2018 Reg Seas Game #72 – at Phillies – Wed 6/20

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #72 – at Phillies – Wed 6/20

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:05 p.m. RHP Michael Wacha (8-2, 3.24) vs. RHP Jake Arrieta (5-5, 3.33) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This is a big game for momentum heading into Milwaukee this weekend. Can Wacha put his woeful last start behind him and pitch like the guy we saw for the two months before? Can Arrieta keep getting by with his below average K rate? The Cards could easily have won the first two games…or lost the first two. A series win on the road against a team competing for the playoffs with them would be key.

I think Wacha will be up to the task, but will the offense keep scoring? Having Marp, Pham and one of Martinez or Ozuna rolling sure makes it look a lot more potent and getting Dejong back for the #5 spot would put it solidly above average IMO if those guys keep performing.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I should be able to watch the first few innings before I leave to head to the Amish restaurant down the road for my late lunch. Hopefully the offense we saw late in the game last night will return again.

I’m not sure what Arrieta’s lifetime record is against us but I do expect Wong to be back in the lineup again today.

Carpenter
    Pham
    Martinez
    Ozuna
    Molina
    Fowler
    Wong
    Munoz

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Lineup…

Carpenter 3B
    Pham CF
    Martinez 1B
    Ozuna LF
    Molina C
    Fowler RF
    Garcia SS
    Wong 2B
    Wacha SS

858booyah
    Participant

Free

I get the lefthanded lineup but Fowler man….

I hope it works and Dexter gets a hit and only strikes out on a mid nineties fastball once today.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi ties it up with a jack

After his time off he needed a little time to get back in the swing of things but he seems to be getting his timing back well. He has been raking

Yadi is an amazing baseball player, there is every reason to project his decline and replacement but he has been worth every penny of his extension so far

NJ315
    Participant

I will always be glad we didn’t sign Arrieta.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wacha in trouble in the third…two singles and Santana draws a smooth walk to load the bases with one out.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A strikeout, a grounder and Wacha escapes with a tie intact. Pitch count is high though (story of the last couple weeks, eh?)

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wacha gives up the gopher ball and the lead. 3-1 Phillies.

Are we seeing the usual Wacha regression, or a blip on the radar? Certainly it’s concerning. Lots of 2 strike problems for him.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Ouch…. right down Broadway. Down 3-1

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Out comes the trainer. Wacha is exiting with an injury.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Mayers in. Great play by Wong to end the inning.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wacha’s injury is a left oblique strain, per early reports.

14NyquisT
    Participant

If Wacha goes down some may be tempted to close up shop. What has happened to our once highly ranked rotation?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Molina with his second homer of the day ties it up!

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cecil hangs one that is banged off the wall for a one out double. I’m not sure why you use Cecil in a tie game but he has to be used eventually I suppose.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Cecil buckles down and gets out of the inning. He actually looked decent there.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

MLB debut for the Phillies pitcher. You know what this means…

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Phils bringing Davis to replace Arrieta. This is Davis’ MLB debut — not a good thing for us! I guess that’s a joke, but it seems like the truth. Garcia gets a base hit off Davis to start out his career the right way.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

nice work to come back from that double by Cecil
    no good about Wacha…i was worried about MAyers too after that comebacker

I think Hudson or Gant or Poncedeleon are probably gonna get that spot
    Gant and POnce probably getting the nod with their placement on the 40man already…but Hudson seems the most exciting

also our rotation hasntb een all that great the last couple turns…overall it is still our strength

the pen (especially GOmber and BRebbia…especially BRebbia) have really started to figure it out

and our offense despite the low overall numbers has really started to turn it around

similar thing happened last year too..rotation really helped us early whiel pen and lineup struggled….then the hitters started to hit and the rotation tailed off

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pham strikes out with two on to end the Cards 7th. He’ll need another at bat to extend his hit streak.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

I’m liking Brebbia too. His slider looks really good at times. I was hoping, and would have liked to test him in the 10th inning a couple games ago.

Tui gets blasted to give up the lead. It just seems he’ll never develop the ability to locate.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Phillies retake the lead on a crushed homer by Herrera. Every one of these games has followed the same pattern.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Herrera has been on fire…sometimes you tip your cap to a guy that is hot

now it looks like JMart is hurt…shoulder or elbow colliding with the runner receiving the throw from Carp…

out of the game…. yikes

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.