2018 Reg Seas Game #52 – at Brewers – Tue 5/29

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #52 – at Brewers – Tue 5/29

This topic contains 56 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by Avatar NJ315 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:40 p.m. Michael Wacha (5-1, 2.88) vs. RHP Zach Davies (2-4, 4.74) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I don’t know about the rest of you posters but every time Jose Martinez takes the field to play 1stbase I cringe. He’s an accident waiting to happen. He has no skills at all to play 1stbase. If you don’t hit him in the chest with the throw or the grounder doesn’t go right to him its time to panic. Carpenter is pretty much in the same boat as well.

We don’t have a 1stbaseman and a shortstop. Two of the most important defensive positions and it rears its ugly head every now and then. And I don’t consider DeJong a shortstop either.

r/Rat

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Carpenter is an above average defensive 1B. So not at all in the same boat as Martinez, who really should be a DH in the AL, or a late inning pinch hitter.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yep stlcard25, Jose belongs DHing for some lucky team. As much as I like his bat, the man has to go….to the AL. The thing that gets me is that the Cardinals had to have known the full scope of his defensive ineptness for a long time. This man is no bumbling uncoordinated clown. Tell me that he could not have been transformed into at least an adequate 1st baseman during his time in the minors. This is the kind of stuff you see in the Padres organization….not in the sport’s second greatest franchise’s.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

wow anybody else see that dirty slide by RIzzo today…what a joke then his clown of a manager supports it as a great slide what a joke..hope MLB finally hammers him for his garbage slides at home.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Carpenter is an above average MLB 1stbaseman?????

SERIOUSLY????

Don’t tell me, let me guess, there is some W9B or ZRU or BP1BO metric that says that, right?

All you have to do is use your eyes and you can see how bad he is. That was obvious last year too. And if you cant see it, then you simply don’t know baseball.

r/Rat

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Onyxgem,
    When I saw the replay I thought it was okay. But once you see the right angle he was about a foot in front of homeplate and clearly going after the catcher. Granted he could still touch the plate with his right hand but to slide into a defenseless catcher like that is total horsesh~t.

Wait and see in the game tomorrow night. Duck Rizzo. You deserve what you have coming.

r/Rat

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

He even started running on the outside of the base path and then went way inside to take out a defenseless catcher, how the umps called it legal slide is beyond me it was as dirty as they come and per the rules was illegal to.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

I guess the kicker (no pun intended) here is that he could still touch Homeplate. Like the runner breaking up a doubleplay at 2ndbase, as long as he can touch the bag its deemed okay.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

That could have been a career ending injury for the Pirate catcher right there.

Again, all I can say is….”DUCK RIZZO!”

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Rizzo was really nowhere near home plate and he went completely out of his way to intentionally try to hurt a player for the 2nd time in less than a year, if the MLB does nothing this time it just shows they are huge cub homers who won’t do anything to hurt that team no matter how DIRTY they are!

14NyquisT
    Participant

Paid - Annual

From VEB concerning Fowler:

a decision on whether he should go on the disabled list is expected Tuesday. The Cardinals don’t want to let a short bench linger through this week if Fowler is going to be limited, and they also need a spot Wednesday on the active roster for starter Alex Reyes.

Hasn’t he been limited all season?

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

there should be a suspension coming for that slide by Rizzo…

i like the idea of him getting plunked…but maybe EVERY catcher on every team should call for it in there next game against him

If i was Contreras i might be a little worried about the danger Rizzo is potentially putting him in too

NJ315
    Participant

They should suspend Rizzo. Hitting him on purpose multiple times?? I know it is all about retaliation in baseball but that’s just stupid. I guess the answer will always be hit Rizzo and if he gets hurt he had it coming. As far as Contreras goes if someone decides to go after him because what Rizzo did then that player needs to be suspended.

CariocaCardinal
    Participant

Paid - Monthly

I am usually opposed to retaliation but this seems so blatent and without contrition it is changing my opinion. What really needs to happen is that teams other than the Pirates also need to show their disgust with this behaviour by not being so careful when Rizzo is at the plate.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Since chickehSh*t Rizzo tried to take out the catchers knees then it should be fair game for Pitchers to aim for Rizzos knees.You cant play if you can`t walk or run.Nail him at least once a game for 3 or 4 games.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Martinez stinks defensively period.The man is a natural DH-he needs to be traded for a player who can play defense also at least adequately.As ffor DeJong not being a SS…are you out of your mind? DeJong is more than adequate at SS.He is not Ozzie Smith but he isn`t Toby Harrah either.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The Pirates of all teams don’t take kindly to garbage like that. There could be several Cubbies take one in the ribs or higher tonight.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As for JMart the Cardinals have decided that having a .300 hitter making the league minimum is too good to pass up so they will keep him and hope Oquendo can work his magic.

I would think he could be packaged to an AL team for a nice return but as bad as our lineup is it is difficult to remove a .300 hitter.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Avatar gscottar.
    bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Rizzo’s slide definitely was uncalled for. It will be interesting to see the repercussions of that incident.

First base is the only place for Martinez to play, despite his defensive shortcomings. This club needs his bat. But I would be playing and Carpenter-Gyorko combination at first and third more often than Matheny has, and have Martinez available as a pinch-hitter.

The Cardinals are particularly hampered by the NL “pitcher bats” game this season, as they would get a nice boost if Martinez could DH. The entire National League suffers from not using the DH, as the league essentially plays the AL game, where you have 13 pitchers and play a lot of match-up and “one inning only” bullpen as the norm. Yet they also have the pitcher bat, so you pinch hit for the pitcher now and then despite a short bench.

Ideally, you either go with 11 or 12 pitchers in the NL, and use them like they did in the ’70s and ’80s where it is common for your closer to pitch 100 innings or more, or you play it the way everyone does today and use the DH. The other option would be to have the current NL rules, but expand the roster size to 26 or 27, but not allow more than 13 pitchers to be on the active roster.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This comment was made after Cecil’s inning of work yesterday.

https://twitter.com/hochman/status/1001203088261345280

858booyah
    Participant

Free

The Holland signing was a headscratcher for me. The timing was just like “wtf did this come from.”

Martinez best bad position IMO is LF.

Carpenter best position is 1st. Where he’s servicable and his arm is less of a liability.

We really just need to keep our heads above water until Yadi and Dejong come back. Hopefully in 4 weeks.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree, 858…just gotta keep it together until the lineup is whole again. Thankfully, after this weekend’s series against the Pirates (who are punching way above their weight this year as a probably low 70s win true talent team) there are 9 games against Miami, Cincinnati and San Diego before the schedule turns tough again. Hopefully we can see the light on both those guys coming back by then.

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Maddon is taking defending his guys to a higher level of delusion.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 57 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years