2018 Reg Seas Game #13 – at Reds – Thu 4/12

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 Reg Seas Game #13 – at Reds – Thu 4/12

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Author
    BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

This has been a very disappointing game for Ozuna. 10 LOB now as he is 1-5 tonight.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Forget about those missed opportunities. The Cards could have scored 20 tonight.

stlcard25stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Feels good to break out a bit there. Now let’s get going on stringing together hits the rest of this series!

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mike Mayers mop-up mound man.

RatsbuddyRatsbuddy
    Participant

Free

back to back homers by Martinez and Molina then five straight walks, a sac fly, and a bloop double that should have been caught and the Cards plate seven runs in the 7th.

12-4 at stretch time.

r/Rat

Participant

Free

Didn’t take long to see Mayers in action. There could be a strong chance he pitches multiple innings. It would make sense.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

If you want Mayers to stay in longer, someone will need to tell MM he has already achieved his double switch quota for the night.

Speaking of that, I wonder when and why the double switch rule was first created?

As another aside, the field mic has picked up a number of f-bombs tonight from the hitters.

Participant

Free

2 innings from Mayers? Goodness, am I dead? Did I die? I’m completely shocked.

What are the odds we see Mayers go back out for the 9th?

Participant

Free

Answered my question…chances are 100%

Was that Mayers first MLB PA/AB of his career?

Participant

Free

That was a mercy strike 3 call on DeJong. That baby was looooooow.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Yes, apparently that was Mayers’ first official MLB plate appearance. Still no official AB, though, as he walked.

Participant

Free

Brian, your comment about the double switch made me do a quick google search. According to BoSox Injection on Fansided the first double switch on record was done by Player-Manager Clark Griffith on August 2, 1906.

Who was the first to pull the “Double Switch”?

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For the record, the Cards win 13-4 to improve their season mark to 6-7.

Thanks for the link, BHC. Instead of wondering aloud, I should have just searched myself. Then again, now others can read that article, too.

Participant

Free

Lots of info in that article.

By the way, MM used the bullpen perfectly tonight. Using Mayers for the final 3 innings after getting the huge lead was the right call.

Participant

Free

Good win for the good guys. Now let’s hope they saved some runs for the next few games, I’m kidding just a little. Seriously it’s nice to see them get a game like that and hope it carries over for a few games.

Participant

Free

I was hoping going up against one of the worst teams and worst pitching staffs in baseball would just be what this pathetic offense would need to wake up and looks like it did last night!

Participant

Free

The offense woke up but Ozuna was awful at the plate last night.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Speaking of…

Participant

Free

Pitchers are smart, they don’t want to walk Ozuna to put him on in front of RBI machine Jose Martinez.

Participant

Free

BlackHillsCard

I love how Carp said he’s not a .240 hitter and would change his approach. I guess he meant .240 was too high for him as he still has twice as many K’s as Hits.

You have to assume he will break out soon. All we need is for him to stay healthy once he does.

Participant

We should take 3 out of 4 but I think a sweep is a good possibility.

Participant

Paid - Annual

Great win last night. Good to see Mayers get three innings of quality work.

At a minimum we need to take 3 out of 4 this weekend and preferably get the sweep against arguably the worst team in baseball.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

I love how Carp said he’s not a .240 hitter and would change his approach. I guess he meant .240 was too high for him as he still has twice as many K’s as Hits.

That reminds me of when Leo Durocher took over as Cubs manager after the 1965 season and said “This is not an 8th place ball club”. He proved prophetic, guiding the North-Siders to a 10th place finish in 1966.

But I do wonder about Carpenter. He had that great 2013, then noticeably tailed off in ’14. He came back with solid years in ’15 and ’16, but his batting average and slugging has fallen off since. His slow start this year makes you wonder how much his back problems have impacted his production.

Once Gyorko returns, our best lineup might include Jedd, Wong and Martinez at the positions Carpenter is used. Carp might be a guy you use to pinch hit, and spot play now and then. Of course I do not think Matheny would do that unless Carpenter is legitimately injured.

Viewing 23 posts - 26 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years