2018 Reg Seas Game #79 – vs. Indians – Wed 6/27

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #79 – vs. Indians – Wed 6/27

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m. RHP Jack Flaherty (3-2, 2.50) vs. RHP Shane Bieber (2-0, 2.45) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A chance for a sweep with Jack Flash on the mound?? I’ll take it.

The Tribe counter with a young hurler, Shane Bieber, who can only be described as “stingy.” He made his debut a couple of weeks ago, and has proceeded to pitch very well with a 2.45 ERA. Not only that, but his walk rate has skyrocketed to 1.5 per 9 innings upon his arrival with the big club. “Skyrocketed, you say?” Well, this young man has something of a Schillingesque acumen for precision baseball chucking. He has walked a grand total of 6 batters in his 76 innings this year. His career K/BB ratio is 14.2. Lest you think he’s a chump, he also has a career WHIP of .971 and an ERA of 2.20 with a FIP that has never gone above 2.64 at any level.

The moral of the story? “You swing your bats early and you swing em often,” to paraphrase Wilford Brimley. This should be a good matchup of exciting young arms. Hopefully the Cards can come out on top again.

Participant

Paid - Annual

25…. that’s funny…. Wilford Brimley… the guy that usually plays a farmer or a grandfather somewhere.
    I’m surprised you can remember that quote from a grumpy old veteran NY manager in “The Natural”.

Participant

Free

With already a series win, and a night after clubbing the best pitcher in the game, The Cardinals need to make sure they don’t have a let down. I do expect Flaherty to be on his game and if we’re able to get a lead for him early, I see him holding it until the later innings… The bullpen just needs to make sure they hold it for him. And with the way our bullpen has pitched of late along with Hicks and Norris being rested, I see that a good possibility.

Go Cardinals.

Participant

Paid - Annual

No reason we cant win this one.

Pretty impressive team play all around for the last 2
    Pham needs to get back on track but others are filling in well…even Fowler and WOng

Has there been any news on Munoz’s injury?

Participant

Free

Flaherty is dealing lately. Hope it can continue for him.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Munoz’ x-ray was negative and he walked out of the clubhouse without a noticeable limp. Day to day.

Participant

Paid - Annual

From PD Goold’s Q-A

On the Dakota Hudson question:
    Allow me, Derrick: The Cards are wasting a lot of 40-man roster spots on poor players/pitchers, but can’t remove them to make room for Dakota Hudson — even if it could or would help the team win — because they make too much money, because the front office messed up. (Fowler, Cecil, Gregerson in particular.) So the club is trapped in two different ways by their own 1980’s Steinbrennerian stupidity. They block the better players and pitchers with much more expensive players and pitchers, and you have to let them (the bad players) try and earn their paychecks, so you (the front office) don’t look incompetent. by Nancy June 25 at 6:26 PMDG,
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    This is what Iv’e been saying all along!!!

Another question:

Can we talk about the Saint Louis problem? That is, that the city itself has become a problem for the two sports franchises that try to run a business there? Players for in the MLB and the NHL do not want to come here. How does a team in a market where free agents do not want to come, but also who compete just enough to be in the middle, have a chance at winning a championship? They cannot draft high enough to get superstars, so they have to rely on drafting a Pujolsesque player, which is a needle in a haystack. Now these two teams cannot obtain the caliber players they need through FA because those players have no interest in the city of Saint Louis. What do these teams do?? by DDMN June 25 at 6:53 PM

This is the dilemma facing the Cardinals. They must trade. Only way. Trade for players that have control, identify talent earlier and then keep it. Heavy heavy emphasis on development and scouting, and yes … taking some risks to land an upside-player even if the deal hurts.
    by Derrick Goold June 25 at 6:56 PM
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    What is so bad about St Louis that would make pros from wanting to play here?

Participant

Free

Aren’t there openings on the 40-man right now? Hudson could come up with no issues if he’s needed. Gant has out-performed him and has already experienced his “making a ML roster” getting-up-to-speed time. He was the optimal pick so the Dakota problem is strictly speaking, whether you’d like him in the bullpen or not, and, no, I’d like him to stay as a starter as long as possible.

Participant

Paid - Annual

What is so bad about St Louis that would make pros from wanting to play here?

https://www.thetrace.org/2018/04/highest-murder-rates-us-cities-list/

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/mlj45jggj/1-detroit/#529ba78f69d9

Also there is Ferguson.

Participant

Free

What exactly happened to Munoz? I had to be at work early this morning and the delay put the game past my bedtime.

Participant

Free

Carpenter since May 16 is hitting .349/.424/.691 with 16 2B, 12 HR, in 172 PA

Pham since May 16 is hitting .204/.245/.324 with 2 2B, 5 HR, in 151 PA

Participant

Paid - Annual

I too enjoyed stlcard25’s Wilford Brimley reference, Nyquist. Though Tony (Wilford was his middle name) never made it to the bigs, he supposedly was a fair little player. One can easily picture Brimley as a lumbering lug with a lot of power, but little else to offer. But actually he was very fleet of foot and kind of a punch & Judy type hitter with little pop. His sports claim to fame was being called “an intriguing talent” by a Phillies scout who attended his high school game in Utah, not to see him, but another player. He dropped out of high school the next year to join the Marines. Then later he worked as a bodyguard for none other than Howard Hughes. Anthony Wilford Brimley……who knows just how good he could have become had he not ditched school for the Marines????

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Is Munoz available?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Free

I’d like to see Pham get a couple hits tonight even if they’re both singles. He needs to break out of this funk.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Its pretty bad when they have Garcia batting in front of Fowler.

Dexter, why not do something about it?????

r/Rat

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A good first for Flaherty is followed by a less than good second. Two homers for the Indians to make it 2-0.

Participant

Free

Shaky 2nd. Jack made a couple mistakes, it happens. Hopefully he can settle in and the offense can figure out Bieber.

Participant

Free

Here’s the thing I question about the Cardinal offense. You’re. facing a pitcher who is throwing first pitch. strikes to each hitter. Yet they continue to take the first pitch instead of being aggressive.

Fowler’s last at bat is a good example of why he’s batting below 180. Looks at 2 pitches in the Zone, and an Ole swing at a ball in the dirt.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A not so great third for Flaherty either. A lot of dink and dunk junk, but two runs are in.

If he can’t get this third out, I think you have to get out the hook and go to the bullpen while the game is still semi in reach.

Participant

Free

Bad breaks for Jack in the 3rd with the broken bat force play and the bloop single. Cardinal offense needs to pick him up.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Pham has had a lot of bad reads on fly balls this year. The one on the Kipnis blooper cost a run.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carp works a walk, moves over on the Pham grounder and driven in on the Martinez single. Chip away, Cards.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years