2017 MLB Game #159: Cards vs. Cubs Thu Sep 28

Home The Cardinal Nation Forums Open Forum 2017 MLB Game #159: Cards vs. Cubs Thu Sep 28

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

17 Strikeouts and just 6 hits. Mabry please pack your bags and go.

colhuskercolhusker
    Participant

Free

And you can put a fork in this team. Time for the front office to get busy. A lot of holes that need filled.

Participant

17 and 15. Season over.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Well, there we have it. In this series, the Cubs eliminated the Cards from the division race, clinched, then eliminated the Cards from the wild card. St. Louis finishes 5-14 vs. Chicago in 2017.

Participant

Free

Our front office probably already has plans to just sleep through the offseason meetings and then sign some nobody and make a minor trade before calling it good…

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

A pathetic and gutless performance from the offense. And why Matheny insist on bringing Bowman into games at this point is beyond me. Bowman’s arm is going to fall off and don’t be surprised if he is having to get TJ surgery next season.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

A fitting end to our hopes. A 2-1 extra inning loss where an error put the winning run on second base. Matheny trotted out pitcher after pitcher despite each guy going well. Maddon stuck with his guy who was doing the job, which is probably the better approach in an extra inning game. Sort of a microcosm of the season, although we got good bullpen work tonight. Even Cecil had a great inning.

bicyclemikebicyclemike

Paid - Annual

…amd to top it off, we could not even beat their “B” team.

CardsRedSox4EverCardsRedSox4Ever
    Participant

Free

Elimination game and 17 strikeouts. That’s a team that just doesn’t have the desire to win. Tonight’s loss is not unexpected, it’s merely the culmination of the flaws we’ve been noting since spring training. Big changes needed in all phases of play and team management if we don’t want another 5 years of this nonsense.

Participant

Free

The differences between us is they’ve got 2 cornerstone players and we’ve got none. No one on this team would be a franchise player anywhere. No disrespect to Molina but had we not extended him he’d be a great veteran on a club but not a cornerstone player. He’s an icon here but he’s not a cornerstone any longer. He had a good season.

And be careful on Lynn. His last 5 starts might scare some away from giving him a 4-5 year deal that he wants. He might very take the QO and try and prove he’s a 200 inning pitcher. He’d be a year stronger and past TJ. I’d give it a 30% chance seeing as he’s in that 2nd tier of starters and those don’t get 18-20 million a year 4-5 year deals.

BlackHillsCardBlackHillsCard
    Participant

Free

Leaked got that kind of deal. Oh wait…nevermind.

Euro DandyEuro Dandy
    Participant

Free

Embarrassing finish to the season for the Cards. I wonder if Mo and Mike refer to Theo and Joe as their daddies? I can’t wait to see some shrewd wheeling and dealing by Mo over the next few months.

Participant

Free

Embarrassing finish to the season for the Cards. I wonder if Mo and Mike refer to Theo and Joe as their daddies? I can’t wait to see some shrewd wheeling and dealing by Mo over the next few months.

I assume that is sarcasm because it is very funny.

Participant

Free

I’m not saying someone won’t pay it. I’m saying some of the big players may back off a bit. Chicago being one of those.

Maybe Anaheim or SF take a risk. He’d do well in OC minus the beach body he lost and the extra hitter he’d face and walk every other AB. I’d think if Cueto opts out that he could land in SF on a nice deal. Both Pitchers parks! Maybe even Seattle.

I’m saying his value hasn’t been lower since he went on the shelf. Some teams have to be scared away and honestly would you rather commit to a 1-2 year deal on a Lackey type guy or on Lynn and 4-5 years.

Lynn has always been a guy I’ve been warm and cold on. He can really do some good things but he can frustrate you with command and pitch count. He has command issue for sure at times but if he gets a 4 or 5 year deal for $18 million per he’d be dumb not to take it. I think he could perform at least at this years level at least for 4 years of a deal maybe even better if he gets his stamina up.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

I don’t think Lynn’s season finish will hurt him as a free agent. Fading a bit at the end is not all that surprising or concerning to me. After all, he threw 186 innings the first year off Tommy John. He is only 30 so should get four or five years.

Participant

IMHO, the Cardinals have enough starting pitcher depth that they don’t need to sign Lynn to a huge contract. They have to live with Waino’s last year, and have Wacha,
    Martinez, Weaver, and either Flaherty or Gant to fill out the rotation. Reyes on the mend and Hudson and Gomber in the wings. Not bad at all.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

Agreed, but some of that pitching depth may be moved in trades.

Participant

Agree, but I don’t see any of the above being moved. Probably a few from a list of Pearce, Helsley, Gallen, Woodford, O’Keefe, Hicks, Oviedo, Jones, Fernandez, etc.

Brian WaltonBrian Walton
    Keymaster

Paid - Annual

From the names you listed, I question why Gant, Hudson and Gomber would be off-limits. They might even have to give up one of Weaver or Flaherty to make a really big deal. They are going to have to give up quality to get quality. Quantity alone may not be enough.

Participant

My guess is that they would like to keep 8 at the top end to have 3 that are major league ready to fill in to cover for injuries.
    We know that Waino, Wacha, Martinez, and Weaver are in penned in. Flaherty, Gant, Reyes, and Gomber give them the 8. Gallen is probably a keeper too until they know Reyes is well on the recovery road.

thejagerthejager
    Participant

Paid - Annual

blah… bummer of a loss…amazing catch though

been such an up and down season, but it could have been a lot worse

we saw lots of young talent show their promise, had to say goodbye to some veterans, and had to deal with some very spotty play from stalwarts

it will be a very interesting offseason to say the least….

but we have 3 more games of baseball to watch and i am going to enjoy every pitch. We could still get 2nd in the division and be 1st out in the WC…. it’s not much to get excited about but i’d rather be 2nd than 3rd

Go Cards!

Viewing 21 posts - 26 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

First-hand news and commentary on the St. Louis Cardinals™ and minor league system for over 20 years