2018 Reg Seas Game #29 – vs. White Sox – Wed 5/2

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #29 – vs. White Sox – Wed 5/2

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:15 p.m. RHP Carlos Martínez (2-1, 1.43) vs. RHP Lucas Giolito (1-3, 7.71) FOX Sports Midwest/KMOX

Another day off coming Thursday…

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Need to get the win today before the other Chicago team comes in.

For the life of me I can’t figure out why Gyroko is not playing everyday at 3B. He has a good glove and some consistent pop in the bat. Carp, JMart, and Fowler can do a timeshare between 1B and RF.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I don’t get that either, gscottar, and have always lobbied for Gyorko to be the regular third baseman. The league is catching up some to Martinez, and he probably needs to take a day off here and there. Carpenter might be ready to go on a hot streak, with those two late ABs last night.

I look for Carpenter to get a couple of starts at first base coming up.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

…and of course I am wrong on the lineup. Today’s lineup just came across on my cell phone app, and Carpenter is at third, and Martinez at first again. It’s the exact same lineup as last night in fact.

Maybe Matheny is taking my constant barrage of comments about lineup stability to heart.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Will anyone amongst us be terribly shocked if Cy Giolito tosses the game of his life this afternoon?

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Pugs is like the Cardinals Sage…speaking all kinds of truth.

Giolito came into the game with an ERA of 7.71 in 5 games for 25.2 innings (not a small sample size) and has managed to shut the Cardinals completely down for 1 hit. 1 freaking hit!!!

When does Mabry get fired?!

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Wow, Giolito mowing the Cards down like dominoes in a scoreless pitcher’s duel in the 6th . . . until Martinez hits a HR . . . and that would be Carlos Martinez.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Carlos Martinez just hits a homerun. He’s pitching his heart out and now providing his own offense. Meanwhile the rest of the offense has taken the day off.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Before today’s game, Cy Giolito had struck out 6 batters in his last three starts combined (14 IP).

Through 6 innings today, he has 7 strikeouts

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

And Renteria stays with Giolito one batter too long. Fowler hits career number 100 with Yadi on. Cards up 3-0 bottom of the 7th.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Martinez leaves the 8th with one out and Leone comes in. He promptly walks the first batter to bring the tying run to the plate. Runners on 1st and 3rd with one out. Time to get nervous.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

And just like that, Leone has turned what appeared to be a safe Cards lead into a slim 3-2 advantage. Still in the 8th with 2 outs and Norris coming in for a 4-out save situation with a runner on first. Martinez was at 99 pitches when Matheny brought in Leone.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Norris with a big K to strand the tying run in the 8th. More insurance would be nice since we burned the previous insurance provided by Fowler.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

More little league base running, this time by Pham, kills the 8th. But, that just get us more quickly to the good part. Norris, our seemingly one reliable pen piece, is now ready to lock it down. Hope I didn’t jinx him.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

And by the way, the runners forgetting how many outs there are on routine flies to get doubled up has now happened at least 3 times since last Friday. Seriously, somebody needed to be fined, benched, suspended, fired or something. That is just embarrassing and evidently nobody is held accountable. This isn’t too hard to get right.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards hold on to win 3-2 and take both games of the two-game set. St. Louis is now 17-12 on the season.

Thursday off.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Helluva job again by Norris. 4 up, 4 down. Martinez with a great outing to set it all up…oh yeah, the homerun too.

Houstonlarry24
    Participant

Free

Great job by Martinez. Hard to believe this team when they come up to bat. I dread the Cub series.

PadsFS
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Legitimate MVP (Pham), Cy Young (Martinez), and Rolaids Relief winner (Norris) on this team.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs currently losing to the Rockies again. Score in this one is 6-2 in the 7th.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Better to win than lose but hopefully the team plays better against the Cubs this weekend. Cmart was good once again and so was Norris.

Cardinal in France
    Participant

Free

A good thing Martinez pitched a brilliant game because he sure didn’t get any help (3 hits!).

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Cubs lose to the Rockies 11-2. Darvish the loser. He is 0-3 with an ERA of 6.00. Arrieta is 3-1 with an ERA of 3.49.

r/Rat

colhusker
    Participant

Free

7 strikeouts and just 4 hits. Good thing 2 of the hits left the park.

Always have said better to win ugly (which we did today) than lose pretty.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Legitimate MVP (Pham), Cy Young (Martinez), and Rolaids Relief winner (Norris) on this team.

Not to be too pedantic, but the reliever award is no longer associated with Rolaids, i.e., it’s the Trevor Hoffman award.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.