2018 MLB Awards thread

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2018 MLB Awards thread

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bob, you are not the first to attempt to choose my words for me, but certainly the most civil! 😉

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Mark Simon of Sports Info Solutions, who is part of the Fielding Bible process, wrote an article for The Atlantic (subscription required) that breaks down the three second base candidates for the Gold Glove. The essence of his analysis is that Wong edges out LeMahieu, with Baez a distant third.

https://theathletic.com/625343/2018/11/01/javier-baez-dj-lemahieu-or-kolten-wong-sizing-up-each-of-the-nl-second-base-gold-glove-finalists/

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

LeMahieu repeats as NL Gold Glove Award winner at second base. I am guessing Wong’s late-season injuries are why.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

It was always going to be close, but I agree that the late season injuries probably sealed it.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Yadi wins his 9th Gold Glove.

Onyxgem
    Participant

Free

Once again voters are dumb as can be and can’t figure out the best 2B in the league defensively….morons!

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

858booyah
    Participant

Free

Maybe if Wong can stay on the field and hit a little more he’ll take one of those home someday.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Cardinals27
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Congrats Yadi, on winning 2018 Gold Glove. A surprise for sure. Wong doesn’t win.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

For those who like their information delivered via IV drip…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

One more Gold Glove post. Bader did make the final SABR Defensive Index. He was second to the GG winner in CF, Ender Inciarte, 10.6 to 7.6.

Harper was dead last in RF at -11.9.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Neither Flaherty nor Bader placed among the top three in the NL Rookie of the Year vote. They are Soto, Buehler and Acuna.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Brian Walton

Keymaster
    For those who like their information delivered via IV drip…

You mean like the weeks and weeks it takes this board to announce its top prospect list? LOL J/K
    I’m sure I’ll get some mean responses on that one.

Actually I don’t like the awards announcements either. Not just because they drag it out but because I’ve never been that interested in emphasizing individual achievements. I’m more interested in how the team is doing. Who the MVP is or who is in the HOF is boring to me.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Touche’ on the top prospect list! But at least we provide significant content with every player announced daily. I take great pride in having new, meaningful Cardinals content posted here 365 days a year. During the off-season, that includes the list rollout.

stlcard25
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I like the prospect rollout…having it all come out at one time would be information overload.

Anyway, this was a very strong list of rookies. Bader or Flaherty may have won it in other years, but didn’t even make the final list.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I agree on the rookie influx, stlcard25. It is exciting to see all the young talent reach the majors. And there are also some very good players knocking on the door that I saw in the AFL.

14NyquisT
    Participant

Actually I don’t like the awards announcements either. Not just because they drag it out but because I’ve never been that interested in emphasizing individual achievements. I’m more interested in how the team is doing.

I agree with G on the awards along with HOF and the All-Star game, and that home run thing? But I get it… some people like it.

I do, however, like the prospects list. And Brian, take your time…. its going to be a long winter.

The first sign of Spring doesn’t come until they start loading the equipment trailers that will head on down to Jupiter.

gscottar
    Participant

Paid - Annual

I admire you guys who are really interested in who our 63rd best prospect is but I’m just not there yet. I can handle top 25 or 30 but beyond that you really get into the weeds. Maybe next year.

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Bovada provides the gambler’s odds:

Odds to win 2018 American League MVP
    Mookie Betts 4/17
    Mike Trout 9/2
    Jose Ramirez 8/1

Odds to win 2018 American League Cy Young
    Blake Snell 5/12
    Corey Kluber 4/1
    Justin Verlander 4/1

Odds to win 2018 American League Rookie Of The Year
    Shohei Ohtani 1/2
    Miguel Andujar 2/1
    Gleyber Torres 10/1

Odds to win 2018 National League MVP
    Christian Yelich 4/9
    Javier Baez 9/5
    Nolan Arenado 17/2

Odds to win 2018 National League Cy Young
    Jacob deGrom 1/5
    Max Scherzer 7/2
    Aaron Nola 18/1

Odds to win 2018 National League Rookie Of The Year
    Ronald Acuña, Jr 1/3
    Juan Soto 11/5
    Walker Buehler 28/1

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Because more defensive awards are needed…

Brian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Viewing 24 posts - 26 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.