2018 Reg Seas Game #72 – at Phillies – Wed 6/20

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #72 – at Phillies – Wed 6/20

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

oh…but he’s gonna hit after still making the play at 1b for the final out
    wow

i hoep this isnt another guy being a hero and making it worse situation

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Fowler really needed to do something besides pop out there. Not very good situational hitting by the Cards in this game.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That was a really good inning by Holland. Maybe he really was serious that he figured it out in the minors. Very sharp.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Giving up 4 runs in 9 innings isnt really that bad especially after your starter goes down with an injury

scoring 3 runs over 8 at this point isnt that bad either…especially when they have a pretty good starter

havent got the clutch big hits from anyone but Yadi so far today…still we are gonna head to the 9th with a chance for 1 swing to tie it up

might not be as exciting as the other games so far but a close game is still a thing to be desired over blowouts

and how about another impressive outing by Holland! and in a pretty stressful spot

nice work big guy!

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

How many more years are Wong and Fowler signed for? I really thought Wong was going to be the next great 2b is St Louis but it’s just not happening. Hitting under .200 this late into June should mean minors or pine.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gyorko almost smacks it out! but a 1 out double!

and wow! Herrera almost had that…

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

ColHusker…it is not great to see him struggle…but he didnt look good 2yrs ago and then put up a nice year last year.. he has always seemed streaky to me, even last year…his pendulum swings just seem to get wider though

his defense though is GG level…we carried Kozma just for defense so i see no reason to not use him for what he is good at…and we arent DFAing him and dont see how we trade him and get anything back…so you pick your spots nad play him when you can and utilize that glove

as for Fowler…this kind of drop off is weird… but he showed last year he can look bad and then get hot…hopefully it happens again…. havent seen many signs of life though

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Had Carp and Pham up with the chance to drive in the tying run…but neither comes through. The game and the series are lost and things don’t look great heading to Milwaukee.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

bummer

Pham gets his shot to extend the hit streak and tie the game…and BE the guy he says he wants to be and grounds out…

he has been so clutch lately it’s a lot to ask of him to do it every day, but he still didnt get it done…neither did CArp before him btw…but he gets a little leeway as that lefty is pretty darned good

tough series loss…BUT we were in every single game until the last pitch AND this Phils team is supposed to b a chief rival for the WC spots so losing at PHI isnt the worst thing..

losing Wacha could be tough…JMart’s injury scare i wonder if it really is ok…losing BOwman or anyone to injury is never good either

Still…HOlland looks good so far big positive…BRebbia continue to look good…Mayers found another gear for his fastball again…Yadi’s hitting has returned…Carp is still going ook…OZuna tailed off for this series but Pham picked it up a bit… and we are inching closer to a return for DeJong

plenty positive to take from this series and some troublesome concerns…and unfortunately a sweep was in our grasp but we only get 1 win…

big series in MIL next… should be fun, have a shot to get ourselves right back in the mmix for the division

GO CARDS!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Losing sucks.I suspect Gant or Poncedeleon will be called up if Wacha goes DL.If JMart is injured who rides the Memphis shuttle? O`Neill or Mercado or?
    2 good appearences by Holland and Cecil showed something today.Tuivailala gets burned.The guy has good stuff but he doesn`t seem to be able to harness it.Big lack of clutch hitting by arpenter and Pham today.I guess we will see what happens next.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont see why there isnt hope or positivity going into MIL..

we dont have to worry about the Wacha injury as it doesnt affect his spot

we played with a lot of guts in this series and didnt get blown out and had a shot in every game… MIL hasnt exactly been dominant lately in getting wins either

wont be easy, but unless JMart is out (which probably didnt help that Cubs series) i dont see why we cant be in every game against the BRewers…

and maybe just maybe our bullpen is shaping up to at least have some confidence in some roles

Norris9, Hicks8-7…then Gomber6-7…then Brebbia7-8…and Holland6-7 maybe after that…not to mention Cecil had himself a pretty nice stretch too

they may not be tearing the cover off the ball as a whole on offense
    and they may still have some warts in the pen from time to time
    and the rotation may need to compensate for some short and poor outings not to mention Wacha eventually
    and the bench when Wong and Fowler are on it is pretty uninspiring for impact pinch hits outside Garcia.

but the team is far from bad and has plenty of parts that can be impactful enough to play with anyone so far…the pen still seems a bit shaky in talent…but pens can be fickle and can go from bad to good pretty quick

I have always been a proponent that bullpens work better when roles are clearer..im not alone or original in saying that…BUT if we look at our pen’s struggles as a product of role upheaval much of it can be understood or explained a bit better

Norris and Hicks were barely part of the pen idea is ST…let alone the back end stars…new roles
    Gomber wasnt an option behind Cecil Lyons and Sherriff even…new role
    BRebbia was always towards the end of the pen..not a new role but as other major players in their roles changed so did his
    Mayers was an end of pen guy and has pitched like one…same role but more responsibility when everything else is out of whack

In terms of reliability and role in theory our pen was supposed to be:

Holland
    Gregerson
    Leone
    Lyons
    Tuivalala
    BOwman
    Cecil
    Norris
    –then
    Brebbia
    Mayers, Hicks, Sherriff etc. I dont even think Gomber was an option in theory

Now we are basically:
    Norris, Hicks, Gomber, Brebbia, Mayers, Tuivalala, Cecil, Holland in that order…
    with Holland and Cecil rising and Tuivalala falling

The only guys still in their supposed roles are? maybe Cecil being second lefty with less stress and maybe Tuivalala as 2nd to last righty but he has only really regained that role after others have stepped up and into roles

Everyone else has switched roles are are down with injuries…forcing new guys and new roles onto everyone

NOw that we have had some stability in the back end with guys stepping up…the other roles are slowly working themselves out…i dont think we are quite there yet and we have some hope in injured folks returning but things may be going better because guys are slowly figuring out a stable role once again….perhasp just in time for it all to get disrupted by returning injured folks…but hopefully those are the good kind of disruptions that come because of excellence

long i know…

anyways

GO CARDS!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Bullpen wise Norris has been a lifesaver.Hicks has been the surprise of the season .Mayers has actually pitched fairly reliable.Brebbia did okay last season and has done well this season.Gomber has shown up well several times.Tuivialala has been both good and bad.Cecil might be coming to life along with Holland.I wonder if Leone will even pitch again this year.Same with Bowman.Gregerson is still probably at least 6 weeks away and Lyons is ?.This is a potentially good bullpen.I think getting another solid reliable arm from AAA would be even better .

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mo stated the other day that he expects everyone back by end of July.

For the record, the Phillies won the game, 4-3, and the series, 2-1. St. Louis’ record is 38-34.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I was under the impression that Leone had more serious possible nerve issues.As for believing everything the FO?MO say concerning injuries and returns i am a bit skeptical.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

As of a few weeks ago, the tingling was gone, but they were waiting for evidence of the nerves starting to repair themselves before letting him throw.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Phillies are on the way up. Cards not so much.

To be fair, they only play two series per year, but four years was a long period of dominance that is now over.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

so hurt guys we have that could be of use for the pen:
    Gregerson
    Lyons
    Leone
    Bowman
    Wainwright
    Sherriff (out)
    Reyes (out)

man…if even 1 out of that mix can come back and be good that would help out a lot, 2 would be a treat

All of them have shown the ability to be effective and good valuable relievers…we dont need them all to come back and be great but with so many we can up our chances at least one or two might

I’d still feel better with a Brad Hand in there already though

Participant

Free

Tough loss today. Hopefully Wacha will be ok quickly. On to the next game and series.

Participant

Free

I would like to see Gomber get a crack in the rotation rather than Gant and Poncedeleon. Gant is a bullpen arm all the way.

This is going to be ugly.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I thought Holland has had two very good outings. Hoping he is healthy and ready to roll. I have been frustrated with him, but am pulling for his recovery and contributions. Will be a big shot in the arm if he can pitch like he did against the Phillies!

Is Cecil finally coming to life?

It will be an interesting game of musical chairs if all those arms are ready to be activated in July.

Participant

Free

If Holland is finally right, we’ll be okay.

Too many offensive pieces who are underperforming have me believing Mabry will be elsewhere next year.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I dont see why Hudson combined with Gant and Poonce or whomever can’t fill in well enough for Wacha if he is down for a bit

Hudson has been pretty darned good at AAA, he would already be in several other rotations in the league (even some pretty good ones IMO)

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years