2018 Reg Seas Game #48 – at Bucs – Fri 5/25

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #48 – at Bucs – Fri 5/25

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The Cards lose 8-1 to fall to 26-22 for the season. It is their third consecutive loss.

Participant

Free

Another sweep on the Horizon. Next 2 pitcher were stretched big time last start out. Not good!

They’ll be 27-26 at the end of the month. Just like they’ve played since Molina went out and like this pathetic offense has produced.

Participant

Free

Not good. The rotation might be great soon but once again no production. Can’t put that much pressure on pitchers. Sadly at this point in the season (or sine 2016) it’s just reality. Any other organization would shake things up since it’s been the same for several years. Manager, players or anything. Instead we get to watch this. There is just no sense of urgency or will from the veterans and they are just stuck in the middle of the pack. Hope I’m wrong but it’s been the same thing the last couple years with only a few glimmers of hope. It looks like they get a momentum swing and then they blow it and play terrible baseball. At a certain point something has to go a different direction. I don’t post much but this is just so disappointing to see. It’s just 83 wins and hope for better next year, every year. Decent prospects who are overvalued (not all but many) and no progress. I really thought ozuna would change the whole lineup. Instead we have hitters setting records for the worst starts to a season by top of the order hitters. Sweep the cubs and get swept by the twins. The winning mentality just doesn’t seem to be there anymore. It’s not even fun to watch sadly (yet I tune in every night hoping it will be). When so many players underperform at the plate and on the field I feel that some type of culture shock is necessary. You could give a team with a .450 winning percentage this type of pitching and they would contend.

This might be a brash reaction to a slump but this tends to be the standard every season no matter who is on the team. It’s just become a pattern.

You pull up Tyler O’Neill and he’s done great. But at the end of the day you can’t put him at cleanup and expect amazing results. He could be great and I hope so but you just can’t force someone from triple A right into a key spot and expect results every night (every year). When so many players underperform it can’t just be the players. If it is you still need to try to shake things up

I’ve rambled enough and there are definitely holes in my post (and no numbers). But it’s so frustrating to watch. This team should be so much better and this fan base deserves so much more. You have to either try to get better now or try to get better in the long term, not just sit here and do nothing constantly (front office) and disappoint. I’m not advocating tanking or going all in for a manny Machado (but hopefully we at least give it a shot in free agency). I just want to see something change to inject some life into the team and franchise as a whole again

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nicely said, GACard! You need to post more often….especially on our sometimes wildly amusing sometimes extremely dull game threads. Look at Boston. They pulled the trigger on eating about 15 Mil on Hanley Ramirez’ contract by showing him the door. I’d kill to have his numbers this year over Fowler’s and yet Fowler is still being showcased by our Birds….heck, he even hits leadoff at times. William Dexter Fowler….. can picture his statue being erected now!

Participant

Paid - Annual

When so many players underperform it can’t just be the players.

GACard…. I sense your frustration with the team, especially the boring notion. This club has been boring for over two seasons. If you are a fan of a team you have to expect disappointment at times, but this has lingered in St.Louis for too long. It has been the FO that has made bad moves bringing in guys that were supposed to provide the team with what it needed… well we still have the same needs and some very underachieving players. The ones brought in have lost too much value to be able to trade them.

Carpenter has been painful to watch, but is coming around bit by bit. I’ve mentioned this before but the squad is being carried by two older late bloomers Pham and JoMartinez. We’ve had our share of injuries CMart, Molina and DeJong. Half of the bullpen seems to be on the DL on a rotating basis and the vets brought in are not getting it done and the Memphis express isn’t either. This makes for fan frustration.

The rotation has been solid and its getting better with Flaherty replacing Wainwright, Reyes should provide a shot in the arm also. And when Martinez comes back it will one of the best in MLB, especially in depth.

As to the quote above… I’m not sure what you are trying to get at. Are slumps contagious? In the case of the ’18 Cardinals, I think that is a valid question. And the tail is wagging the dog more and more everyday. No one is willing to face up to it and nothing is being done about it. Its just going to get worse and that’s why expectations should be reevaluated. This team just has too many holes in it. Get a jug of something 100 proof to get you through the season… its going to be rough sailing.

There will be some younger guys that could made the team more exciting (if given the chance). So far we’ve been seeing players that can’t hit their weight, clogging things up.

Just keeping it real.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Any other organization would shake things up since it’s been the same for several years.

I am not too upset with the front office. They did pull the trigger on the deal for Ozuna, and I still think he will come around and hit somewhere close to his career norms. They also looked ahead some and acquired O’Neill, although Marco pitched a great game the other night throwing something like 7+ innings of shutout ball. In addition, both Molina and DeJong are missing significant time.

The issues with Carpenter and fowler are concerning, and Matheny’s goofy lineups sometimes irk me. The Holland signing was ill-advised, although the bullpen has been a concern since day one. But this club definitely can be a lot better, and should be if everyone is reasonably healthy.

Still tough to go through the struggles. But it’s a marathon. We’ll see how this thing unfolds over the next couple of months.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

…and one more comment on the front office, they also had a deal in place to acquire Stanton, but as we all know Stanton said “Thanks, but no thanks” to St. Louis.

Participant

Free

Yeah and there are many factors contributing outside of the front office and obviously aspects to pick apart in my post game emotional post. It just seems that this lineup (not team) needs a severe shakeup instead of just an addition or subtraction. Or maybe it’s the hitting coach. The approach at the plate just appears to be different from what I watch with successful teams. Whether that is hitting coach or player related, I don’t know. It’s just frustrating to watch excellent starting pitching get wasted on such a frequent basis

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Point of reference.

Last June 9 when Chris Maloney was replaced and Jhonny Peralta was DFAed, the Cards were 26-32, in fourth place, 4.5 games back.

Currently, they are 26-22, in fourth place, four games back.

Viewing 9 posts - 26 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years