2018 Reg Seas Game #50 – at Bucs – Sun 5/27

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #50 – at Bucs – Sun 5/27

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Paid - Annual

So what`s that make Pham?Since he has a career K rate nearly 30% and a May K rate of nearly 40%.Judging a player on 30 plus ABs is rather premature and just ridiculous.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

O’Neil seems like Grichuk part 2 as his strike zone awareness is a joke

That seems to be a common thing with the Cardinals, and with baseball in general these days. There are so many pitches well out of the zone that players hack at, it is no wonder strikeouts have exploded over the last few years.

It’s not like guys are missing more pitches in the zone, at least it seems that way. There seems to be a general lack of strike zone awareness. Now I will say that there are also a lot of hittable balls that players cannot seem to square up. Most every AB has a pitch to hit, and often a guy lets it go, or fouls it off. I think it was Pham’s first AB yesterday, he got a 2-1 pitch that was a good one to put in play, but he fouled it back, then flailed at a pitch low and away.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m far from an expert, as all of you long time Birdhouse/Cardinal Nationers know, but O’Neill strikes me as a batter who is much more in sync at the plate than Grichuk. I think the kid is going to be a pretty consistent hitter as soon as the back-n-forth adjustments simmer down a bit. Even though DeJong and Jose Martinez hold great promise, our organization, post Kissell, really hasn’t produced a barrage of decent offensive threats….to say the least.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I deont like to knock Coaches because i dont feel us fans know enough about what goes on behind the scenes and how said Coaches can have a effect on hitters .That said it would seem like under Mabry the Cards hitters have not improved and in fact seemed to gotten worse concerning contact skills and plate awareness.I dont pretend to know why its happening but baseball has changed with the hitting approach over the last couple of decades.Ifeel a team should have a mix of some guys who can steal somes bases,some guys who are solid consistent contact guys who get get some XBHs and some guys who are power bats with the ability to hit the Homerun and extra base hits.A mix of those groups should be a solid formula to win.Right now the Cards dont have a real basestealing gamechanger or a consistent contact guys with XBH pop.Maybe this years draft Cards will select some guys with some pop and good contact skills.

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years