2018 Reg Seas Game #78 – vs. Indians – Tue 6/26

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #78 – vs. Indians – Tue 6/26

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m. RHP Carlos Martinez (3-4, 3.24) vs. RHP Corey Kluber (11-3, 2.10) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Before Carlos’ lat injury, this would have been a marquee matchup of aces. Carlos at his best isn’t quite Kluber at his, but he’s not far off. Of course, we all know that Cmart hasn’t been himself of late. Perhaps the tough opponent will help him to focus and he’ll pitch a good solid game.

On offense, Kluber may be licking his chops with all the Ks of late. Looking at league stats though, the Cardinals are “only” 15th in the league in total strikeouts, right about at league average.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, Kluber has two Cy Young Awards, including last season, so the comparison at their respective bests is really not close. Kluber is what Martinez (hopefully) wants to become.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree, with the caveat that their stuff is similar as ground ball pitchers who have good (mostly not elite) bat missing skills. Kluber has consistently done what Cmart has done only in stretches, but I don’t believe that on a game to game basis, the top end is vastly different. That’s what I was getting at.

Participant

Free

C-Marts last outing was a good old fashion but whooping… and perhaps that’s just what he needed to wake him up and start pitching like he’s capable of. Matched up against one of the top pitchers in the game and facing one of the most potent line-ups, I expect Martinez to be up for the challenge. Runs will be scarce against Kluber especially. as he settles in so whatever scoring opportunity we have early in the game, we need to take advantage of because that 1 run could make the difference later in the game. Also playing in a NL. park may force the hand of francona to ph for Kluber whereas in an AL park, he wouldn’t have to make that decision. I expect tonight’s game to be a good old fashion pitching duel with little hitting and lots of K’s, ultimately decided by a big hit in the later innings. Look for Molina to get that big hit.

Go Cardinals.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Quite an interesting pitching match-up. Both guys are talented, but approach their craft in different ways. Kluber down-plays his talents, and goes about it more in a business-like way. He is sort of soft-spoken and not flashy; almost seems embarrassed when he is the center of attention. Martinez is a show boat, flamboyant, and displays his emotions. He likes to be the center of attention.

Neither style is better than the other – it is simply their respective personalities. What matters is results, and Kluber has accomplished quite a lot more than Martinez.

At their best, this could be a 1-0 finale. But as noted, Martinez has not been as consistent as he needs to be, and has especially struggled of late. If the trend continues, this could be an 8-1 Indian win. Let’s hope Carlos gets back on track and it ends up more like 2-1 good guys, or better.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Whats the forecast for game time tonight? The Doppler radar shows a lot of green stuff in the St. Louis area or perhaps headed that way.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I am more interested in how CMart pitches tonight over anything else. I expect Kluber to dominate, but if CMart can bounce back even if we lose I will be happy.

Participant

Free

Scattered thunderstorms are predicted for the st.Louis area throughout the evening so if that’s accurate, they might not get this game in. If that’s the case.. With both teams off on Thurs and a night game scheduled for tomorrow, they could play a day night Dh tomorrow. Tomorrow’s weather still calls for rain but mostly in the early morning.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Lineup from Danny Mac: Carpenter, Pham, Martinez, Ozuna, Molina, Munoz, Bader, Wong, C Martinez.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I would prefer Garcia in there, and maybe even Fowler…but if Kluber is on, you could have a lineup of anyone short of 8 Mike Trouts and you wouldn’t score many runs.

Participant

Free

Even when Kluber isn’t on, his line usually reads 7ip. 2 runs. 5 hits 8ks. 2 bb. That’s. an off night for him.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I only ask Carlos to pitch as well as our rookie(Gant) did last night. If I’m MM, I approach this game with my team this way…..5 minutes before the game’s first pitch I walk up individually to each of my 9 staters and with a stern face repeat the following sentiments, “Club Kluber”……”Club Kluber”.

Participant

Free

Like with most great pitchers, the best time to get them is in the first inning. Being aggressive. and swinging. at the first pitch especially In the first inning is key because Kluber will be trying to establish a rhythm early and get that first strike over. This whole working the count to get the pitch count up won’t work with Kluber. It just allows him to get into a groove faster. And he’ll get into a groove but the longer the Cardinals can delay it, the better.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Kluber gave up 4 runs two starts ago, and has given up 3 runs four times this year. That would be about the best we can hope for tonight. Ha

Participant

Free

It is my birthday today so for a birthday present from the Cardinals, I am asking for a Cardinal victory however many runs it takes..

Go Cardinals.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Happy 46th, 2011Seems!! I think I speak for all in saying it’s been a delight to have you onboard with us. Kluber or no Kluber, I don’t know how our boys could let you down tonight.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

There is a huge pile of green stuff all around the St. Louis area as I type this. According to the Doppler radar, that is.

I am expecting a big time delay. Maybe even a postponement. In the meantime I am going to search on CB Radios and see which one might be the best fit for my 2013 Ford F150 truck.

“Breaker 1-9, how about it Pugs, You got your ears on?”

r/Rat

Participant

Free

I would prefer Garcia in there, and maybe even Fowler…but if Kluber is on, you could have a lineup of anyone short of 8 Mike Trouts and you wouldn’t score many runs.

Garcia is the better fielder and can work counts. Having Munoz at SS on defense isn’t ideal in a game tonight or tomorrow where runs are at a premium and you can’t afford to give many up on the defensive end.

Fowler has no hits in 7 ab in the regular season against Kluber

Gyorko is 2-3 against Kluber.

Participant

Paid - Annual

10-4….copy that Good buddy. Ears on and powering up for some good action at the ole’ pickle park. Negatory on the Tribe having any chance of hammering Carlos tonight. Out!

Participant

Free

Thank you pugs for the birthday wish. Hopefully they’ll get this game in so the Cardinals can give me a birthday victory.

Participant

Free

Weather delay. Last nights delay helped our starter. Tonight’s will too. Anyone hear how long it may be?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Two batters into the game and Martinez is not looking good. Missing the target by wide margins, giving up a hit and walk. He needs to figure it out soon with Kluber as the opposing pitcher tonight.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Rough 1st inning for Martinez — 31 pitches and 2 runs. His body language and facial expressions remind me of a whiney little league-er. His maturity/mound presence, although never his strong suit, has taken a nose dive since returning from the DL.

Carp cuts the lead in half with a lead off HR.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 50 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years