2018 Reg Seas Game #48 – at Bucs – Fri 5/25

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #48 – at Bucs – Fri 5/25

This topic contains 33 replies, has 14 voices, and was last updated by Brian Walton Brian Walton 1 year, 5 months ago.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

6:05 pm Pittsburgh Pirates RHP John Gant (1-1, 4.67) vs. RHP Joe Musgrove (2018 debut) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

2018 debut?? Welp, we all know how this one is gonna turn out.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Haha stlcard25. It’s got to be better than facing Gerrit Cole. But then again, we seem to do better against guys like Cole and Kershaw than this guy.

In four MiLB (A, AA and AAA) rehab starts this year, Musgrove was 1-2 / 4.58 ERA.

In his two MLB seasons with the Astros, he has pitched in 49 games and started 25. He was 11-12 / 4.52 ERA. He did win the incredible Game 5 of the WS last year by pitching a scoreless 10th.

bicyclemike
    bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Yeah, we may as well chalk this one up in the loss column. I predict a 6-1 win by the Pirates, and am hoping we can get the Saturday and Sunday games to take the series.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Gant is good enough to keep us in the game. As usual it will come down to our offense and bullpen. Both are shaky to say the least.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I think this one sees hitting on both sides…punch out… and my optimism and card carrying fan of the Cardinals cant make me bet against them ever and only hope for the best for them so how do you ever think or want to even think they will lose?…so i say 6-5 nail biter going the Cardinals way!

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

It’s really not a stretch to think the Cards might lose at PNC Park. Cards haven’t done well there going back to last season, losing 9 of the last 13. Hope they step up and play good baseball there for a change.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

StlCard, you are correct. Our team seems to struggle against debut pitchers which I’ve remarked before is due to poor scouting. Will watch closely tonight but wouldn’t be surprised if our guys look lost at the plate thru 2-3 rotations. It’s a trend. Does anyone have the lineup yet?

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Is it just me or does Francisco Cervelli have the most punchable face in baseball? He needs to stay in the damn box.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Gant looking good through the 3rd, but so is Musgrove. Cards have made some good contact, but nothing to show for it. Score 0-0.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

After 4, score still 0-0. Gant looking very good.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Wong fails with the bat again. Can’t bring in Fowler from 3rd with one out. Strikes out on a bad pitch. Now up to Gant. If you’re pitcher on this team, it really helps to drive in your own runs if you want to win, but Gant just strikes out as I’m typing.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Gant still dealing and overcomes Fowler and Wong whiffing on a foul ball. Scoreless through 5. Gant is at 66 pitches.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Cards have failed to do what AAA, AA, and A MiLB teams have done recently…..score a run off Musgrove before the end of the 6th. But then again, those teams weren’t counting on Wong to bring a runner in from 3rd with one out.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Musgrove is a real Card killer tonight. Mowing batters down left and right from the mound, he now scores the first run of the game after hitting a single, then sprinting home on a double by Harrison.

Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Gant gone, Cecil in. He’s throwing gas on the fire, allowing two different batters to drive in runs in his first three pitches. Cards now trail 3-0 after six. Stick a fork in this one.

How much longer are the Cards going to pretend Wong is a major leaguer?

BlackHillsCard
    BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This is not a playoff team. We will have the best rotation in MLB but a Double A offense.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Defense, hitting, relief pitching all pathetic again. Otherwise our team is playing great. Wong gets lucky about every 40 at bats, which MM thinks is good enough. Agree Wong is a minor league talent. Was hoping to start the weekend off with a win, but no such luck. Pirates 4, Cards 0 on the season.

Ratsbuddy
    Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

This team is a mess. They will get swept by the Pirates – AGAIN!

I’ve almost reached the point where I think its time to tear this team down and start a rebuild. Just sickens me to see EVERY player swing like a maniac just so they can get a few more dollars one of these days. Geez, how about just trying to put the ball in play???

r/Rat

TexasCard
    Participant

Free

“I think this one sees hitting on both side”…

You were half right. You forgot the Cardinals have long since decided offense was optional and on most nights not a requirement. At some point the hitting coach may actually lose his job, and oh before I forget maybe, just maybe they may invest in a scouting department that actually scouts the minors leagues of their division opponents so they have a clue against the first time newbies pitching like Cy Young against them. It’s just ridiculous this happens damn near every time.

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Avatar TexasCard.
    Euro Dandy
    Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Holland getting ripped again, in the 8th but down big this time. With that defensive effort by Ozuna in LF, the Cards aren’t just bad…they are embarrassing themselves.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Can we get Ozuna’s gold glove back? Terrible play in left. Holland back to back triples. Embarrassing. This team owes us all an apology.

stlcard25
    stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

This team would have a better record if they faced Kershaw, Verlander and Sale every series than if they faced some no name callup from AAA. The book has to be out on this offense…just bring a guy up and let him throw 6+ shutout innings against St Louis.

thejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Man. Missed on my prediction! I knew there was a reason I don’t try to do that! Probably jinxed em! :p

Still. Gant looked pretty impressive. I think his stuff works pretty darned well once or twice through as seen tonight. And that bodes well for us moving him to the pen to help out where we obviously need it.

Reyes to the rotation and Gant and his stuff to the pen might help more than I thought!

Still won’t matter much if we can’t get some runs though as we all have said it seems.

Yadi and DeJong beingnout doesn’t help but I think Yadis ability to just make contact with his hits is what we really are lacking.

Not sure there is much to do at this point though. All we can do is hope the guys figure it out soon. Outside probably multiple trades I do t think we can expect much change.

And Holland… yikes. Tonight was about as low pressure as possible for him and he still couldn’t get it going. I’d hate to give up on the guy with his track record and the money invested. But she is playing so poor something has to change. And I do t know what that is outside a DL trip for fatigue or mental break

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and their minor league system for 20 years