2018 Reg Seas Game #27 – at Bucs – Sun 4/29

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #27 – at Bucs – Sun 4/29

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    858booyah
    Participant

Free

They already revamped the coaching staff a bit this offseason. Wasn’t that suppose to help Matheny?

My fear is if the FA like Holland, Fowler and Gregorsen all fail. It will be another excuse from them to not play the FA game and rely on the minors for talent. They already made enough excuses last off season as why they didn’t want this or that guy. Hell they could’ve had Nicasio and Reed for what they paid for Luke and Greg this season. All they had to do was add a year on each deal.

The defensive lapses are part due to to players in positions they shouldn’t be in. Hell I still think Fowler’s rag arm should be in LF and Ozuna in RF.

In all fairness Fowler didn’t really get it going until May and even then he was all .205, .302, .411 on May 25th. Carpenter IDK what’s going on because he can’t even get on base but he didn’t pull it together until May either but right now both are platoon options. Have Carpenter and Martinez platoon at 1st and if you really need MArtinez bat in the lineup that bad you can throw him in LF from time to time when he’s not playing 1st. It’s honestly his best position defensively. Shift Ozuna to rF and if he whines about it tell him to grab some bench and throw Bader in there. He’ll gladly play anywhere in the OF.

The pitching IDK what to do. Maybe hope the starters can go deeper in games and the bullpen works itself out but right now there’s not a whole lot of go to arms out there.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Its time to Sit Carpenter and if there is a physical issue then fix it.Fowler just plain stinks.Trade him for any prospect if you can get anything for him.Fowler and Carpenter are the past.

Nathan Leopold Jr.
    Participant

Free

They are not going to change their model of doing things. Every year it will be “hope” as a strategy to get in the playoffs. Maybe one of these years they’ll get back in or not. But if anyone thinks they are going to change their model and spend like crazy or make big trades…not going to happen. I long ago gave up on this Front Office pushing hard in the off-season. If you want that you’ll have to find another team.

14NyquisT
    Participant

The Pittsburgh partisans only needed to bring little whisk brooms to the game on Sunday to sweep the Cards out of town… and they went without so much as a peep. At this juncture the Cards are not even a wild card contender. This team is just not really that good enough.

RF should be manned by Bader, Gyorko should play every day. Our best hitters are not good defensively and our “last in,first out”, much heralded team leader who plays RF should take a permanent pine seat. Its questionable that he would even start at Memphis.

Right now there is a lack of hustle by the team’s leaders and it is trickling down to the others. The bullpen is in disarray with the new acquisitions brought in to fortify the relief corps are doing everything but (with Norris being the exception). And where is MIA Cecil?, not that he’ll help. Hicks should be back at AAA. Perhaps Tuivailala comes back strong. Gomber is a starter, period. He shouldn’t be hanging around in the bullpen.

If you think that there is more comments after a loss, a 0-3 trip into PIT should bring out those who question the heart of this team. Trying to keep it real.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Here’s a piece from VEB that reiterates a couple of my points.

https://www.vivaelbirdos.com/2018/4/29/17294666/the-dutch-disaster

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Yes we know Mozeliak screwed the pooch with Holland. If he would’ve had some stones to dish out an extra year to those “high mileage” arms he was so concerned about like Nicasio and Reed we’d be in a much better positon bullpen wise not to mention never having to see 2 guys who cant challenge anyone with their fastballs at this point in Gregorsen and Holland.

This appears to be the biggest $14 million dollar mistake bowtie has ever made but hey it only cost us Money and a draft pick. Idiot!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Innings Bud Norris pitched in spring training, leading to many calls for his release = 10

Innings Greg Holland has pitched this season between Palm Beach and St. Louis = 9 1/3

colhusker
    Participant

Free

Innings Bud Norris pitched in spring training, leading to many calls for his release = 10

Innings Greg Holland has pitched this season between Palm Beach and St. Louis = 9 1/3

Brian I am more concerned with a guy leading off hitting .155 and strikeout more than I did in college at the bars than innings of a reliever. Carpenter needs to either sit or get sent down so he can work with a real hitting coach.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

colhusker, I was simply offering another point of view to contrast to the posts that immediately preceded mine regarding the team’s closer.

Carpenter is a separate subject entirely. In fact, there is an entire thread on the subject, including posts by several others who suggested I was overreacting by initiating the discussion.

colhusker
    Participant

Free

I understand what you did, sorry if that wasn’t clear. Just bigger issue at the top of the batting order.

Viewing 10 posts - 26 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.