2018 Reg Seas Game #149 – vs. Dodgers – Sat 9/15

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #149 – vs. Dodgers – Sat 9/15

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

12:05 p.m. RHP John Gant (7-5, 3.16) vs. LHP Rich Hill (8-5, 3.88) FOX Network/KMOX

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Coming into this series this board became amazingly quiet. Did our community of Cardinal fans astutely get the feeling that the Dodgers were about to dominate this series? Very very bazaar. Up until August we would have killed to be in this situation….tied for the last playoff spot with just a couple weeks to go and having this team that we are tied with in our park for two head to head games. Even considering our recent poor play, how cannot Cardinal fans be totally pumped for this final stretch drive? How about our Birds kicking some Dodger butt these next two games and sending these guys out of town with their tails between their legs instead of having them leave our field late Sunday afternoon with their fists raised towards the heavens in jubilation! Just win this one game on Saturday and then we got em! We’ll come right back on Sunday and beat them again and then emotionally they are all but finished….they came into Busch and accomplished didily squat!

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Pugs, to answer your question I’ve been predicting (at least on twitter) that the Cards will miss the playoffs. They need to salvage this series with a split. Anything other than that and they’re done for in my opinion.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Pugs, I felt coming in that the Cards were primed to be swept. Players look tired, like they used all their energy in August and then hit a wall. It’s easy to forget, but the rotation is basically the preseason #5-9 starters right now. There’s a huge need to get some guys a little rest.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I’m afraid you are correct, BlackHills. Have to take these next two. Maybe our little slump is over and our Redbirds are now poised to play like they did during August. Wasn’t August a thing of beauty? October used to be my favorite month with the baseball playoffs in full swing, the Green Bay Packers ripping apart opponent after opponent and the much awaited arrival of that first freeze that signals the end of the dreaded tick and mosquito’s summer reign. Do our Cardinals have another August in them this year? If so, right now is the perfect time to unleash it.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

A Dodger sweep would all but sink us, stlcard25. Winning just one of the next two keeps us tied with LA of course, but who wants losing 3-4 at home to these guys. This is where our new skipper needs to show everyone what he’s made of and right this floundering ship….does he have the gift?

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

For all that went wrong this year, at least they didn’t pull off this dud (if true):

14NyquisT
    Participant

Mozeliak offered to trade Flaherty? What a dope. I wouldn’t trade Flaherty for Donaldson + the entire Toronto infield.

If he wanted to trade Flaherty, Mo can’t be trusted… not that he ever was. Dump his donkey in the muddy Mississip.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

If true, Mo needs to go the way of MM. And this has nothing to do with 20-20 hindsight. If the Cards brass didn’t know what they had in Flaherty last winter, then we all in Cardinal Nation are in trouble. If I had to guess, I would say that rumor is not a true one. If true, then Mo has nothing on that cubs GM during the Ernie Broglio era.

Ratsbuddy
    Participant

Free

Yasiel Pugs,
    I wasn’t around last night as I was at the Vincennes at Jasper football game. Vincennes won 30-23 and sent the Jasper Wildcats to a 1-4 record on the season. This is unheard of for Jasper as they have only one losing season in the past 61 years. They need to win their last four to salvage the season.

I am hoping to get to the grocery and back in time to fix my lunch and watch the first pitch today.

r/Rat

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

As we are all seeing now, the offense is badly in need of a middle of the order slugger who can be consistently counted on. While trading Flaherty for one year of Donaldson would be foolish, I could see that for two years of a ’15-’16 Donaldson. As hindsight would have it, Jack went from an unknown commodity to looking like a future #1 starter in this one year, while Josh sat most of the season out. Thankfully, either the rumor was not true or the Jays were dumb enough not to take it.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Marp gets a day off and plenty of righties in the lineup.

mudville
    Participant

Paid - Annual

The bottom line is that we still have Flaherty, and Mozeliak was at the helm the whole time.

Bw52
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I see Shildt going to sink or swim with JMart………..crazy IMHO.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

This September slump needs to end today. They should be told that anyone who gets rung up with runners on will be benched tomorrow. And if they’re not swinging on first pitch strikes, the coaches, Willie included, should be in their face. This isn’t rocket science, base runners are needed to win games.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

The Cards have regressed to who they are…which takes us back to the incoherent roster courtesy of Mo. He can’t be shown the door soon enough for me. Matheny, Shildt or anyone else isn’t going to seriously threaten to win a championship with all the missing and mismatched pieces of this roster.

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

The asymmetric advantage we used to have with Yadi’s leadership, ability to get the best out of every pitcher and ability to throw out runners at second has now been overcome by his inability to run (with or without a hamstring pull). Any ground ball he hits to the infield is an automatic out, not to mention he can’t tag up except at third for deep fly balls. He’s not the same backstop he used to be either. After this season, it’s time for him to start the clock towards the HOF. He’s one of the many changes we need to make. All that said, it’s becoming apparent that August was an aberration.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

I’ve realized for the past couple of weeks it was perhaps too quick of a decision to extend Shildt a 3-year contract. I guess Waiting until the season ended to perform a true managerial search would have cut into the FO’s time to do nothing to improve the bullpen and offense.

LoganAlpha30X7
    Participant

Free

Signing Shildt may have been their big offseason acquisition…yes I know that it happened during the season and all but…

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Wonder what the record is for the shortest period of time from a manager receiving a 3+ year contact and his/her firing? I’m not advocating that for our new skipper…..but it’s a darn right shame that I’m even thinking of it.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

3 homers! If there were no “i” in “Puig”……we could be brothers!

CardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Agree. The FO was delusional that they had a playoff team when they fired Matheny. Schildt has done better for sure, but we need a manager who has an instinct for winning.

Puig just clobbered his third HR this game, and fans are booing big time. 13-4 bad guys.

Euro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Signing Shildt may have been their big offseason acquisition…

Hadn’t thought of that one, but I don’t think Mo would make that claim. I think touting a rejuvenated Fowler as being almost like a big roster addition is more his speed.

BlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

That’s 5 home runs for Puig in 2 days. Bonkers.

PugsleyAddams
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Speaking of home runs, no way Carp wins the NL homer title….he’ll be darn fortunate to bang out 40.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 34 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.