2018 Reg Seas Game #161 – at Cubs – Sat 9/29

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #161 – at Cubs – Sat 9/29

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:05 p.m. Miles Mikolas vs. LHP Cole Hamels (9-11, 3.87 ERA) FOX Network/KMOX

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Well, we are on the brink of elimination. HAVE to win these next two and the Dodgers HAVE to lose the next two. But, no reason to not keep trying. Dodgers down the Giants 3-1 last night. LA turned five doubleplays to help their cause.

I’ll be tuned in with my chili, cheeseburger, cherry delight, Mt. Dew, and then a big cigar. Hoping for the best here.

r/Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Sprinkle a big wad of onions and cheese on top of that chili and you have yourself a meal fit for a king, Rat. You know I love cheese…..but not mingled in on a hamburger for some reason. Mikolas has sure established himself as the Ace of this promising starting rotation. Did anyone of us see that coming this past March? Included in the definition of a “pitching Ace” are the words “skid stopper”. Well that’s exactly what Miles accomplishes today in the Windy City. I’m calling this one 5-1 Birds with Carpenter getting off the schneid to the tune of a 3-4 effort with a towering 2 run tater.

Participant

Free

I, for my part, will be sitting in front of mlbtv with my bowl of disappointment, my cup of bitter beverage and my plate of sour grapes, alas, hoping against hope a miracle happens.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Great stuff, CardinalinFrance! Setting as much prejudice aside as humanly possible, I think we do have the best fans in all of baseball!

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

In the Cubs 1st, with two outs, Munoz cant catch a little pop fly into short right that a good high school player could have caught. It bounces away and Zobrist comes all the way around from 1st to score. 1-0 Cubs early.

Munoz is about like Carpenter and Bozo. He is a HUGE liability in the field. He’s proved that too many times this year. He’s another one that needs to go back to the AL and be a DH. Add him to the list of people I don’t want in St. Louis next year.

r/Rat

Participant

Paid - Annual

Nice clutch pitching from Mikolas and Cmart with the save.Has Mikolas been a lifesaver or what this season.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Best pitching free agent signee of the off-season across all of MLB. I was initially skeptical of him being expected to replace Lynn, but he was even better.

Now the questions will begin if Mikolas should be offered a long-term deal. He can be a free agent again after next season.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The amount of activity on this thread tells all we probably need to know about the way the fans feel about the team’s chances.

Great game by Mikolas, the offense just did enough to win it. Now let’s finish the year with a W and see where we fall. If nothing else, maybe we force the Cubs to the Wild Card.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Good win today and a 5 pitch save for CMart. Giants vs. Kershaw about to get underway, but, hey, anything can happen, right?!

Participant

Paid - Annual

Mikolas has sure been the best pitcher for the Cards.I know many were skeptical that mikolas would be good on his 2nd time around the league this seaqson.I think he fooled many and exceeded expectations.i was figuring on maybe 10 wins maximum from him mainly based on his previous MLB pitching.So glad I was wrong on that.I bet his success makes other teams take a lot closer look at pitchers overseas especially guys with MLB experience.Isn`t Mikolas just turned 30 so he should be a viable pitcher for several years.If he would consider a reasonable extension then why not.With the fragile Startes (CMart,Wacha,Alex Reyes,and the youth (Gomber,Flaherty,Gant,Poncedeleon) a veteran presence would be a asset.No matter which way the FO plays it some will either say a extension would be premature and/if Mikolas gets to free agency after next season some will say the FO sat on their hands again.No win situation.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I believe if the Dodgers win tonight, tomorrow won’t matter for the Cards. And LA is already up 2-0 in the second inning.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’d dangle something like 4 yrs and $60 million with an option in front of Mikolas. If he takes it, we probably have a steady hand for a few years. I think he could be someone like Lackey who can eat innings and pitch effectively into his mid 30s. If he wants more, that’s probably too big a risk.

The bullpen should naturally have more talent next year with a rotation of Cmart, Mikolas, Wacha, Flaherty and Gomber. That would leave Reyes to start in the bullpen along with Gant, Ponce, and Hudson ready to step in if needed (and don’t forget Helsley).

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Giants take 3-2 lead in the third.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Tied at 5 heading into the final three innings.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Once again, in a big game, Kershaw doesn’t get the job done.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

We helped some frei da move today, so I missed the game. Good to see a win, but too little too late. We are pretenders hanging on to the hopes that LA fails.

We can take solace in trying to help the Crew take the division though.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Machado, the St. Louis SS in 2019, just tripled to RF with two outs to knock in the go ahead run. 6-5 Dodgers in the top of the 8th.

About time for Auld Lang Syne……..

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Four straight two out hits by the Dodgers in the top of the 9th and they take a 9-5 lead on San Francisco.

Goodnight 2018……

Participant

We are done.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

10-5 bottom of the 9th.

To paraphrase Bogie in “Casablanca”, “we’ll always have August!”

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

With the 10-6 Dodgers win at San Francisco, St. Louis’ playoff chance is officially extinguished.

LA reaches the post-season for the sixth consecutive year. Meanwhile St. Louis misses three straight.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Can’t believe that the Cubs made Martinez throw 5 whole pitches in the 9th. Crazy bad discipline, but good for us.

Participant

Free

Rats:

Machado a Cardinal in 2019…you’re funny.

Participant

Free

Now the FO will say that we almost made the playoffs so why make any major changes…more tinkering and replacing one guy that needs to leave the team with a player that will be in that same boat in a year or two and no power bat, better baserunning, defense…

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years