2018 Reg Seas Game #19 – vs. Reds – Fri 4/20

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #19 – vs. Reds – Fri 4/20

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

7:15 p.m., RHP Michael Wacha (2-1, 5.52) vs. LHP Brandon Finnegan (0-1, 10.38), FS Midwest/KMOX

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Grateful Dead night on 4-20

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Hoping for a good game from Wacha and a win for my big brothers 41st birthday…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’ll be “Greatful” if the Reds play “Dead” for a second consecutive weekend, Booyah. But unfortunately, they will clip us once. And to Logan’s big Bro…..happy 41st big guy!!

14NyquisT
    Participant

On Kolten Wong: how soon before we start hearing some of his chatter about not playing regularly. With the 4 players for 3 positions, he is now the odd-man out due to his lack of hitting.

Wong is now 27… 28 on 10/10/18. Another season of non-regular status and the squawking that is expected to follow if he doesn’t turn it around, not only devalues him but can cause uneasiness in the dugout.

I’ve always liked Wong… just getting a little tired of the same old…. same old. I’d very much like to see him breakout starting today, or whenever his next start will be, but IMO, his window may be closing.

C’mon Kolten, somehow give us something to get us back on your side.

grayssportsalmanacc
    Participant

Free

I think you give kolten a mulligan for april considering his defense…

but with gyorko back, he really has no business in the lineup against any lefty, ever, and im guessing come may the team will simply spot start him if this continues…

you feel bad for him because he did change his approach, and it worked for a bit, and it seems like he is really working, just doesnt produce results…

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I think Wong would be a good second basemen if he was allowed to play every day, through thick and thin. But he always gets benched when struggling, and is in that mode where he immediately produces or else.

If allowed to play, I think he would be a Julian Javier type – some good years, and some so-so years, but decent defense and above average speed. Matheny is a manager who looks at day-to-day production with certain guys though, and does not asses the bigger picture (ie seeing what type of player a guy is and letting him work through struggles in order to bring the raw talent out).

“Hoolie” was always one of my dad’s favorites, along with Curt Flood. Speaking of Javier, with those recent reunions of the ’64 and ’67 Cardinal teams, Javier looks great in pictures of those guys. He almost looks like he could still hit a curve ball.

Hoolie was a bit of a mirror image of Wong, as he thrashed left-handers but would struggle against some righties.

bicyclemike

Paid - Annual

Grateful Dead night on 4-20

That stuff is legal here, although I doubt you could sit in your box seat and light up a number without the ushers saying something about it.

I wonder if it will come to where a ball game is similar to a concert, and fans are passing joints down the row in between swigs of beer? After all, the times they are a changin’.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I agree that Wong would perform better if he got to play everyday but it is kind of the chicken or the egg. He has to first consistently perform well to earn the playing time.

Just another reason why I don’t like signing first or second year players to long term deals. Make them earn it year to year until they are closer to FA. They will play hungrier or if they don’t then you aren’t out all of that money. I understand the cost certainty aspect but make them earn it!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree with the chicken and egg assessment, but am not so sure about the contract impact. Is Wong really making that much more money than if he had gone to arbitration every year? Why would that make him complacent? All he has to do is look over to Piscotty’s empty locker to be reminded that a long term deal doesn’t mean his spot on the team is secure.

Yes, I understand the Piscotty’s Mom storyline, but I can assure you, if he had continued to hit like he did in 2016, he would still be a Cardinal. What I do believe is that cost-certainty in his contract was a positive for Oakland as they evaluated the deal. Perhaps that will be the case this winter with Wong if he doesn’t progress and Munoz or Schrock shows they can take over. For those who don’t follow the minors closely, Schrock is currently batting .397 at Memphis.

NJ315
    Participant

Piscotty is doing better lately .844 OPS last 15 games. 1.131 last 7 games. Always liked him and wish him success.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Pitcher hits eighth!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Shake-up begins…

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wacha has got to be better. It is amazing how someone with his talent has done fairly poor the last few years. I think he does not utilize the change up and curve often enough. You just can’t keep pounding fastballs in. I thought when he that outstanding spring training game against the Blue Jays he maybe on the way to his old self. Like anything, it is very early.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I guess it is based on one’s expectations. Wacha was so good early before his shoulder problems.

“Fairly poor” last season: 12-9, 4.13 ERA, 3.63 FIP, 8.6 K/9, 3.0 BB/9, 102 ERA+. Slightly better than average isn’t poor in my book, but agreed that it was not as good as hoped.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Bike-Mike, where are you? Denver?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cards out of the gate quickly in the first with a two-run ground rule double by Molina.

NJ315
    Participant

3-0. After one. DeJong k’s. I hope he figures out putting the ball in play can be as valuable as homer.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From the telecast: Pham is playing despite a sore groin and not feeling well for the last few days.

My question: Why doesn’t any player in sports ever just have a case of the flu, instead of experiencing flu-like symptoms?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Through two plate appearances tonight, Pham has a 1.000 OBP as the leadoff man. And he scores on Martinez’ double for 4-0 lead.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Reds pull Finnegan after three innings down 4-1.

Meanwhile, Wacha is playing with fire.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Three pitch inning for Wacha in the 6th. Do they pull him after 80 pitches or let him pitch the 7th?

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Good match-up move by Matheny to bring in Lyons to face the lefty batter Schebler with two on and two out in the seventh. We will see if it works.

Edit: Riggleman pulls Schebler for back up RHH catcher Mesoraco instead.

Cards dodge a bullet as Lyons does his job, inducing a grounder to Carpenter. However, Carpenter looped the toss to DeJong covering the bag and it was almost too slow to get the runner. In fact, the runner may have been safe, but he was called out and the Reds have used their challenge already.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Hicks warmed up, but Lyons stayed in for the eighth instead and got the three outs. Norris is on for the ninth to try to get the save.

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Norris lets the first 2 runners on. Pham could’ve made a play on that ball but let it fall

Norris get barnhart to ground into a dp.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.