2018 Reg Seas Game #66 – vs. Padres – Wed 6/13

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #66 – vs. Padres – Wed 6/13

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Unless we think Donaldson would immediately revert back to his old self I’m not sure why we would want him. He is hitting .234 and barely been able to throw most of the season.

I’m sure his free agent value has tanked. He may have to settle for a Moustakas contract this winter.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

i dont want to touch Donaldson at all…

I do think Beltre is a legit option though…he is coming off injury but is rounding into form at 38 games and hitting over .300

he is 39 and is gone after the year…and coudl still spark the offense… plus with our rotating players he would fit right in as he would undoubtedly need some days off to stay spry at 39

I think his price wouldnt be that high for a trade…and i think the Rangers will be selling

Participant

Paid - Annual

I totally agree. I have been on the Beltre bandwagon all year. Some say he isn’t an upgrade over Gyroko but I think he is, at least for two months.

Participant

I rather have Moustakas. Beltre is a better hitter but he has played in 39 of the Rangers 70 games. Plus Moustakas is a lefty and 29. You get what you pay for. To each his own.

Participant

Free

GA

Sorry I wasn’t trying to call you out. Weaver just doesn’t do much for me as a pitcher but I agree the offense really hasn’t clicked the whole year.It should’ve given him a chance last night. Ozuna is hitting now but Pham, Munoz aren’t and Carp sits”like he should” against lefties. Its just an offense that lacks IMO a couple 90-100 rbi producers. Add Dejong would be nice but I’m still afraid we’ll see some of those lower scoring games with some of the grip and rip on this team.

I could be on board for Beltre but the dynamic of the team changes. Where do you play Carpenter if you add him? 1st? Well that creates another problem because you then either displace you most consistant offensive weapon or you have to shuffle your of mix to include him. Which mean likely Bader sits or is just a late inning defensive replacement.

I’m not saying it couldn’t work having Beltre around but someone is going to have to grab some bench in the inf.

• This reply was modified 2 years, 3 months ago by Avatar858booyah.
    stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Maybe it’s a blip, but the metrics like Marp at 3B this year so far. He’s at +6 DRS and 6.4 UZR/150. Perhaps the Cards are pressing their luck and he’ll turn back into a poor defender there, but I personally don’t see Beltre as an upgrade over the Carpenter/Gyorko combo.

Gotta say that this offense still needs that consistent guy to drive in runs. Maybe Pham picks it back up. Maybe Dejong is it. But when I looked at last night’s lineup, I saw Molina-Gyorko-Munoz-Wong-Pitcher from 5-9. That just doesn’t scare anyone and rightly is being shut down by pitchers who must be licking their chops to see that poor offense. If two or three of that first four aren’t battering the ball, the offense just cannot score runs. Beltre won’t help that. For me it’s time to trade that depth or go home. At least get a plus bat for your troubles.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I could be on board for Beltre but the dynamic of the team changes. Where do you play Carpenter if you add him? 1st? Well that creates another problem because you then either displace you most consistant offensive weapon or you have to shuffle your of mix to include him. Which mean likely Bader sits or is just a late inning defensive replacement.

Maybe it’s a blip, but the metrics like Marp at 3B this year so far. He’s at +6 DRS and 6.4 UZR/150. Perhaps the Cards are pressing their luck and he’ll turn back into a poor defender there, but I personally don’t see Beltre as an upgrade over the Carpenter/Gyorko combo.

So you guys are ruling out 3B and 1B as places to put a better bat? If so, that limits our choices. If getting a bat is that important then yes someone is going to have to sit.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So you guys are ruling out 3B and 1B as places to put a better bat? If so, that limits our choices. If getting a bat is that important then yes someone is going to have to sit.

I don’t rule it out but I’d also say that 1B and 3B are hard places to upgrade, offensively, with this roster. If you include defense Moustakas is an upgrade if you can move Carpenter to 1B but the offense isn’t gaining much then.

Machado would be a real upgrade and I’d be in favor of giving up anything outside of Reyes, Flaherty and Hicks to make it happen. Trade Gyorko and Wong and/or Martinez. A shakeup is needed.

Participant

Free

You Can’t trade Martinez as he is our best offensive guy out there

Participant

Free

If you can move Gyorko to 2B, you are upgrading the offense.

You may be downgrading the offense by trading Martinez but your defense gets much better.

Participant

Free

possible but since the Cards issue is NOT scoring runs, downgrading our offense would be dumb move.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years