2018 Reg Seas Game #66 – vs. Padres – Wed 6/13

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #66 – vs. Padres – Wed 6/13

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m. RHP Luke Weaver (3-5, 4.35) vs. LHP Eric Lauer (2-4, 6.64) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will we see Bader against the LHP again? Will we get good Luke or shaky Luke? Seems like Carpenter might be due for a day off.

I like the Cards to win this one in a bit of a higher scoring affair, 7-5.

Participant

Paid - Annual

We haven’t seen good Weaver in quite some time. His high pitch counts are preventing him from going more than 4 or 5 innings which just compounds our bullpen woes. If Reyes had not suffered another injury Weaver would have ended up in the pen or in Memphis.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Also I know we are all disappointed that we are only 4-4 in our last eight games against the three last place teams but the real goal should be just to win each series. If we can win 2 out 3 each time that is all that matters no matter who it is against. Let’s win today to win the series then take 2 out of 3 against Chicago.

Participant

Free

Guess I’ll do this again.

Norris, Tuivailala, Brebbia, Gomber, and Poncedeleon are available after having a day off.

Mayers is most likely available after an inning of work and Hicks could be available after one day of work and just 19 pitches.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Weaver has good stuff, but needs to mature and learn the art of effectively pitching within the strike zone. It is something that Mikolas and Wacha have both developed. Sometimes it takes pitchers awhile to get to that point.

For now, we have to endure the inconsistent Weaver. But maybe in a couple of years as he adds innings of experience, he will be a top tier starter.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree, bikemike. I think Weaver will be fine in the long run but like Wacha, may have some growing pains getting there. The nice thing is that the Cards have a lot of starting pitching depth to back him up if needed.

I will also add that they showed a graphic during one of his recent starts and he had the most strikeouts in his first 150 IP of any Cardinals starter ever. So…he has something to work off.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Participant

Paid - Annual

What is up with Luke Voit? I read where he got demoted to Springfield.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

On a good note, I suppose, the Brewers down the Cubs 1-0 this afternoon.

Anybody see the rundown play last night when the Cubs had Yelich trapped between 2nd and 3rd and what Cain did? When that happened I said outloud to myself…..”Now there’s the Cubs that we all know and love!”

r/Rat

Participant

Paid - Monthly

What is up with Luke Voit? I read where he got demoted to Springfield.

I am just guessing but there may be a personal aspect to this. I believe Luke’s family lives in Springfield.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Jose Martinez is expected to go on paternity leave this weekend and Voit will be back with the club on Friday. Memphis is playing in Albuquerque, New Mexico so that’s why he was sent to Springfield.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 7 months ago by AvatarDerek Shore.
    Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Rough first inning for the Cards, they trail 2-0. Weaver’s control was lacking and gave up a couple hits. Cards also got a couple hits, but Bader getting picked off pretty much killed the inning.

Participant

Free

Even with Weaver struggling, if that is your #5 starter your pitching staff is in pretty good shape

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

After 3, Cards still trail 2-0. This is starting to show the makings of a frustrating game. Lauer has been pretty much pummeled all season, but hasn’t allowed a base runner past first base in the first 3 innings tonight. Cards need to come to life soon.

Participant

Free

This is tough to watch entering the stretch of games we have to play before the all star break. Let’s turn it around in the bottom half

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The fact this offense can’t do anything against a pitcher with an ERA over 6 is just pitiful. I’m turning this shitshow off and watching Memphis.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards didn’t show up tonight…until now. Ozuna hits one out to the CF grass bank, a 2-run shot. Otherwise, they’ve looked pathetic. Score is now 4-2. Maybe this will get them going.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not a good look, although the Padres have been playing a lot better lately. Maybe they need to play tough teams to win series. Going to need a comeback in the ninth to avoid the series loss.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

Just another bad loss. So much for making up ground playing the bottom three teams in their division. Something has to change or this team is going to sink quickly.

Participant

Free

You can’t lose series to Florida and San Diego at home. Those are unacceptable losses.

And I don’t care how good Luke Weaver is as your 5th starter. He’s not even Jeff Suppan average. Luke 5 inning Weaver is going to let you down with a series on the line more often than not.

I don’t have a good feeling about this series at home against Chicago. This team already struggles to put runs on the board most nights. Losing Martinez is bad news bears. However at least the infield defense should be better. I say Carlos gets his groove back but we struggle to score runs and escape with 1 win.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Not much good vibe with the team right now besides Ozuna.

Weaver struggles once again. It might be time to give someone else a chance. Gant? Ponce?

Oh and of course our best hitter has to miss the Cub series. That sounds about right.

Participant

Free

Pretty pathetic 9 game streak here against last place teams in their division for the Birds.

Participant

Free

My comment about Weaver was more to elude to how bad this offense is. The guy they faced last night had an ERA close to 7. Once again a terrible pitcher stifles this lineup. Our problem against sub-500 teams is offense not defense

Participant

Free

Frustrating game indeed.

I don’t know what they should do going forward. Donaldson comes to mind as the most logical “JD Martinez-like” player that would be available out there. He’s not having a good year so perhaps he can be obtained for little-to-nothing as well.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years