2018 Reg Seas Game #29 – vs. White Sox – Wed 5/2

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #29 – vs. White Sox – Wed 5/2

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

This lineup needs to get it’s head of of it’s rear. Really just skated by with 2 wins against one of the worst team in baseball. Defense and baserunning have been piss poor as well.

And yes we all know there’s no accountability for blunders like Pham made today. It’s the buddy system Matheny likes in the clubhouse with no ruffling of feathers. Beside’s he’s likely afraid that Pham will drop F bombs like Hiroshima.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Matheny’s first priority is ‘protecting his players’. That’s a noble cause and you can’t argue with it. The trouble is that if he doesn’t stop telling his pitchers ‘Its okay to pitch up in the zone’, then feeding them the BS about ‘launch angles’ and ‘lift’, he’s going to ruin some of them. I’m speaking specifically about Leone. Leone, like Weaver, needs to get the ball down in the zone. All anybody has to do is look at how Norris it getting his outs. Also, what about Dave Duncan? Do Matheny, and Maddux, think Dave Duncan was a fool, and that his unparalleled success with pitchers was luck? I’m not an advocate of firing Matheny because I’m not convinced that the next manager would be better. But I sure wish he would figure out what it takes for players to become better at playing baseball. It has to do with understanding, and discipline, and mostly practice, and not natural talent only.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

My simple take is that one size does not fit all players and all situations. Not every pitcher can throw effectively up in the zone and some of the ones who can, are not as able to do it as often as some others. Also, some hitters are more vulnerable to those offerings than others.

My hope is that Maddox tailors his recommendations to his pitchers’ strengths, Molina calls the games accordingly and the pitchers execute their plan.

P.S. I cannot be specific about Leone, as I did not see him in Toronto to gauge if he has changed as a Cardinal. Regarding Weaver, I would find it very odd if he was asked to change his approach for the last three starts only after dominating all spring and in his first three starts of the regular season. But the pitching coach surely has a role in helping him make the necessary adjustments to get back on track after three sub-par outings in a row.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I completely agree that one size does not fit all players. OTOH, I don’t see how anybody can go wrong by pitching down in the zone. I’m not claiming to be an expert, or even smart, for that matter. But I know what I see, and IMHO, Weaver and Leone, to name two, had better start getting the ball down. Neither of them have overpowering stuff. But they both have good enough stuff to make lots and lots of money playing baseball. With the kind of control that Weaver has, there’s absolutely no reason why he can’t spend more time down in the zone.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

IMO, Bud Norris is the MVP of this team thus far.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

There was a proposal by MLB to raise the lower level of the strike zone by two inches. While I don’t think it went into effect, it was based on data that showed umpires had been calling more and more pitches out of the zone low as strikes. Part of pitching up could be a reaction to a tighter zone low.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.