2018 Reg Seas Game #59 – vs. Marlins – Wed 6/6

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #59 – vs. Marlins – Wed 6/6

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    GACard
    Participant

Free

Would have been a feel good story but dfa the guy and wish him the best

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free
    GACard
    Participant

Free

Honestly DFA everyone but hicks Norris and tui (that excludes shuttle guys like gomber, Gant, mayers, etc.). Give Gregerson and holland a chance for DL rehab but short leash

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Just looked and the three pitchers used have thrown 147 pitches so far tonight through 7. Yikes

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

First off Guilmet was not signed as anything more than a depth minor league signing. He was a lottery ticket at best.

Guilmet earned his call up yesterday. Now he hasn’t shown up in his 2opportinities. He wouldn’t be the first guy who earned a chance at the MLB level who doesn’t do well immediately and he won’t be the last.

I don’t like his performances so far. But how do you not call him up and give him a shot with our bullpen issues and the guys stats at AAA?

Not all moves work. And two outings doesn’t define a career often

Team’s poor play from last night bled into today.

Yucky baseball.

I’ll give them tonight. With the adds distractions of losing Reyes and then all of us and them losing Red I am willing to look past whatever happens tonight.

But that’s it.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

I think they need to start sending a message.

Fire Mabry (they won’t fire Matheny).

Fowler and JMart ride pine, because they can’t play defense. JMart is your designated pinch hitter.

Carp only plays 1B. Gyorko plays 3B. If Wong can’t hit, replace him with Garcia.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Also. We don’t have to DFA anyone at this point. Sherriff to 60 day and Reyes back to the 60 day gives us 2 spots without having to lose anyone.

You don’t throw away anyone you don’t have to until you absolutely need to

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m looking for Helsely to get the call soon. Maybe Greene too.

Bring back Gant or Mayer’s and send Guillet back down.

We also have Bowman coming back soon.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

On a good note the Brewers lost to Cleveland 3-1 and the Cubs are behind 5-3 in the last of the 9th to the Phillies.

And I see where our old buddy Jon Jay got traded to Arizona today.

r/Rat

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Great play by Gyorko.

GACard
    Participant

Free

Jager
    I’m not saying he’s a disappointment. I’m glad we gave him a shot and I thought I conveyed that. He was so impressive at triple A and I hope it still does work out. But off the stuff he’s shown, on top of results and past history in the majors, I don’t think it’ll work. I thought it was a GREAT move to give him a try but with our pen in flux we can’t have another guy we need to use in low leverage situations to see if he can figure it out

My thoughts aren’t off this series alone on the team as a whole. It’s the culmination of this series and the 4 combined games with the twins + a split with the padres

Maybe I’m giving Guilmet unfair judgement but the frustration is real and he doesn’t appear to be part of the answer

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Voit follows Jedd’s nice play up with one of his own.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Guilmet is you typical AAAA player. I wanted him to be given a shot. I was behind the move. After 2 games I’m done.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Jager, agree with you. Mr. Schoendienst passing and losing Reyes gives them a pass for one game, but no more. And actually, the best way to honor them would have been to win, but that’s another story.

J-Mart is a lost cause at 1B, and Fowler is just lost. One can’t play his position and the other just won’t to the level he’s capable. As far as Mabry is concerned, whether he is the prime factor in the offense’s under-performance (which I personally believe he is and have been questioning since last season), firing him would send a strong message to the team that it’s time to right the ship.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

That was a really bad day. I’m gonna put it behind in my mind because there were a lot of big, bad things happening. Mikolas can hopefully get us rolling in the right direction.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

Good take on Guilmet Jags

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

JMart is now -0.1 rWAR and 0.6 fWAR. It’s June 7. Time to trade him or use him off the bench. Has anyone else abandoned JMart is our 1B ship?

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

offense is bad and if we sit one of our better hitters how bad does it get then

colhusker
    Participant

Free

JMart is now -0.1 rWAR and 0.6 fWAR. It’s June 7. Time to trade him or use him off the bench. Has anyone else abandoned JMart is our 1B ship?

He has shown he can hit at the major league level. Hopefully the front office is at least talking to a American League team about a trade. Problem is, as mentioned above, he is one of the few guys hitting day in and day out. Take him out of the lineup and wow.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Bad day all around. We have to legitimately question whether or not Reyes will ever live up to the hype. The guy just cannot stay healthy.

You know the modern game has become a joke when your third baseman pitches an inning, and the game is not an extra inning affair. This whole BS of having 13 pitchers, and you still use a position player is ridiculous.

Flaherty is starting to get knocked around. There is a lot of talk about Mabry, but our bullpen is awful, and if we do not get a strong start we are in trouble.

When will the nonsense with Brett Cecil end? Time to cut bait on him – past time in fact. I think management has learned their lesson at this point – no more multi-year free agent deals to bullpen pitchers. The “save” stat is way over-rated; it’s too easy to get a save and does not contribute to wins as much as it is thought given the stat. Also, left-right match-ups are not as big of an advantage as managers tend to think.

We would be better off without the dead weight in the bullpen, and have the younger guys work, although you will still have some rough spots like Guilmet when you go that route. But at least you are not watching $14 million go down the drain.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Not much went right last night. The Cardinals played one of their ugliest games of the year and the Cubs win on a 9th inning two out two strike grand slam by Heyward. Ugh….

I’m not sure what to do with our team. I mean our overall record still isn’t bad. We are only 3 1/2 out of the division and 2 1/2 out of the wild card but to lose to one of the worst teams in the league is very disappointing. We were all looking forward to this run of Marlins, Reds, and Padres. Maybe win 6 or 7 out of 9 and we would be knocking on the door of the division lead. And don’t forget we had a miserable series against the lowly Royals too. I don’t get it.

I know our offense and defense are very shaky but to me our biggest hurdle right now is the bullpen. I don’t think it hyperbole to say that we have the worst bullpen in the NL. It is outrageously bad!!!! Other than Hicks and Norris there is no one down there who is untouchable. If it were me I would release Cecil immediately. I don’t care how much money he is owed. The time for saving face is over. Gregerson looks like wasted money too. They can keep on the DL the rest of the year if they want to but he doesn’t need to be on the mound. As soon as Bowman is off the DL he should be on a way ticket to Memphis. I have zero confidence in Lyons. I don’t know what has happened to him. Assuming he has no options he can hit the DFA pile as far as I’m concerned. Leone can stay on the DL the rest of the year. He has been terrible. The Guilmet experiment should be over as he should be sent back to Memphis or released. I would probably give Gomber another chance as he seems to have some potential. I would keep Tui and Brebbia around as they seem to have decent outings most of the time. Maybe bring Mayers back up. I don’t know what to do with Holland. If he has some good appearances on his rehab you might give him another shot. If not then release him. Obviously Hicks and Norris need to stay. Other than that all we can do is keep giving guys from Memphis and Springfield a shot and start looking at trade options.

As for the offense I think we are stuck with what we have unless something happens with a trade. As for benching Fowler and Wong remember this: Bader and Gyroko have proven that they can’t hit RH pitching on a consistent basis. They are really platoon players. We have a lot of platoon players but we have enough to cobble together to get by with if we can solve our bullpen issues.

I’m exhausted.

PadsFS
    Participant

BlackHillsCard

Guilmet is you typical AAAA player. I wanted him to be given a shot. I was behind the move. After 2 games I’m done.

I’m right there with you. Sad turn of events.

PadsFS
    Participant

colhusker

He has shown he can hit at the major league level. Hopefully the front office is at least talking to a American League team about a trade. Problem is, as mentioned above, he is one of the few guys hitting day in and day out. Take him out of the lineup and wow.

I think he would be fine as a pinch hitter. That’s the only role I can see him in. His glove gives back any runs his bat produces unless he’s up around 1.000 OPS.

Cardinals2016
    Participant

Free

As for benching Fowler and Wong remember this: Bader and Gyroko have proven that they can’t hit RH pitching on a consistent basis.

Gyorko has a .747 OPS against righties over the last three years versus Wong’s .612 versus lefties…

I mean, Gyorko’s .747 OPS against righties is actually pretty close to Wong’s .761 against righties…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

About three weeks ago Gyroko was hitting around .340. After regular playing time he is now hitting .268.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.