2018 Reg Seas Game #20 – vs. Reds – Sat 4/21

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #20 – vs. Reds – Sat 4/21

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Free

I guess there is something to batting Yadi second!!!

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Yadi bails out Matheny and Lyons for the moment by parking a hanger. Cards up 4-3 in the bottom of the 7th.

Participant

Free

Thankfully they are playing the Reds and Yadi did his thing yet again. Good work from Hicks.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Hicks with a quick 8th to maintain the 4-3 lead. Hicks has recorded 4 outs on 7 pitches. Will he be allowed to “save” his own victory in the 9th? He’s now the pitcher of record, so he actually wouldn’t be credited with a save.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

that 3-2 pitch to votto should be a strike regardless, in that count in that situation its pretty redic it wasnt called…good win

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Hicks gets the last 7 outs of the game for the win, including a dicey bases-loaded DP to end it.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hicks escapes his own bases loaded jam with a game-ending double play. The 4-3 win improves St. Louis’ record to 12-8.

Participant

Free

Wow that was fantastic. Pitched into and out of trouble and just a marvelous turn on the double play. Just marvelous.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

The only qualm of the game was Lyons being left in for as long as he was. Luckily Molina bailed the team out. Hicks struggled but he showed some awesome poise. A win is a win is a win and we’re beating the teams we should be beating.

grayssportsalmanaccgrayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

Also worth noting that yadi hit (then eclipsed later) 1750 hits with his single, then notched his 800th rbi with his home run.

I know he said he was done after 2020 season, but it would be great to see him get 1k rbis along with the 2k hits..if he keeps hitting at this clip with hrs he might have a chance

Participant

Gregerson gave up a single, why take him out? He burned to bench players with 2 outs. Let Garcia hit. Then he stays with Lyons too long. That’s why he is drives crazy.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

At least when Cecil comes back, he might be able to take Lyons place. He might have gotten one of the four batters he faced.

Yadi off to a great start. He is looking like Ozzie Smith – a guy who is better in the second half of his career than the first. Ironically, Yadi might be a better hitter at this point than his buddy Pujols.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Our 12-8 record is a bit of a mirage though, as the Reds are propping us up. We are now 6-0 vs Cincinnati, and 6-8 vs everyone else.

The Reds are 0-6 vs St. Louis though, and 3-11 against everyone else. They will love getting away from playing the Cardinals for awhile (or at least have a chance to win against another club).

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Bikemike…while it may appear that we have some sort of favorable roll of the schedule, consider that the Cards have only had .500+ teams on their schedule besides the Reds. The “others” have a 48-28 record and that includes the other two NL division leaders and the second place team in our own division. So I wouldn’t exactly say the record is a mirage.

That being said…would like to see them get >.500 on the non-Reds teams soon.

Participant

Free

It’s really difficult to watch Lyons struggle after he was so marvelous in the second half of last year. I thought he would be one of the few sure things on this team. With Gregerson and Holland not exactly pitching like themselves, our bullpen has become a 2-man show with intermittent success from the others (like Lyons on Friday)

Participant

Paid - Monthly

Pads, just what has been wrong with Gregerson’s performance so far? I’d argue he has pitched as good as Hicks or Norris (though infinitesimal sample size).

Participant

Paid - Annual

Another case of the veteran star getting the calls and the rookie pitcher getting squeezed. That umpire had made several strike calls on 3 of the balls to Votto. You can bet those same pitches would have been called strikes on a rookie hitter vs a vet star pitcher.

Why can’t the umpires just call the game by the rules rather than having their own styles and prejudices on what the strike zone should look like.

Lyon’s job is to get lefthanded batters out and he failed to do that against Votto and Gennett. He has done that earlier this year. Had Matheny gone to a right hander against Votto and Gennett and he got torched the same people would be calling a bad decision. Being a major league manager is a no win situation. Immediately on getting the job a number of fans will not like him because they didn’t want him to get the job. If you make a move that doesn’t work you get blasted and if it does you hear nothing. Negative people almost always make the most noise. If you don’t believe that just check out the length of a thread after a loss vs after a win. That is true of almost every team.

I personally don’t have a lot of confidence in Lyons but as a Cardinal fan will always love him for that magnificent game against Pittsburgh a couple of years ago to get us into the playoffs. But he like Bowman has to have his command to be effective.

Participant

Free

CariocaCardinal

Pads, just what has been wrong with Gregerson’s performance so far? I’d argue he has pitched as good as Hicks or Norris (though infinitesimal sample size).

I said not exactly pitching like themselves, but I meant that he’s been injured and hasn’t contributed at all really. Sorry for the vagueness due to brevity.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Another way to look at the Cards’ opponents is this. Putting aside the Reds and the Cubs, against which they are 1-1, the other opponents to date are all wild card-caliber teams (Mets, Snakes and Brewers). For the Cards to become a wild card themselves, they are almost going to have to be better than .417 (a collective 5-7 mark) against these teams in their “weight class”. At least that is my thinking… This Mets series coming up should be interesting in this regard.

Participant

Paid - Annual

I am encouraged by the Cub series. One win and another winnable game if Weaver had been anywhere near his usual effectiveness. We do have to win against the top teams and on the road.

I am more concerned with:
    Ozuna 247/271/346/616
    Fowler 192/310/342/653
    Carpenter 174/322/319/641
    Wong 146/281/208/489

And Waino’s health although Flaherty may do just as well. I do feel that Ozuna will heat up but it is not unusual for one to struggle with a new team. Probably trying to do too much.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

The numbers you show are 100% accurate, Sooner. However, remember that because it is still so early in the season, they can change quickly. For example, just with the one good game Sunday, Wong raised his season OPS 93 points over Saturday and Fowler’s went up by by 53 points over his season-to-date OPS as of the day before. Of course, what they really need is to string some good games together. I bet they did not want the day off today…

Viewing 22 posts - 26 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years