporadically provide some pbp.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wal-Mart, Home Depot and Mannix is never a valid excuse to wave off PBP…… but that 9-Ball from the Sands circa 1990ish sure sounds intriguing, Rat.

It would be an absolute honor and delight to have MrPerkins calling the action at my side….. but not if you bring that IRS hottie that you were/are dating up in the booth with you, MrP. I prefer to stay as far away as possible from those “fine” folks.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Will be on the road for a 7-hour trip Saturday afternoon, so I’ll have to catch the game live on SiriusXM….but Pugs, I’ll eagerly log in here when I get home Saturday night to taste the real flavor of how the game went, which of course can only be obtained by reviewing your PBP log.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

With a complimentary post like Euro’s, how could I not bring my A game to the booth with me tomorrow??? Our skipper sure could take a page out of Euro’s book when it comes to motivating others to do their very best. I’m not only promising Cardinal victory tomorrow, but also a game thread for the books. Game on!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mrperkins
    Participant

Paid - Annual

You are safe now, Puggs. I’m engaged to an elementary school special needs teacher, a complete personality reversal from the IRS woman. Much more pleasant I must say although I miss getting my taxes done free.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Sweet move and congratulations,MrPerkins! Two hours in the PBP booth with an official from the IRS and you guys most likely lose your main man in the booth to a 15-20 year stint in a Fed Pen. Just limbering up for today’s game by doing my customary vocal cord excercises straight out of the late great Bugsy Siegel’s playbook….. repeating “twenty dwarves took turns doing handstands on the carpet” 100 times in succession.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

Not a good start – 2 walks in the first inning

NJ315
    Participant

Wacha in trouble already

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

three walks

NJ315
    Participant

He can’t throw strikes. Bases loaded

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wacha keeps this up and he’ll find himself pitching in Tampa.

NJ315
    Participant

He gets out of it giving up only one run. Good job. 30 pitches not so good.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BOTTOM of 1. Greinke dealing for AZ. DBacks plate a run in the top half of the 1st compliments of Wacha’s wildness. I feel like I just found a stray $50 on the pavement having only had our Cards yield the one lone run in the 1st……wonder how elated Wacha feels???

Fowler – 2-21 lifetime vs Greinke. Lofts a lazy one in the air to center….Pollock drifts a few strides over into to right-center and he has it for the out.

Pham – Pops out to Owings at 2nd.

Carpenter – Lines a low change-up out into left-center for a base hit.

Ozuna – Lines a base hit to left and Carpenter will have to apply the brakes at 2nd as that ball was hit too hard to advance any further.

Martinez -Grounds it right back where it originated from and thru into center for a hit!…… Carpenter prances in with Oz Jr. motoring around to 3rd and we have ourselves a tie ballgame.

Yadi – Raps it on the ground out to Marte at short and he’ll flip it on over to Owings at 2nd to retire the side.

Cards 1 DBacks 1

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Could someone tell Wacha it’s perfectly ok not to get way behind on each and every batter.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

TECHNICAL DIFFICULTIES….SORRY GANG! Just hit the “submit” button for inning #2 and my computer went all haywire. I may not be able to recover inning #2, but I’ll do everything possible to rite the ship here quickly. Not to worry, we’ll get all the kinks out of the way early here in the season and then never look back.

so_cal_cards_fan
    Participant

Free

If you don’t recover the 2nd, I’ll just say the ump missed a Wacha strike right down the pipes, on a day that the 36 degree weather makes it harder the get your normal grip. Matheny missed a perfect opportunity to get thrown out.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BOTTOM of 3.

Fowler – Whacks a 3-2 Greinke offering into right-center for hit!…..Pollack cuts it off, but Dexter will speed into 2nd safely with a leadoff double!

Pham – Spanks a liner into left that falls in just in front of Peralta who nabs it on a hop and Fowler, having to hold up, will have to take up residence at 3rd…… and we have ourselves the making of a decent frame against Greinke here in the 3rd.

Carpenter – Hits it in the air to right where Dyson has it measured……gloves it for the out, but Fowler can simply lollygag it on in with the tying run…..2-2.

Ozuna – Base hit to right!……and Pham will easily make it over to 3rd base and now the Birds have runners at the corners with just one down.

Martinez – Ramrods a drive DEEP to left center!!!…..Peralta & Pollock give chase but can only bid adios to that baby as it’s a goner!!! 4-1 Cards….listen to the crowd!!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Three-run HR to left-center by Martinez gives Cards their first lead of the series, up 5-2 B3rd.

Sorry Pugs, I did not know you were back. Carry on…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BOTTOM of 3 (continued). Check that score. Make it 4-2 Cards and not 4-1……believe it or not, that may be my first PBP miscue since 1999.

Yadi – Reaches out and pokes a little popper into center for a hit!

DeJong – Let’s hope Mr. DeJong can join the Greinke hit parade here. Whiffs hacking once again….2 outs.

Wong – Grounds it out to Owings at 2nd who’ll glove it and flick it on over to Goldschmidt’s waiting mitt at 1st to retire the side.

Cards 4 DBacks 2

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

WOW!!! 19 years in between PBP blunders and now 2 in the same game…….there’s larger odds on winning Powerball than that occurring. Thank you Brian…….I stand corrected….5-2 Birds……you know if you think about it my first blunder of calling the score 4-1 instead of 5-2 wasn’t all that array as it was a 3 run Cardinal lead……I’ll have to get a ruling from the judges, but maybe I’ll be levied just one PBP error instead of two.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

BOTTOM of 4.

Wacha – Pops it up to short right where Dyson comes racing in as Owings hightails it out from 2nd, but Dyson says he wants it and has it for the out.

Fowler -3rd baseman Descalso gloves it near 2nd due to The Fowler Shift the Diamondbacks initiated and DD will wing her on over to Goldschmidt at 1st for out #2.

Pham – Whiffs.

(before giving the score here I brought out the trusty calculater, checked the game tapes and all sports wires and even phoned the reliable Elias Sports Bureau for the score and it is)

Cards 5 DBacks 2

Carpenter –

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.